What Would You Do????

OK Leaf fans, for some reason we are being inundated with stories that Vincent Lecavalier may be available. I would love to hear Glen Healy on the Bolts trading a guy who has signed an extension with a no trade clause that doesn’t kick in until after the season before the season ends. So, you, Leaf Fan are Brian Burke. Your team is devoid of a superstar forward:

1. Would you make a play to get him
2. If so, who would you offer up (jason blake submissions will be deleted)

Remember Leaf Fans, a few short years ago Vinny was ours. All that stopped the deal was the president of the Bolts not joining the league call to confirm it. In that deal the buds were sending Tomas Kaberle, wingers Nik Antropov and Jonas Hoglund and either Brad Boyesor a first-round draft pick in 2002. We still have the first two guys 🙂

lordosis
lordosis
January 12, 2009 2:58 pm

I would not take him, for the simple sake that in a couple years time I wouldn’t doubt that we see his salary (and the length) become more of a burden than it’s worth.

The Meatriarchy
January 12, 2009 2:53 pm

I don’t know that we have enough to offer them. Kaberle and Kubina and Stralman would be all I would offer probably Tlusty as well.

I have a feeling that Tampa would want Schenn and the Leafs first rounder for this year. I am torn. Lecavalier is proven and there is no guarantee anyone in the draft would work out better.

Eggbert
Eggbert
January 12, 2009 5:33 pm

Well,I think it would be a wiser move to open up more cap space to sign a stud UFA who might even be a few years younger.That way we keep our assets too.

Nealio
Nealio
January 12, 2009 4:04 pm

Ok, so a chance to finally land Vinny.

Here is what Burke offers:

2nd round Pick, 2010 season
2nd round Pick, 2009 season
Nik Antropov
Matt Stajan
Tomas Kaberle
Anton Stralman

I’d have to believe there is some value & upside on the Lightning side taking this plus I’m sure Roberts would vouche for these guys minus Stralman (and only because he hasn’t played with him). The contracts are light, moveable and would take some serious load off their salary commitments already. Plus they could re-sign those they want to keep or possibly trade etc.

Now perhaps I am being a bit foolish as I don’t know what other GM’s would put value wise on all these players packaged together, but I think it’s a decent offer IMO.

January 12, 2009 4:00 pm
Reply to  Juicy

Remember this TM, by all accounts the bolts are in a state of financial disarray. They need to get better quickly. They mask for the moon and have to settle for Uranus.

Stephen
Stephen
January 12, 2009 4:02 pm

I would love to have Vinny…but the leafs wont be really able to take advantage of him for 2 years at least three. So you are have to wonder what is the path for the Leafs in three years.

He is a better fit with montreal, or god forbid a trade to Ottawa to shake things up.

I love Vinny, but he is off strategy for the Leafs at this stage, depending on the price. Right player, wrong time.

Oh and would he fit with Wilson’s system?

Personally, I think Stamkos is being misused there, I would rather take him off their hands for Kubina and Tlusty. Then send him down to the Marlies for a bit, to see how he does. I am sure the kids confidence has been SHOT.

Jeffrey Size
Jeffrey Size
January 12, 2009 3:57 pm

Would not do this. TO is in no position to have a player like vinny at this point. it would be the exact situation they were in with sundin the past few seasons, only with a younger version in vinny. by the time the leafs coughed up all the compensation to get him (prospects, picks, etc) it’d be vinny and no one else…just like with mats.

The Meatriarchy
January 12, 2009 3:52 pm

I know but they seem to have been asking mtl for the moon.

January 12, 2009 3:13 pm
Reply to  bkblades

Really???? He is only going to be 29 at the end of this season. Is it the 11 years or the 7.7 per?

January 12, 2009 3:14 pm
Reply to  Karina

You don’t trade Schenn and a number one for him. He isn’t 25, he is 29(in April)….

Eggbert
Eggbert
January 12, 2009 4:29 pm

Vinny is too old for this Leaf team.
It makes no sense to mortage the future for a guy around 30

lt67
lt67
January 12, 2009 5:07 pm

This is a tough one…

• At 29, he is still relatively young and there is no reason to believe that he will not be a top player in 3-4 years when the Leafs turn the corner.
• He is just shy of being a point per game guy – so we are not talking about a Crosby, Malkin or Ovechkin type player.
• He is apparently a solid leader – which we do need (points and dressing room)
• Salary cap is likely to come down…$7.7M is a big commitment and there is a NTC that kicks in next year that we would assume.

The problem is…if the Bolts have financial issues, they will want high picks and prospects v. players….I’d be afraid to give up too many of those….I’d be more inclined to give picks if I was confident that Kabs and Antro would bring back 1st rounders to replenish what was given…not so sure right now.

Also, will there be any other top players available in the next two years via UFA route as an alternative? Rick Nash? Others will be gunning for him but it is an option versus trading away picks and prospects now…Not sure who else will be available.

It comes down to this….If a deal does not include Schenn & 1st round picks….it doesn’t hurt to put together a package…but I don’t see us being able to compile a compelling package….Top teams like Mtl will be more comfortable giving up prospects and 1st rounders.

Nealio
Nealio
January 12, 2009 4:14 pm

Um, scratch what I said about the salary commitments being less…I have a terrible head cold going on 2 weeks now and brain is functioning at quarter capacity. Taking this on the Lightning would actually add more salary short term but what I meant was if they needed to make changes they could either move/trade or not re-sign some of those players depending, and are not committed to an 11 yr 7.7 mill contract.

January 12, 2009 4:15 pm
Reply to  Eggbert

Nealio, hope you are okay out east! Would you be worried about Vinny’s age? with Stralman and stajan gone, who is he going to play with, grabs, hagman and schenn?

January 12, 2009 4:14 pm
Reply to  Eggbert

That is a fascinating idea. However, it doesn’t help Tampa with their $ problem…

January 12, 2009 5:22 pm
Reply to  Mike S

The more I read from the group, the more I think we HAVE to pass regardless of the price

logan
logan
January 13, 2009 12:23 pm

A lot of interesting comments here.. I’m surprised more people aren’t into the idea of landing Vinny.

I feel that the Leafs need to find some sort of identity on this team. You aren’t going to find it in the draft unfortunately. I feel that creating an identity would start with a guy like Vinny. A proven NHL star in his own right.. a point per game player.. not afraid to speak his mind with a mountain of upside. Although I do agree with a lot of people that it might not be the right time to chase him… its really tough to say.

If I were to offer a package for Vinny it would go as follows;

To Tampa Bay:
Nik Antropov
Alexei Ponikarovsky
Chris DiDomenico
2nd Round 2009 + 4th Round 2009 + 5th Round 2009

To Toronto:
Vincent Lecavalier

Stephen
Stephen
January 13, 2009 12:29 pm

I will say it again, right player ( I love vinny), wrong time. Stay on startegy.

Go fishing for Mike Richards in a couple of years…an equivalent “stud”, just younger.

That being said, if the price was right I wouldnt turn it down. (the old eating crackers in bed argument.)

January 13, 2009 1:20 pm

I think too many pundits are missing the boat on this one. Tampa only considers this for one reason…$$$$$$$$ If they weren’t under financial duress, they wouldn’t consider these discussions.

Therefore, the ask may be huge….the reality something completely different.