Jim Balsille Tables Offer For Coyotes~ To Southwestern Ontario?

“The current team ownership asked that I table an offer to purchase the Coyotes and significant discussions resulted in an offer that is in the best interests of the franchise, the NHL, and the great hockey fans of Canada and Southern Ontario,”

And that he did. $212.5 Million USD conditional on his ability to move the team to Southwestern Ontario….

“”I am excited to move closer to bringing an NHL franchise to what I believe is one of the best un-served hockey markets in the world, Southern Ontario. A market with devoted hockey fans, a rich hockey history, a growing and diversified economy and a population of more than 7 million people,””

This my friends will be interesting to watch…. Way more later!

May 5, 2009 7:06 pm

I genuinely think he’s not going to stop until he gets a team.

Good luck to him! This region deserves than what the Leafs have been the last 40 years. And, hopefully, the competition will make them better.

Pilot9193
Pilot9193
May 5, 2009 7:20 pm

Denying this proposal will be the final nail in Bettman’s coffin. $212M for a financially destitute franchise like Phoenix is a deal too good to be passed up. The NHL stands to lose more in denying the franchise transfer. All league suppliers will see how asinine Bettman’s “big” market strategy was, and will tighten the screws on the rest of the weak sisters in the league. The fat lady is singing

May 5, 2009 8:00 pm

How can Balsillie buy the Coyotes when he already owns another team???……………..last summer I heard Bob McCown report that his “sources” were telling him that Balsillie had reached an agreement to buy Nashville (again)……………and the Bobcat is never wrong about these type of things, is he???…………..after all, Sundin signed with the Rangers this season, right???

May 5, 2009 9:08 pm

Although I gotta say – I just read through a Coyotes message board, and I do feel bad for the actual fans of the team. I’d hate it if a Toronto team left.

May 5, 2009 9:17 pm

I agree with Daniel………..it’s not like teams like this have no fans, they just don’t have enough fans…………I grew up in Montreal as a big Expos fan so I can relate to other fans who might lose their team

puckbuddy
puckbuddy
May 6, 2009 12:13 am

let the good times roll

Frank D
Frank D
May 9, 2009 9:13 am

I disagree with Daniel on this one. We lost great teams such as Winnipeg Jets, Quebec Nordiques, and Hartford Whalers, too America. It’s about time we got back what was rightfully ours!

suz bati
suz bati
June 10, 2009 5:43 am

Go for it Jim!! All of Ontario – even Leaf fans like myself – are behind you 1000% Bettman is trying to continue the sale of Hockey to Americans – he just can’t deal with the fact that Canada is the home of Hockey!!