breaking news

Jim Lang Ousted From Sportsnet Fan 590

September 10th, 2013 | by torontosportsmedia
Jim Lang Ousted From Sportsnet Fan 590
sports and toronto

by TSM

“We are very excited to bring Greg and Jim together as the FAN 590 morning team,” said Don Kollins, Program Director, Sportsnet Radio The FAN 590. “Both have great sports knowledge, are well respected Toronto broadcasters, and they like to have fun. Listeners already love these guys after just a couple weeks together.”

That was Don Kollins on March 10, 2011.

Today????

Not so much.

As we’ve speculated for a long time, change has come once again to the fan 590.

The timing is curious.

The morning show has been achieving good steady numbers, which suggests there is more in play here.

As I’ve told you before, there are many folks smarter than me who keep telling me that things are going to change at media outlets when a new head hauncho takes over Rogers. Could this be a pre-cursor?

Another possibility is financial. As you know, when Kollins made his first string of massive changes, we were told that the reason the changes occurred when they did was that Kollins was incentivized by not having the severance packages of the departed count against his next year budget. Could this have happened again?

Was another name too hard to pass up??? Andrew Walker has been telling anyone that will listen that he’s leaving a role in Calgary to play a major role on the Toronto Sports radio scene.

Morning radio is tough. The competition is pretty fierce. If you are on an all sports station you have to talk about the events of the night before and the day ahead while mixing in the proper amount of pop culture and news of the day. As someone who tries to write an article every day I can’t imagine how hard it would be to talk about things on a daily basis when, lets be honest there isn’t a whole lot of subject matter.

I can’t imagine being on the radio every day in Toronto this past summer can you? I mean the disaster that was the baseball season, what more was there to say? Unfortunately, the vast majority of the audience doesn’t really care about all that much about anything but the local team. Yes the big news stories but the day to day stuff???

In the end, success comes from chemistry. Either you have people working together who have it or they don’t.

Brady drives that show. When he is on the air, it’s clearly his show. So he needs a sidekick. I thought Lang did that quite well.

While Lang was really strong on the football side, it was the other sports where he was weaker, in my opinion.

Jim also couldn’t play the host role. He couldn’t drive the show. There are those who have the ability and those who do not. Not a knock. It is what it is.

It’s too bad because, by all accounts Jim Lang is one of the good guys. The show was doing well and still the change was made.

I only hope that he lands on his feet. He’s too talented not to.

As for the future of the show?

We’ll let you know when we hear anything.

Quick question, is it just me or does the new look NYPost.com website blow?

If we are past Labor Day shouldn’t we have had an article by Steve Simmons and Larry Brooks on a Sunday?

No Brooks, No Simmons on a Sunday is like not having the Argos play the Ticats on Labour Day.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Mat says:

And on the 7th day God stopped Steve Simmons from writing an article, and the Toronto sports world rejoiced

2. Daniel says:

Jim Lang totally seems like a good guy, and you hate to see anyone lose their job. But, maybe this had to do with him being billed (and likely paid?) as a co-host, when the show was clearly driven by Brady. I mean, you can take Lang out of the show and things will probably not change all that much. But take Brady out and it’s a totally different show. I think Lang would be better suited for Farwell’s old role.

3. mike (in boston) says:

One has to wonder if Brady was consulted before this move. I can’t remember the last co-host duo where one was fired and the other retained in the same role. If Brady fought against the move, I have to think that would count for something. With TSN Radio in town, the threat of leaving has some real bite to it.

All we hear is that radio station make their money selling adverts during the drive times. I wonder if the FAN will consider moving Tim&Sid. Their edutainment shtick (wacky sounds, pop culture references, jokes, not taking calls, bro-talk) is well suited to that time slot. The move makes a lot of sense.

As someone who can’t stand the format of morning radio, I would be against the move, but i’m probably in the minority.

4. Steph says:

This show is a train wreck, almost more so than Richards! Brady and his low brow “titties and sports” jokes are the worst. Lang was also pretty brutal sidekick. The arguing different ides of the coin slots were beyond stupid. Tim and Sid are far and away the best things going, insightful, funny and original. If they got the morning spot they’d be amazing.

5. Neal says:

I liked listening to Brady, Lang, Farwell/Walker. Too bad Lang won’t be heard from in the mornings…I found he was Brady’s Yang to Brady’s Ying. It’ll be interesting to see who takes over the co-host chair. I wonder if Tim and Sid will end up in the morning slot with maybe Brady and Walker moving to afternoons leading up to PTS?

6. Rob says:

As someone who was saddened with the demise of the previous cohosts (Laundry and Stellleck) it was Lang that kept me around long enough to buy into the new lineup. Brady’s arrogance and smirk was offset by Lang’s gentleman like demeanor and now I fear for what might come of Brady’s ego if left unchecked! This is a sad day for Toronto Sports radio, but might be just what TSN radio needs. Unless Tim and Sid or even Blair (although the hours wouldn’t do for his paper deadlines) move into that time slot, this might be another Andrew Krystal type move for the Fan!!

7. Paul Young says:

Brady never shut his big yap for long enough for Lang to speak

8. Scott says:

Those guys had amazing chemistry. I’m shocked by the move. I think that it was a very big mistake. I switched to ESPN radio years ago. Those guys brought me back (in the morning anyway).

9. Darrell says:

Don Kollins has screwed up the radio station – to blast his decisions again just gets tiring. He makes lineup changes to the station roster more often than people change a pair of underwear in a given week.

I am sure TSN Radio is hoping the FAN keeps Kollins there as he is screwing up their competition and as far as this website goes a lot of people seem to be leaning to TSN Radio for the morning show.

The only people I can listen to during the week is Tim + Sid during the workday + the only way I can see Kollins finally fixing it is moving Greg Brady out of the morning show + putting Tim + Sid in that time slot.

10. Gary says:

I always thought this was easily the FAN’s weakest time slot. It’s the only slot of the day where my default is TSN radio. Someone needs to teach Brady how to ask a question. He might be the worst interviewer on the radio. Sorry to see a guy lose his job but truth be told, I would love a fresh start in the a.m. slot.

11. HUNTER says:

Hopefully Brady is the next to go followed closely by the other annoying hacks Sam & Ted. Don Kollins has brought a whole new meaning to the term unlistenable radio.

12. HUNTER says:

The best on air duo by far on sports radio is Tatti & Hogan 7-11pm TSN Radio.

13. Dan says:

@HUNTER

“The radio ratings system in Toronto is an ongoing inaccurate joke that does not in any way reflect the true and accurate radio show listening preferences of millions of people living in the GTA.”

Maybe you should just post the ratings every quarter, as it’s obvious you seem to know what everybody in the GTA is listening to at any one time. Just because the ratings don’t reflect what you and your chump friends listen to, doesn’t mean they are wrong.

14. HUNTER says:

@ Dan STFU only a fool like you would believe the Toronto radio ratings system is accurate.

It’s well known fact that radio ratings are based off a few dozen to a few hundred listeners. Hardly an accurate measurement with millions of potential listeners in the GTA now is it you douche bag.

15. Datg says:

Lang was good, he came across ascavreal guy, not some celebrity. It’s true he couldn’t carry the show, but so what? Brady is ok, not great. Problem is the TSN mornings aren’t great, Richards can be good but then he goes goofy. His co host – Bastil I think – is just plain bad.
    The new guy on The Fan doesn’t add anything to the show he’s no better than Farwell.
    I don’t understand these people wanting Tim & Sid, they are the worst show on radio. Dumb and dumber aren’t funny and they don’t bring any intelligence. I don’t understand why they are on.

16. The Meatriarchy says:

They fired the wrong guy. Brady is the single reason I don’t listen to the fan in the morning anymore.

I could tolerate Tim and Sid for sure – they are the best thing on 590 right now.

Other than that I pretty much a TSN radio guy for now.

If the fan moves Tim and Sid to the am slot Richards will get creamed.

17. KJ says:

I like Lang, it’s too bad he was turfed. I guess Kollins is continuing his canning of past 590 talent. I can’t stand Brady. He comes across as arrogant and never gave the respect (it seems) on the air to Lang. Oh, I can’t wait for another Detroit or Western U story, geesh!

As for Tim and Sid, I have all the time for Tim, but Sid isn’t funny and his opinions are just plain dumb. To be honest, much of my afternoon listening after Hockey Central has been with the Brian Hayes show, only because of the additions of Jamie McLennan and Jeff O’Neill.

18. Mike says:

I like Brady’s commentary and always felt that Lang was not an appropriate counterbalance. He never was able to argue well enough against Greg. Andrew, however is very sport knowledgeable and able to argue his points well. I like the change. I really liked Farwell’s commentary as well. I’m sorry to see him move on. Doing Kitchener Ranger games and then driving to Toronto must have been a killer!

19. MF says:

Lang was like a third nipple. Completely useless. He reminded me of the sports commentator who says stuff like ‘you need to score goals to win the hockey game’.

He might be a good guy, but he was a horrible radio host. Brady may be a prick, but at least he seems like he knows what he’s talking about, and even when I disagree with him, he can articulate why he believes what he does.

That being said, Tim and Sid are still far and away the best thing in Toronto sports radio. Only when they’re together though.

20. rogue says:

Brady is just plain out arrogant, Detroit and Western stories included. Tim and Sid are the least knowledgeable twits in TO and basically border on immature what with their stupid update ‘horn’. A couple of monkeys could deliver the same quality that they bring, or don’t.

21. Adam says:

Brady should take a page from his NI pal Colin Murray who is on TalkSport 1089 in the UK, biting sarcasm without the negative acid and some humility/humour thrown in, a bit of class you could say. Brady a bore and always has been gratingly annoying.

22. Dave says:

I gotta be honest. I got turned off by Brady and Lang in the morning. So much so that I’m a Mike Richards fan. I love his morning show. I drive for a living. The fan lost me when Pat Marsden passed away. The fan morning show hasn’t been the same since. I need to laugh and be interested in a sports view of the host as well.
    As for Tim and Sid, can’t stand them. The fan has lost me, I’m a TSN guy now.

23. Kane says:

I found Lang so very whiny when he made any kind of point on any subject, but still they were the duo that I always listened to in the morning. TSN, not so much. Brady is full of himself and someone in an earlier comment made me laugh when he talked about his ego unchecked. Brady, Lang and Farwell made a good combo.
    Ive actually gone back to FM music! I do enjoy Tim & Sid, that would be a smart move… but they probably love their hours now. Get up late, get home at a reasonable time.

24. D'Arcy McGee says:

I fall outside the Fan’s desired demographic, because I’m an old guy. My morning listen is back & forth between 590 & 640 in Toronto. Brady is smarmy, but knows his stuff. He’s a lousy interviewer, & sometimes seems starstruck by the folks he’s talking to. Tim & Sid…ugh, makes me wretch. McCowen fast approaching his best before date. Bobcat now Fatcat.

25. Richard says:

Feel sorry for Lang, seems like a nice guy. Brady is terrible. TIm and Sid are also terrible. Who on earth hired them? They talk about “music” half the time. It’s meant to be a sports show! And they keep saying “hash tag” for some reason. What on earth does that mean? Thankfully McCown is still going strong…

26. AJ says:

seems that everyone’s opinion is different and there’s no right or wrong one. i for one liked brady and lang as a team. i think brady is amazingly witty and lang was a perfect sidekick. i prefer lang over the new guy.

tim and sid are more suited for the younger demographic and since their days on the the score i have thought of them as contemporary geniuses.

mccowan is alright, though i don’t like listening to him much due to his part time arrogance and his repeated use of “umm…”.

i was also a fan of landry and stellick and was sad to see them go.

did not like andrew krystal at all. nothing personal but his voice was too deep for me to listen to first thing in the morning. and i felt like his topics were often approached with too serious of a tone.

and i don’t like a single thing about TSN radio other than randle the handle’s betting show. i don’t find mike richards very entertaining and czabulski would say “listen…” too often, though i find him to be a pretty good host and interviewer.

everyone has their preferences and let’s leave it at that. you losers that attack a radio host’s personality or character need to get a life.

27. Jerry in KW says:

WOW….I’m late to the party in finding out that Jim Lang was canned.
    Just goes to show that I totally tuned out the Brady and Lang Show but it was due to Brady being as many others said…smarmy and arrogant and nothing to do with Jim Lang
    As for Tim and Sid…….even my 3 yr daughter find them immature and downright stupid!

Bryan Hayes is the best sports radio guy in Toronto! (maybe near the top of Toronto radio guys regardless of format)

28. Enrico says:

Clearly nothing to do with Lang.He was given
    A supporting role the show format change due to the competitiveness of the business making today show withr Walker more in tune with what is on and succefull today