Silence On A Snowy Night In Toronto

Man, I thought it was quiet over the holidays, there is nothing but crickets tonight. Everyone must be gassing up their snow-blowers (look out mr. Sakic). It is dead tonight. Not one interesting thing in one paper, in one media outlet anywhere(it is 12:20 am right now)

So here are some random thoughts:

Leafs were lousy last night vs. the Panthers. I have no problem with the losing. This is the first time in a long time where they didn’t even bother to show up. I sense another long skate in practice coming up.

To boo or not to boo. I am pretty tired of this argument. With very little exception every player who returns to their old team should expect to get razzed a little. Is it right? Who knows. It sports. As Seinfeld said, we don’t root for a player we root for a jersey. When the player changes teams he who we used to cheer for we now boo. McCabe made a lot of dough here, and really made his career here. Others have been treated way worse.

One of the reasons he was a thorn in the public’s side is that he just wasn’t that bright. He would have done much better with a no -comment, ummmm whenever he was asked a question. For him to call out Leaf Fans who may boo Sundin is just another example of the lack of brains in his melon. To say it’s ok to me just not Mats is just dumb. Who do you think you are? You don’t need to take one for him anymore. Fans are going to do what they want to do, so mind your own business. I give him credit for this, he said that he waived his NTC clause because he didn’t want to hijack the team. He is the only player who last year said, if there is a deal there to be made bring it to me. The reality is no one wanted him.

Is it just me, or is anyone else out there really hoping the Buds honor not only Team Canada but also Pat Quinn. I know there is no Saturday home game for a bit. I hope, the next chance they get they really whoop it up for old Pat.

I loved the Winter Classic. The all star games excites me about as much as going to the dentist. Really, if you are doing one, why the other? I know, it’s a big sponsor event for the league… The debate about who should be on the team or not is about as interesting as the never ending debate about fighting in hockey. Someone a hell of a lot smarter then me (and that is a BIG group) has to be able to come up with a better format then the current all star bore.

The fact that the NHL Poster boy isn’t Alexander Ovechkin is just a crock. There is no better player in the game right now then AO. The race isn’t close. As good as some of the other younger guys are, AO is the man. I find it hard to watch non-leaf games, but I do to try to keep an eye on the younger talent and other on-goings in the game (sorry Howie). I really try to watch as many Caps games as I can to catch a glimpse of AO on the ice.

Anyone else been listening to Roscoe Toth on the fan this week? He is miffed at all the attention the WJC’s get. He goes to a ton of junior games all season long (good for him) and feels that the folks who rave about junior hockey for these 2 weeks aren’t real junior hockey fans. Guess what? He is right. Compare if you will the NCAA basketball tournament. Those of you reading this from work, turn left, now turn right, how many people around you enter some sort of NCAA basketball tourney pool? Of those, how many are die hard fans all season long??? Fans get caught up in the hype, and we Canadians have such an inferiority complex that we will really pay attention in those areas where we may actually excel. I think it’s great Roscoe goes to a couple of junior games a week. If the local GTA area teams want to drum up support, look at this little gem. My son is in 3 different hockey programs right now. We get all kinds of stuff in the mail as a result. We have never, ever seen or heard a thing from any of the teams in our area. If those teams want to increase their fan base there is a huge hockey market they don’t tap into right in front of them.

Former Detroit Lions Head Coach Rod Marinelli had his son in-law on his coaching staff for the past 0-16 campaign. After a loss on Dec 21, Rob Parker an eight year vet with the Detroit News, asked Marinelli in the post game press conference if Marinelli “wished his daughter had married a better defensive coordinator?” As a result of that question, Parker was demoted from from columnist to general assignment reporter. Parker, as a result of that demotion resigned. I, as you may recall lived in the burbs of Detroit for several years. Mrs. TSM was born and raised there and both little TSM’s were born there as well. I have never been a Parker fan (surprised? I love sooooo many columnists…)I will say this, Parker has written and said a hell of a lot worse things then this. To lose his job, in this economy, in that market for this comment is so thin skinned it is hard to believe. Parker has said that he will remain in Detroit. That whittles his writing options down to 1 (the Free Press is owned by the same company as the News), The Oakland Press at least as far as local papers go. He does do some work on ESPN. Here is hoping that he finds work really soon….

Since I started this blog I have had the good fortune to chat with some folks who cover the NHL. I asked one today to assess for those of us up here the seasons of Mr. Tucker and Mr. Raycroft in Colorado thus far. His response:

“Tucker has looked slow and taken lots of bad penalties. Raycroft is
6-1, maybe the most deceptive won-lost record of all time so far, but
wins are wins.”

Hope you all have an easy commute tomorrow. Sounds like the roads in the GTA are going to be hell

woodpeck
January 7, 2009 3:00 am

i agree on AO.
good points on the CHL too. just market better in the areas that you are not doing well in. or have they given up and realized that its not worth an attempt in the GTA?

Eggbert
Eggbert
January 7, 2009 7:12 am

I love Rob Parker already

priceless

The Meatriarchy
January 7, 2009 8:03 am

I hate when guys like Toth pull out the ” your not a hockey fan if you don’t go to jr/bantam/peewee games etc.”

I like my sports on TV. I like my coverage to be top drawer. TSN does great coverage of the WJC. It is as good as watching an NHL game.

I have the OHL games as part of Cogeco’s sports pack. The coverage is terrible. The announcers are crap and the games are unwatchable because they are at the level of a local cable access channel.

I am very picky about what I invest my time in watching. I won’t watch something just to prove I am a hockey fan. I will watch it because is is interesting and entertaining.

Last night I got so bored with the leaf game that I started flipping around NHL Centre Ice to see what the other teams were doing.

I wanted to watch Detroit-Columbus (For some reason) but the game wasn’t in Hi def – and hockey looks horrible on a 42 inch plasma if it isn’t in hi-def. And the announcer was just brutal. I ended up watching Washington-Philly and bits of NJ-Carolina instead. Why? Both were in hi-def and both had announcers that knew how to call a game.

So if I am actually going to invest the time to drive somewhere (and the closest OHL game is approx 40 minutes drive one way from me) it had damn well better be worth it. But I don’t get the sense that it would be.

Oh and I can’t let this go: its LOSE not LOOSE sorry but that is a real pet peeve of mine.

The Meatriarchy
January 7, 2009 8:04 am

sorry should have been you’re not a hockey fan, not your.

woodpeck
January 7, 2009 9:43 am

no worries. typo’s happen to the best of us… esp. when in the heat of writing something we are passionate about like sports!

with so much out there to watch it is hard to pick and choose. i’m now PVR’ing games so i can watch the parts i want to (forget the stupid highlight pack from station “x”) and do it efficiently/quickly/at my leisure. the pvr has chagned my viewing habits in a way i never thought possible! quality matters. you can only watch a train wreck for so long and if the viewing is poor, it makes it even worse. check out this recent post on NHL tv crap:

lt67
lt67
January 7, 2009 10:15 am

I was at last nights game….the drunk guys in front of me were more entertaining…Pierre McGuire summed it up best…the team is not very good…you’ll get a solid effort out of them 99% of the time and perhaps a few wins…but you will get the odd stinker…So, I agree that it is to be expected and remind everyone that this is what we are in for during the re-build which is fine by me. What I (and Burke and Wilson) wont accept is players that consistently add no value…Jamal Mayers and Ryan Hollweg are simply a waste of time. If they can’t play 5-10 spirited minutes per game – why bother? I’d rather see guys like Newbury in the line-up. BTW, there were two guys that played well/gave a solid effort…John Mitchell and Luke Schenn. Mitchell may have been the only forward interested in forechecking last night.

January 7, 2009 11:05 am
Reply to  Eggbert

The key to business success in minor league sports is groups and families. You have cheap tickets and you need to get kids out to as many games as possible. None of the local OHL teams do a very good job of marketing to kids or families.

January 7, 2009 11:06 am

The morning guys on the fan butchered the story this am. They kept saying, there must be more to the story…. There was, Parker was demoted then he quit….stay tuned, Michigan is a litigious state!

The Meatriarchy
January 7, 2009 11:26 am

Parker did the right thing. Both with the original question and his reaction to being demoted.

Howie should have done that after he had to retract his Avery story……..

January 7, 2009 11:40 am

LOL re: Howie. Fixed the grammar from last night. I am not sure Parker did the right thing with the question. It was obviously done to insult the both guys in a very public forum. Resigning was 100% the right thing to do after the demotion.

blurr1974
blurr1974
January 7, 2009 11:50 am

My understanding was not that McCabe had no teams that were interested, it was that he wanted to stick around until his bonus money came through. didn’t he get traded the very next day…?

dirty hijacker…

January 7, 2009 12:00 pm

He was the one player who said bring me any deals that you are considering. This was during last season at the deadline.

puckbuddy
puckbuddy
January 7, 2009 12:32 pm

“dirty hijacker…” is a fair way to describe him considering his contract/performance ratio made him all but un-tradable never mind the fact he had a NMC.

blurr1974
blurr1974
January 7, 2009 12:46 pm

he said bring me any deals…Mats said I want to retire a Leaf…

tomato, tomahto

mf37
January 7, 2009 1:23 pm

The Generals and Storm have pretty great family packages , but we only found out by going to the rink as walk-ups.

My kids bring home all sorts of promo stuff from their school (Canskate lessons, local hockey schools, Marlies, etc.) you’d think this is something the OHL might explore.

January 7, 2009 1:48 pm

Ouch…. 🙂

January 7, 2009 1:48 pm

I guess Mats is 2x a liar then right 😉

January 7, 2009 1:49 pm

That is the problem. The teams make no effort.