Brian Burke Dealing 2 Maple Leafs ?

“We got a trade proposal yesterday (Sunday) that is intriguing. We’re actually chewing on it right now,” Burke stated. ”This one would involve three players and a draft pick…it would involve two guys off of our team,” Burke added. ”I think we’re going to reject it, but we’re chewing on it,” the Leafs gm concluded.”

“Burke did acknowledge a recent offer for Leafs blue-liner Ian White, who he describes as a quality person and says while White may still get traded, Toronto turned down a late 2nd round draft pick for White last week.”

That from today’s Leafs lunch and Darren Dreger.

A late second round pick for white? Why not?

Eggbert
Eggbert
March 2, 2009 2:33 pm

I don’t see a late 2nd being value for White, he’s worth more to keep.

Eggbert
Eggbert
March 2, 2009 2:56 pm

White is young and hasn’t reached his peak, defensemen with his versatility are coveted,and he should improve.I also like his character.Dominic Moore for a late 2nd makes more sense.

LT67
LT67
March 2, 2009 3:06 pm

What i like most about the report is that it does not involve bullshit or mere speculation….Derger goes to a source and gets “reportable” information….Maybe not as exciting as “Leafs to acquire Bowmester for a 5th round pick and a bag of pucks (e4)” But not bullshit like Ek.

What pair would you think are bundled? When a team talks about aquiring two players, my mind goes directly to Poni/Antro…not sure why, perhaps wishful thinking.

Re: White…currently not a great defenceman/worth hanging onto at all costs…but if the offer isn’t decent, I’d rather keep him – he has the heart and attitude we want more of.

LT

LT67
LT67
March 2, 2009 4:30 pm

Put the anonymous “media type” in the Dreger category….Nobody knows…especially guys that go by “EK”.

Nealio
Nealio
March 2, 2009 4:58 pm

I like White too, in fact I would argue a 2nd round pick is simply not enough, especially when he is chewing up 25 minutes plus a night and playing well to boot. And he is still fairly young.

Now, make it a 2nd and a decent prospect or a 2nd this year plus a 2nd/3rd next year that’s closer to his value imo.

Man we got at least 2 picks for Hal Gill and I think White has way more upside and is way better than Gill ever was while playing with us.

The Meatriarchy
March 2, 2009 7:44 pm

Agree w Nealio and LT67 second rounders are not guaranteed locks to make the NHL. White has shown that he is a capable NHL defenseman. Not a stud like pronger or the like but rarely do those guys hang around for the late second round (Kablerle notwithstanding).

White has always been underrated in my books. He was ranked 11th on the depth chart by pundits last year and managed to crack the starting six and stay there. He was written off this year and now is playing huge minutes.

He is a great #4 guy on a good team and would be an excellent depth guy on a cup contender. But most important (and this has probably led to a lot of the calls): he’s dirt cheap.

bkblades
bkblades
March 2, 2009 11:17 pm

I’m not a big fan of White and if this deal was offered at the start of the season, I know I would have jumped at the offer. However, White has amazingly been one of Toronto’s best d-men up till this point according to Behind the Net (Van Ryn is the other when he was healthy). Furthermore, his versatility as a forward, where I think he belongs, is invaluable. Most importantly, as Meat mentions above, he makes 850k next season, which is great value considering the versatility White has shown this season (PP, some PK, good puck carrying skills, can play forward).