Did Cliff Fletcher Cost The Maple Leafs A Draft Pick?

Ouch…The NHL has just sanctioned the Toronto Maple Leafs for circumventing the CBA. Recall last summer the Frogren signing was delayed. Well the hold up was because Frogren was under contract to his team in Sweden, Farjestad. Apparently Frogren used $400,000 of his signing bonus to buy his ticket out. That is against the CBA, and apparently Cliffy knew about it at the time. Therefore the Leafs are out $500,000 and a 4th round draft pick! I don’t want to make mountains out of molehills but this sucks. No, Frogren isn’t worth it, for those who say he is. Cliff had to know better and should have known better. I suspect the knives, especially Damien’s will be out in full force on this one!

Wendel
Wendel
April 1, 2009 5:53 pm

I think it’s a little early to say it wasn’t worth it, but that doesn’t disregard the fact that this was a poor decision on Cliff’s part. I like Frogren’s game, he’s very physical, I think he just needs more work with Wilson’s coaching staff. If Burke moves ahead and continues to stock the cupboard with some decent college talent, drafts well, and makes a big deal in the summer (e.g. Kaberle), the 4th will be essentially an afterthought.

bkblades
bkblades
April 1, 2009 6:11 pm

I just find the timing of this to be peculiar. Did it really take the league this long to determine the Leafs circumvented the CBA? I have a feeling there is some residual punishment here for essentially “buying” a draft pick at the deadline by the Leafs.

Eggbert
Eggbert
April 1, 2009 6:15 pm

Stempniak,Frogen debacle…………….I prefer the title “consultant” as a title for Cliff

The Meatriarchy
April 2, 2009 6:52 am

BK is right the timing is somewhat peculiar. TSM as for Cliff knowing this during the summer it seemed that everyone “knew it” since the sports media talked about this for quite some time and whether or not it was a legitimate signing.

Certainly during the time they were negotiating with Frogren there was a feeling that it wasn’t a slam dunk in terms of the Leafs being able to do this.

Pension Plan Puppets
April 2, 2009 8:03 am

The Leafs and the NHLPA won a grievance allowing them to sign Frogren to the contract that he has played under. This is simply punishing the Leafs for being creative within the rules. This is in no way “Cliff’s fault”.

mf37
April 2, 2009 8:24 am

According to the 2005 CBA, the Leafs were well within their rights to tender the contract they did to Frogren (as their winnning greivance earlier this season with the NHLPA supported). The League actually used the old CBA to appeal the previous decision and apply a penalty against the Leafs. How that’s possible is anyone’s guess…I’m not exactly hopeful that the media horde that follows the Leafs will be able to sort this one out for the fans.