Could The Burke Honeymoon End Early?

An informal poll of Leaf fans has shown that those of us opposed to the Sedin twins joining the Buds outnumbers those in favor almost unanimously. I don’t think I have seen one comment by a fan or fellow blogger who is in support of such a move. Everything I have heard is that the twins are as good as guaranteed to come to Toronto. Look for the two of them to eat up anywhere from 10-13 of next years cap. Now, who the hell am I to be telling you what I hear? I know….Others are starting to bang the same drum:

“I have been warned by several impressive sources not to underestimate Brian Burke’s resolve in pursuing the Swedish twins he drafted to the Vancouver Canucks almost 10 years ago. Daniel Sedin and Henrik Sedin can become unrestricted free agents on July 1st if the Canucks do not re-sign them, and hockey fans in British Columbia are justifiably anxious to see whether or not their team can afford its two best offensive players. If the twins are on the market when the free agent sweepstakes begin, Burke is likely to be front and center on behalf of the Maple Leafs.”

I know it’s only Howie, but if a nobody like me is hearing loud drumbeats I can only imagine what a real insider is hearing…..

““He has to go after them,” one of hockey’s most recognizable faces told me Friday at the United Center, prior to Chicago’s overtime victory against Detroit in Game 3 of the Western Conference final. “The Leafs are one of the few teams that will have the money this summer to accommodate the Sedins and Burke is being smart by talking about making the playoffs next year. This is the type of big-time move he has to make.”

I don’t understand that logic at all. Yes the Leafs will be one of the few teams with cap space but why blow it on these two guys? Why does he have to go after them? I would rather he stay the course and build this thing properly than go this route. I don’t understand for the life of me why this move makes sense.

“The conversation occurred one night after a hockey executive in Pittsburgh told me Burke is “salivating” over the chance to bring the offensive spark of the Sedins to Toronto.”

If Burke is looking to alienate himself from Leaf fans I suspect this is the way to do it. From my perspective, regardless of their talent level they are not the type of guy that Leaf fans will get excite over. I for one wouldn’t go to a game to see them. If it happens, I will be the first to say I hope I am wrong, but I don’t believe these two guys are the the building blocks this team needs.

“The pre-game discussion here in Chicago also touched on veteran goalie Jean-Sebastien Giguere, who lost his starting role to Jonas Hiller during Anaheim’s playoff push this spring. “Burke might take a look at him,” I was told. “Bringing in a proven goalie is a lot different than going after a prospect from Sweden” — the latter reference, of course, pertaining to free agent netminder Jonas Gustavsson of Swedish Elite team Farjestad, who several teams, including the Maple Leafs, have recently pursued.”

Oh my….Can you imagine the lack of excitement going into the Leafs pre-season as the Toronto Maple Caducks prepare for another season. Leaf fans, am I the only one who would be scratching your head should these rumors come to fruition????? If Burke heads down this rumored path I think the Burke honeymoon could be ended much sooner than anyone predicted. Ask yourselves this, would you rather a quick fix to a playoff spot or a slow rebuild with franchise type players wearing blue and white, which could mean another season without the playoffs in Toronto. Don’t know about you, but I would rather be on the sidelines for another year and get this thing right then see a quick fix, shopping sprees done this off season.

Berger is here

By the way, our Toronto Blue Jays are now in a slump 0-5 in their last 5 games. Keep sharp objects away from a certain Jays Fan and Toronto blogger.

bkblades
bkblades
May 23, 2009 9:49 pm

While their contract terms don’t excite me at all, I think people are sleeping on the Sedins way too hard. Their stats indicate that there are only 10 or 15 players in the entire NHL that can match up with their production. As for Giguere, good goalie but $6 million is far too much with Toskala already earning $4 million himself. Unless the Ducks want to give up a high draft pick, Burke has to say no to Giggy.

Wendel
Wendel
May 24, 2009 7:30 am

While I am not overly excited about the Sedins in TO, I am of the wait and see approach, depending on term and $. While they have yet to prove they have personality to lead, they can score. Giggy will not be in Toronto alongside Toskala, that’s too much money in net. I think BB is giving Toskala a mulligan on last year and he’ll bring in a 1A goalie (Gustavsson if the hype is to be believed, maybe Biron). I am giving BB a lot of rope on this year, wait and see is the approach I subscribe to; I think he’s done a very good job so far and I don’t think he’s fighting for his job but rather thinking asnd building for the long term.

Steve
May 24, 2009 10:46 am

I guess you haven’t been reading my blog. 2 postings this week in defense of the signing of the Twins + a fair number of supporters.

Also if you check out the MLHS posting on the subject, a number of respondents seemed to be in favour of the signing as long as the terms are reasonable.

Can’t say I see the arguments against their signing holding much weight. If people could state something concrete and objective about why they dislike them so much, I’d like to see it so I can make sense of it.

Jo4nny
Jo4nny
May 24, 2009 11:44 am

They’re pansies who disappear in the playoffs and will cost $13 million dollars…those are pretty big detractors, Steve.

Eggbert
Eggbert
May 24, 2009 2:33 pm

I couldn’t agree more TSM.Leaf Nation has willfully come to terms with a slow rebuild with a firm foundation.I don’t like the Sedin’s idea on so many levels.

Steve
May 24, 2009 5:17 pm

They disappeared in the playoffs?

No seriously… read my blog posting.

eyebleaf
May 24, 2009 10:52 pm

The Sedins are exactly what Toronto needs. Two freaking first line, point-per-game players. How can no one see this?

LT
LT
May 25, 2009 7:21 am

While they don’t excite me either (not what I had in mind for the Leafs)…you can’t argue with their regular season AND playoff production….both had 10ps in 10gp in this playoffs.

If Burke can grab them at a good rate – and still have funds for a true leader in the next year or two…I would have no issue with this move.

Pension Plan Puppets
May 25, 2009 1:56 pm

Apparently first-liners that heavily outplay their opposition night in and night out despite facing the opposition’s best players grow on trees.

Steve
May 25, 2009 4:15 pm

I don’t think anyone is being sarcastic. PPP, Eyebeleaf and I all agree that the Sedins would look fine in Blue and White if we could get them for a reasonable sum of cash.

Overpaying is stupid no matter who the player is. Aside from that argument though, I don’t see much of one as to why the Leafs should avoid the Sedins.

wayne scarlett
wayne scarlett
May 25, 2009 6:27 pm

It will be around 11 million a year for 3 years.And this Stalberg kid can play on the line too.

Strong rumblings from friends in New York as well as an insider wit the Leafs that there will be a cap of three years on any deal.The Leafs will do this first before it becomes part of any League mandate.

wayne scarlett
wayne scarlett
May 25, 2009 6:30 pm

To clarify my previous post….The length of term will be a major point of contention when the CBA comes up for renewal.The Leafs will get the jump on things by implementing this policy before anyone else does.