Pat Quinn Returns! Finally

Dust off those Edmonton Oiler jersey’s, Pat Quinn has a new gig, as head coach of the Edmonton Oilers. Wow what a staff too, he has Tom Renney as an assistant!

Press conference will be later today. Count me as a HUGE Pat Quinn fan. The guy has it all, character and class. I do have one large knock on him and many may disagree, but I truly believe that he allowed the Maple Leafs to become a country club, unaccountable group. I think much of what Fletcher and Wilson and now, Wilson and Burke had to clean up was the atmosphere that Quinn, if nothing else allowed to exist here in Toronto. Having said that I like the guy, the coach and will root for the Oilers.

By the way, it says here that in some time, Quinn will be the GM and Renney the coach, but that’s putting the wagon before the horse. I know Lowe is higher then GM, as Tambellini has that role right now, but these types of situations seem to follow Pat around.

Good luck and congrats to Pat Quinn- I will be at the Leafs Oilers first home game!

Eggbert
Eggbert
May 26, 2009 12:44 pm

I’m not a huge fan of Quinn the coach,but he’s a classy guy

lt67
lt67
May 26, 2009 12:47 pm

I’m a Quinn fan…good for him, he deserves another gig.

Al from Burlington
Al from Burlington
May 26, 2009 1:49 pm

Agree with Eggbert, and it was a smart move to bring in Renney as well

ChuChu
ChuChu
May 26, 2009 3:54 pm

I always thought Quinn never gave the kids enough ice time. He was loyal to his vets to a fault and ultimately I think it hurt the development of the younger players.

Eggbert
Eggbert
May 26, 2009 4:37 pm

And we got squat for Jason Smith and Stevie Sullivan after Quinn soured on them.Smith seemed to be good enough to captain a few teams,and Sullivan is still productive when not injured.I remember during some of the Quinn era playoff runs a player such as Smith seemed to be a major missing ingredient.Quinn is a gentleman,and classy,but Edmonton will be a disaster,just watch

The Meatriarchy
May 27, 2009 6:06 am

Did you notice that LEafs Lunch was reporting this as a done deal from about 12:10 pm while HockeyCentral at 1:00 pm as the show was ending was saying that it couldn’t be Quinn because he wasn’t in Edmonton.

They were also ruling out Renney and speculating it was going to be Mark Crawford.