Thanks for your time J.P. but….

I find the topic of J.P. Ricciardi a very polarizing one. Some people are staunch supporters, while many want to burn him at the stake. I’m sort of in the middle, but one thing is for certain. Only a playoff spot for the 2009 Jays should save him his job, and they are not making the playoffs.
Given the Jays solid start, J.P. supporters might think I’m crazy, but hear me out.
My financial advisor was doing ok for me. He made some pretty good moves and some really bad ones. I told him, “Thanks for your time, but I’m going to move in another direction”. Mediocrity is not what I’m looking for. J.P. has made some good moves. He’s drafted players like Adam Lind, Aaron Hill and Jesse Litsch to name a few. He’s also made some horrible moves. Giving an aging Frank Thomas $10 million per was insane! Letting Reed Johnson go for squat to keep Shannon Stewart was ridiculous. I’m sure you can think of many more.
He has also alienated players and their agents. Remember what he said about Adam Dunn? Let me remind you. “He’s not a guy who like’s to play Baseball, or enjoys what he does.” FYI J.P., Adam Dunn has averaged 41 homers and 100 RBI’s the last five seasons. The last time I checked, no one on your roster has done anything close to that, including your $126 million dollar man, Vernon Wells.
Teams often make the mistake of keeping or resigning a GM just because of a hot start or better then expected performance. Remember the Leafs in 2006? They picked up the option on John Ferguson Jr’s contract because of a hot start to the season and we all know how that ended.
J.P. was signed in 2001. Of all the GM’s that are still with their team since that time, he is the only one who has not got his team into the playoffs. There are probably worse GM’s out there, but the Jays can definitely do better. So, unless they make the playoffs, thanks for your time J.P., but the Jays need to move in another direction.
Anthony

lt67
lt67
April 30, 2009 9:31 pm

Amen.

Does anyone find it interesting that we don’t hear peep out of the guy now? The face of the team is Cito. Where is the GM these days?

April 30, 2009 10:50 pm

Yeah…if they don’t make the playoffs he probably is gone….although if they make great strides this year and just miss the playoffs, I could see them keeping him around one more year.

JP has driven me nuts frequently over the past 8 years, but he has produced some pretty exciting young players the last couple years, with apparently more on the way.

eyebleaf
May 1, 2009 10:24 am

It’s fucking unbelievable that when the Jays come flying out the gate in April, you still have a post that says in the first paragraph: “and they are not making the playoffs.”

Well done, Anthony. Well done.

May 1, 2009 11:39 am

Yeah, agreed Eyebleaf

Mike
Mike
May 1, 2009 6:56 pm

Eyebleaf you are crazy!!! You think a hot start means a playoff spot for the Jays? They are NOT making the playoffs. J.P. needs to go.

bob
bob
May 1, 2009 8:38 pm

I think the Jays could go either way on him. He’s had 8 sub par years in some respects, but the Jays have alot of prospects. The hot start is great to see, but they’re firing on all cylinders right now. They will probably slow down. Boston, NY are only going to get better. The Jays havn’t played anyone yet. We are about to find out how good they really are.

Deely
Deely
May 2, 2009 7:58 am

Your point about a hot start not meaning much is valid – especially when you compare the jays to the 2006 Leafs but it’s just way too soon to say they are not making the playoffs. What are you gonna say if they DO? Toronto fans don’t have much these days and the Jays are one of the only bright spots… why are you taking that away from us? I really hope you’ll have to print a retraction.