breaking news

Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

January 19th, 2012 | by robg

by RobG

Freestyle skier Sarah Burke died earlier today from injuries sustained while training last week.

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN tonight from 4-7pm, Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown. Stephen Brunt co-hosts from 5pm:

400 – Phones
500 – Dave Andrews, president of the AHL, in studio
520 – Darren Rovell, CNBC
600 – Kelly Hrudey, HNIC
620 – Dan Robson, Sportsnet ski analyst
640 – Nigel Reed, soccer analyst

On TSN Radio 1050 from 4-7pm, Cybulski & Co., with guest hosts Dan O’Toole & Jay Onrait:

TBA

On TSN (5pm) & TSN2 (6:30pm), Off the Record, with guest host Cabral Richards:

Eric Dickerson and Eddie George
Gary Payton
James Duthie

Tonight on Sportsline:

TBA

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Rovell and Bob always seem to discuss weird things though. They spent almost half of a segment about Rovell’s future daughter’s name last month. >_>

2. Daver says:

I guess the death of a Canadian skier doesn’t count as news to you, does it?

3. Bob says:

If you need to use up a box of tissue in a hurry, go to the Star’s website and watch the Sara Burke You Tube video!

I’m sure the Lord will look after such a beautiful, energetic, positive young lady who obviously loved her life and died doing what she loved!

Suddenly Leafs, Blue Jay’s, Raptors, nor Talk Show Hosts, do not seem all that important.

God Bless her husband, family and friends!

4. alex says:

Rovell and Deitsch got it a twitter fight last night.

I suggested they settle it on neutral ground, aka bobs show.

5. Sam says:

Dan Robson was on to talk about Sarah Burke.

6. alex says:

Wasnt there a different 6:20 originally, before the news broke about Burke?

7. Rome says:

Was anybody taken aback that they went ahead with an hour of angry Jays callers when much more important story happens right before you went on air. Now I like angry Jays talk as much as anybody, but at the time how does the biggest sports radio show not do an audible and have somebody on this sad event ASAP? Yes Robson did get on eventually, but only came on after a couple of hours. That just kind of floored me.

It reminded me a bit when Jeff Carter & Richards on the same day were traded, right before PTS and McCown went with the first hour with the scheduled horse racing talk and ESmith & Jones talking basketball strike. I thought that was just lazy, but that is nothing compared to today.

8. Bob wasn’t on tv, so I suppose they felt there was no point dealing with it. I don’t know whether that’s right or wrong because I don’t know how important TV is to the FAN590’s programming decisions. It wasn’t the national hour either. I’m sure they’ll probably talk about her tragic death tomorrow though.

The callers also could have decided to talk about her death instead of being angry Jays fans, but they didn’t either. The FAN put it in the audience’s hands to decide what to talk about and the audience chose the Blue Jays.

9. Dustin says:

At least TSN did the right thing and talked about Sarah-only for the first 40 minutes of the show.

Some people may hate them, but I wish Jay and Dan always had a daily show. They bring an absolute fresh taste to the radio, but when its time to be serious, they can be very good as well.

10. Mike S says:

Hey Cam…………….thanks for the link……………..I am a fan of tennis (and Twitter) so I found the Rovell-Deitsch exchange interesting

11. Alex says:

I can understand wanting to discuss the story in the national hour. Why they didnt before is a different issue?

How often does pts devote multiple segments to a breaking news story? I cant think of anything off the top of my head. What did they (on the day) when the fellow died at the olympics?

12. Dok says:

Alex, I want to say that was a Saturday I think so there would not have been a PTS that day.

Should they have talked about it yes, but really what can you say in that story

13. Mike S says:

The death of the Georgian luger happened on the afternoon before the Opening Ceremonies, which were on a Friday night……………..I remember the PTS roundtable talking about it quite a bit (they couldn’t believe that the television networks weren’t covering the story more)…………..I don’t remember if McCown had any guests on the subject…………….he might have had Blair on because Blair was in Whistler at the time the accident happened

14. Dok says:

Thanks for the correction. I remembered being home when it happioned as I showed my wife the video on the PVR before going to get groceries, so I assumed it was a weekend

15. Alex says:

Does do more of these meandering segments than he used to do?

First, the Ugg boot segment with Rovell. Today, basically killing the first segment of the 4:00 hour with Neil Smith discussing Southern stereotypes.

16. Another Steve says:

With all of the flaws, I will still take McCown over O’Toole and Onrait.

I listened to O’Toole and Onrait a bit on Monday and, while they weren’t horrible, the singing of lead-in music sounded really really desperate to sound goofy.

17. I found the ugg boot discussion cute. It’s not like most discussions with Rovell are about super serious subjects. I mean he talks about competitive eating quite a lot. xD