Does Anyone At The Fan 590 Do Prep Work?

Howie doesn’t watch hockey. Despite covering the most over analyzed team in the league the number one beat guy doesn’t watch other team in the league. His bosses seem okay with that. Now this morning Mike Toth, who co-hosts the Bullpen on the Fan590 usually between 11-12 (Mike Hogan flies solo from 10-11), who himself is flying solo this am admitted to having a routine. Funny how all us non-athletes emulate those we idolize eh! Toth, says he has a routine..every day he goes and has lunch somewhere after his show, and he reads the sports sections..See, that is good stuff. Only one problem. HE GOES ON THE RADIO BEFORE HE HAS LUNCH!!! No, really, it’s one thing to actually not do any preperation work at all. It’s another TO ADMIT IT!!! I work in an office. Some would say I am relied upon for my opinions. Can you imagine if I did my prep work for the upcoming day AFTER THE DAY WAS DONE??!! What the hell kind of work ethic is that??? Can’t you see the discussion. TSM, we need you to sit in a meeting from 10-12 today. The meeting takes place. After it, my boss says to me, ummmm, that didn’t go so hot, can we talk about it? My response… I am sorry, I am going to grab a bite and prepare for the meeting! Uh-huh, that would last long! For Toth (I can’t even call him Roscoe any more, it’s an insult to Roscoe) it’s even worse when he admits it on a Friday. Reading the papers at Friday lunchtime isn’t going to help him much when his show is on Monday! Especially when he has been in a cold OHL arena eating as many hot dogs as he claims he eats at each game!

Toth, opened his show, as he likes to do with a personal anecdote. It’s actually a good thing usually until he makes that illegal left turn and ends up somewhere completely unrelated to the story itself. Today, he did about 20 minutes about male friendship and how he feels bad that he lost touch with all his 11 year old buddies he played ball hockey with. Oh wait, it gets better fellow fans. Toth then went on to explain how his best friend was killed in an electrocution accident after high school. Sad story right? Well two things come to mind. Um, one…It’s kind of hard to stay in touch with old friends when one of them is dead! Secondly, Toth admitted to not even going to the funeral! Well, I don’t know about you but my respect level for the guy just dropped about 50 notches. Remember, this is the guy who slams people for getting into the World Junior Championships when they don’t go to OHL games. How dare you watch the Superbowl when you don’t go to an NFL Game. You can’t watch the academy awards if you don’t go to the movies!

There has to be better right? This is a pretty decent sized market. Someone, anyone, please tell me that I am not alone in thinking we deserve better.

Coach
Coach
March 27, 2009 9:34 am

the FAN 590 has gone downhill tremendously the past few years. i always thought ‘high school’ hogan was the worst until toth appeared on the radio with him…then i just shut it off. if you like to talk about non-relivant issues, such as ‘best drinking/grey cup memories’, or favorite high school sports moments, then tune in! however, IF you like to listen to actual sports issues/news , sans the childish interludes, then tune to a different channel.

March 27, 2009 10:45 am

Toth is an idiot………….this is a recording

The Meatriarchy
March 27, 2009 12:27 pm

I used to think Hogan was bad until he hooked up with Toth. That show is beyond unbearable.

The worst is Toth’s anecdotes. And he just doesn’t use them on the Bullpen. He drags them out when he filling in for McCown.

Let’s try to wrap out minds around that for a bit. Sometimes when McCown is on vacation the Fan actually thinks that Toth is an acceptable fill in.

To be fair to the Fan the addition of Hockey Central at Noon and Doug McClean’s show have vastly improved the listenability but a lot of it is pure death.

Case in point I thought Doug Farroway would be a treat to listen to when he debuted his directors chair show. But boy has that fizzeled. I caught snippets of his show twice over the past week or so.

The topics: kids can actually get hurt from body checking (complete with a self congratulatory panel of doctors and busybodies)

And yesterday ( I think) a whole show about the (gasp) perils of gambling.

Question: when did the Fan 590 turn into the women’s network?

March 27, 2009 1:06 pm

I think The Bullpen is pretty good. I don’t mind Toth and Hogan. I think Prime Time is fantastic.

I can’t listen to Hockey Central. I’m sure it’s enjoyable if you’re a really hardcore hockey fan who doesn’t care about anything in sports but the Leaf game tonight, but for me it’s just overkill. Have any of you heard Hockey Central in the summertime? It’s LITERALLY un-listenable. I know Toronto is a hockey crazy city, but at least leave yourself open to talking other sports in July and August.

The Directors Chair is terrible too. Too much soccer and amateur sports talk.

Eggbert
Eggbert
March 27, 2009 2:24 pm

good pic of Andrea Bargnani

Eggbert
Eggbert
March 27, 2009 2:36 pm

To be fair TSM, other sources of info exist other than newspapers,and I would hope he has access to them.Reading the newspaper is relaxing,one of my fave things to do on a lazy saturday morning at a greasy spoon

March 27, 2009 8:52 pm

Unfortunately I have a feeling we are going to be subjected to a lot of Toth on PTS in the next few months……………….McCown hasn’t taken much vacation since last August, which means he will be off a bunch of weeks between now and the beginning of the radio ratings period in September

The Meatriarchy
March 30, 2009 2:44 pm

Daniel: Hockey central is not leaf focused. Leafs Lunch is. And yes it is for Hockey fans hence the name HOCKEY Central. Which is why I listen.

Mke S: I guess 640’s ratings will be going up if Toth is going to be filling in for Bobcat again.

Crosswire
Crosswire
May 1, 2009 1:59 pm

Mike Toth is a god. We is a great addition to the fan and always makes me laugh. YOu guys need to lighten up.

james
james
November 21, 2009 9:20 am

i have listened to the fan for years i find millard annoying and clueless, the ol’tothers life storys are unbearable and rog is another one that is unbearable other than that i enjoy the daily shows for the most part.