Wilbur’s Trade Proposal- Would You take Avery?

So Wilbur had an interesting thought tonight on his radio program. Trade Blake to Dallas for Avery and a second round pick. Wilbur also thought there was a way to do it through waiver so the buds would only have to pay Avery 2 million per. So Buds fans, would you make that deal???

lt67
lt67
December 31, 2008 12:22 am

Eggbert
Eggbert
December 31, 2008 1:10 am

I’d prefer Dan Maloney,Avery is a sideshow distraction

The Meatriarchy
December 31, 2008 9:09 am

Not a chance. Blake has actually played decently as of late.

mf37
December 31, 2008 10:47 am

I agree that Blake has been playing really well of late, but in the land of hypothetical trades, I’d make this deal with one big caveat: only if the Leafs can immediately put Avery back on waivers.

The Leaf’s shed Blake’s cap hit and get a much needed additional second round pick just for paying Avery not to play.

If Avery can’t be dumped, no way I make this deal.

Back in the land of reality – with the Stars right up against the cap, I don’t know how they assume Blakes $4M cap hit. There’s no way this deal can go down as is, especially with the Stars looking at nine (yes nine) players hitting UFA status and four more becoming RFAs next year.

torontosportsmedia
torontosportsmedia
December 31, 2008 11:15 am

I totally agree. This is a game about moving assets. If Blake is moveable you do it.

Down Goes Brown
December 31, 2008 11:42 am

I would do this deal, assuming the idea is to tell Avery to stay at home and then buy him out at the end of the year.

You’d get rid of Blake’s contract, which is one of the worst in the league, and add a high second rounder. It’s a no-brainer.

puckbuddy
puckbuddy
December 31, 2008 12:59 pm

“assuming the idea is to tell Avery to stay at home and then buy him out at the end of the year.”

Teams cant do that… I recall some from the NHLPA did make threats when people were suggesting that we took that action with McCabe. Personally I don’t think Burke or Wilson is really interested in baby sitting Avery.

torontosportsmedia
torontosportsmedia
December 31, 2008 1:11 pm
Reply to  Daniel

me thinks his comment was tongue in cheek. It wouldn’t surprise me one bit if Burke brought avery here….