Just How Bad Does The Bullpen Have To Get?

The Jays are tearing it up, 2 Stanley Cup playoff game go to OT last night, a Toronto Area Billionaire is trying to bring a second hockey team to Toronto and what do you hear on the Fan 590 this morning?

“I really like Bruce Springsteen, who in the sports world do you like?” (he only mentioned the Boss about 28 times today)

A Caller- “I really like Al McInnis” Hogan “Why” Caller ” I don’t know, cause he was really good.”
A Caller-” Can say someone I like who isn’t in sports?” Hogan “Sure, have at it” Caller ” I really like Karen Carpenter” Hogan “Why?” Caller “Everything she went through”

That is how Hogan started the show. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME???????????????? THAT’S THE BEST WE GOT IN TORONTO??????????????

But wait, it gets better (or worse, depending on your view)

Toth shows up. Now remember, Toth is the guy who doesn’t want any of us watching BIG sporting events unless we actually go to the smaller regular events. So you can’t watch the World Juniors unless you actually support your closest team by going to the games on a regular basis. Clearly you can’t watch the Kentucky Derby unless you go our to woodbine all the time either. In any event, Toth joined the show and started by saying that he was in a bad mood. Why was he in a bad mood? “He had a nightmare last night”.. Riveting radio I know. Then he went on to say how pissed he was at the OHL game last night becuase it was so busy he had to park far away! YOU ARE SUCH A HYPOCRITE! YOU BEG PEOPLE TO GO AND WHEN THEY DO YOU GET PISSED???????

How bad does this show have to get before a change gets made??? Someone please tell me.

May 7, 2009 3:31 pm

I listen to the Fan more in the afternoons, and the time I don’t enjoy is from noon – 2. Hockeycentral is too indepth for me (I may be in the minority on that one, since i recall they got great ratings). It’s a good hockey show, but I just don’t find it to be entertaining radio.

I also really don’t enjoy Doug Farraway’s show. I get the feeling he really likes hockey, soccer and amateur sports and has decided that’s all he’s going to talk about. I understand the hockey part, but right now I’d really rather hear talk about the Jays than skiing or British soccer.

That being said, I think the Game Plan has really improved. It’s a fun show, and I like how they focus on the 4 or 5 home teams.

elvis
May 7, 2009 3:33 pm

What a douche bag he is.

May 7, 2009 3:49 pm

Toth is an idiot…………..enough said.

Hogan often tries way too hard to come up with “outside the box” topics between 9:00 and 10:00…………he should save a topic like today’s for the dog days of summer when nothing is going on in the sports world…………..the Bullpen used to be a much better show several years ago when the co-host each day was a different TSN personality (Duthie, Rauter, Dutchie, etc)

mike
mike
May 7, 2009 4:12 pm

no competition during that time slot unfortunately. the two of them could spend the time making barn noises and discussing their favourite breakfast cereal without too much loss of audience (or quality).

the Fan should be riding the Jays hard right now — devote the 9-10 hour to recapping the game, discussing streaks and trends, following minor league news. at this point anything which doesn’t involve tweedle-dee and tweedle-shutthefuckupalready setting the agenda would be welcome.

Mike Hogan
Mike Hogan
May 7, 2009 10:02 pm

TSM;

I was given a heads up a while ago about your site and have been checking it from time to time and after reading an incredible amount of inaccuracies I thought I’d respond to some of your posts and set the record straight,

In your review of today’s show (Springsteen) you failed to mention one incredibly important point…we did a full hour in the exact same time slot the day before. I didn’t, nor did the listeners, need to hear the exact same hour on consecutive days. Once the matter goes through the court system and the story evolves you can bet we’ll have another show (or two, or three) to allow listeners to respond to the news. For the record today’s show generated well over 200 e-mail responses (VERY high for an hour) and the phones were jam-packed from the opening until we turned people away. There was not one negative e-mail questioning why we were doing the hour. I hit a nerve with the listeners, a key to talk radio. We went on to talk about the Balsillie story later on in the show and also talked about the Jays…something else you failed to mention in your rant.

Sometimes people need a break from the serious stuff. I intentionally tried to provide that break today and it worked…obviously not for you and that’s fine, I know going in not everyone is going to be happy. During the Balsillie hour the day before I was ripped via e-mail for not talking Jays baseball.

I ran my name through the search on your site and found an incredible amount of mistakes in your blog of which I would like to set the record straight.

In your story “Can The Toronto Sports Media Be Held Accountable” you say “Everyone in the media makes predictions, hell, Hogan and Toth do almost a whole show to both make and then review their predictions every year.”

Not true at all.

For the last decade plus Chris Schultz and I have made predictions on Football Friday about the upcoming NFL year in various categories. I thought it would be a fun segment during a Super Bowl bye week back when we had a two-hour show. It broke up the non-stop analysis. The segment received very positive feedback so we made a habit of it. I don’t mind making fun of myself, nor does Schultz. I really find it incredible that you can’t tell the difference between Toth and Schultz.

In your story “Hogan & Toth Are Toast” I find it hard to believe you were actually listening to the show. You said “You have bums like me who are still in the morning commute because I had to drop the kids at school, you have people who drive for a living, you have people who don’t work and are listening during those hours and then you have folks who can listen at work or school, whom the majority of which I bet are doing so on a computer. So what do these two moron’s do? They go out and bash bloggers and those who use twitter!”

Not true at all.

I mentioned that I wished people who use Twitter or Facebook to update us on the most mundane parts of their day like “Tom is making toast. Yum.” would stop doing it. You continued “Hogan called anyone who uses twitter a twit. How original.” Simply not true. I have no idea where you came up with that quote. I also mentioned that I use Facebook and that the station is using Twitter for what it should be used for, a fact that was not included in your story. All I can ask for is balance in your stories.

As for Toth and the tickets, he paid for them. In the next segment he also said he shouldn’t have done that on the air, another fact you chose to ignore.

My favorite was a story you titled “Does Anyone At The Fan Do Prep Work?” then said “Mike Toth, who co-hosts the Bullpen on the Fan590 usually between 11-12 (Mike Hogan flies solo from 10-11)”

PLEASE tell me you didn’t rip the guys at the Fan for not doing prep work then not know that the show runs 9-12 with Toth co-hosting every day from 10-noon. I fly solo 9-10.

Ironic, eh?

In all sincerity I welcome your website and wish you nothing but success with it and in all honesty I love the fact that someone is holding us accountable. Constructive criticism is something I honestly can’t get enough of because I want to continually improve the show and my own performance. But ALL that I ask is that you please, please, please put things in their proper context, be accurate and let your readers make up their own minds.

If you ever have a question as to why we’re doing something I invite you to simply ask me. You do have the e-mail address, I got both of your e-mails last week.

I guess you don’t hate the show THAT much. LOL

Cheers.

Mike Hogan
Fan 590

May 7, 2009 11:46 pm

Yeah, I’d say TSM is over the top harsh about the Bullpen. I don’t find the criticism of the show to be well thought out or constructive.

May 8, 2009 2:40 pm

I think it’s great that Mr. Hogan took the time to give his side of the story, especially if he thought there were factual errors in some of the criticism on this site…………….I also think it is great that Mr. Brady does the same thing from time to time…………..the best part of Hogan’s rebuttal is that he didn’t accuse anyone of having an agenda and he didn’t complain about the criticism on this site being annonymous.

lt67
lt67
May 11, 2009 11:19 am

TSM readers…this is brilliant. The banter between the writers, readers and now the media is priceless. TSM bravo for bringing this together on your blog…and kudos to the media for reading and participating!!

LT