Bosh Speaks To The Fan 590

Not sure how many people caught it, but public enemy number one of Raptors nation was on with the Raptors radio crew (in my mind the worst play by play duo in Toronto sports) tonight. I didn’t catch the interview but several of you did and here is what you told me took place and of course the TSM take on each point:

* The 1st SEVEN questions Smith and Jones asked Chris about were about his iphone app and deal with Warner Music Canada. Whether or not this is topical, there certainly were bigger issues of the day don’t you think?

* “Jonesy” references EF Hutton…Bosh had no idea who that was and had to ask!!!

* “E” complains that he(“E”) follows Bosh on Twitter but Bosh doesn’t follow “E” back. Now that makes for great radio no??? Isn’t there a rule about media types not begging for this type of shit???

* “Jonesy”finally gets around to talking about the issue dujour, and neither he nor Bosh ever explain it. A couple of people emailed me that they tuned in after this point and had no clue what the hell these guys were talking about!!

* Bosh makes the bold comment “I’m used to reading wrong things written about me. in the press all the time.” Follow up question to that : ” Insert Crickets Here”….Come on guys, when you get served up a gem like that, you have to ask the question, what exactly are you talking about Chris??????? Even the best of shills know that!!

* Chris Bosh says there’s “good” odds he will stay in Toronto. Does anyone there want to guess what Bosh means by good odds? I mean are we 70-30, 60- 40, 50-50??? Oh, wait, there was no follow up question to that statement either!

* Interview ends with more lobs to Bosh about his iphone app. Journalism at it’s absolute toughest.

* “Jonesy” ends the segment with this gem, ” I (“Jonsey”) take a lot of heat for saying that Bosh could walk down Yonge street with any other Toronto athlete and Bosh would be more recognizable than the other athlete.” I am sorry, but raise your hand if you dispute this? Suffice it to say that Bosh has a rather “unique” look to him no???? Seriously…I need to know who gives “Jonesy” heat for this? Can you imagine Roy Halladay, Vernon Wells and Luke Schenn walking down Yonge street with Bosh and Bosh is the one who gets noticed….SHOCKER!!!!!

Where is Spider Jones when we need him??

bosh-es-20090604

[podcast]https://torontosportsmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/bosh-es-20090604.mp3[/podcast]

JP80
JP80
June 4, 2009 9:59 pm

You’re sort of crapping on the hosts a lot considering you didn’t listen to the interview.

I thought it was fine. Interviews with play by play guys are always going to be soft.

Overall, I think Hoops is a solid show though.

julian
julian
June 5, 2009 7:11 am

JP80,

Nice that your expectations are so low. This was more than soft, and it didn’t have to be. It wasn’t in the context of a play-by-play game. And as TSM pointed out, Bosh put it out there that he’s been mistreated by the newspapers.

Instead of showing one ounce of journalistic integrity, the kissyfaces with their nicknames just nod, and go “yeah, chris, right on chris.”. Pretty easy to ask him to give examples.

The hosts deserve to be crapped on because their playbyplay isn’t very good. I don’t waste the time to listen to them host a talk show. The apologizing and defending of all things Raptors-esque drives me mad.

Al from Burlington
Al from Burlington
June 5, 2009 7:31 am

I admit I am not much of a basketball fan, but when I do hear a game on the radio in the car, the play by play work to me does seem very weak, not much excitement comming through these guys.

Not sure “soft” interviews are only attributed to these guys, I rarely hear any hard direct questions to any athlete or management type in TO media. Is there anyone who excels at this?

JP80
JP80
June 5, 2009 9:44 am

Oh, fair enough then. I thought you didn’t listen to the interview.

I don’t think there’s any more apologizing or defending of the Raptors than there is of any other team in Toronto. I think Leaf apologists are far worse.

furcifer
June 5, 2009 10:10 am

JP80: Which Leaf apologists? The ones like Berger who refer to fans as idiotic sheep? The ones like Cox who can’t write a column without mentioning 1967? Which ones? The Raptors media is far too homerish.

Eggbert
Eggbert
June 5, 2009 10:29 am

I like Bosh, but he is overvalued.Trade him while the market is hot!

JP80
JP80
June 5, 2009 10:55 am

I was referring to some Leaf fans, not the media.

Jack Armstrong, Doug Smith, Michael Grange, Dave Feschuck – they all seem pretty fair to me. Swirsky was definitely a crazy big time homer though.

Eggbert
Eggbert
June 5, 2009 11:34 am

I agree JP80,Jack Armstrong, Doug Smith, Michael Grange and Dave Feschuck are objective,Armstrong has too much pride to suck Raptor cock,regardless of being on the payroll.The other guys are paid shills who are would put stage door groupies to shame.

@TSM: I don’t understand the Spider Jones comment

JP80
JP80
June 5, 2009 12:02 pm

I think Armstrong is a great host on the fan too. He knows all 4 sports really well, and he’s entertaining. What does the fan do with the gameplan if Maclean leaves to coach Florida again?

Eggbert
Eggbert
June 5, 2009 12:13 pm

re: “What does the fan do with the gameplan if Maclean leaves to coach Florida again?”

They’ll probably give the job to Jonesy’s mole

furcifer
June 5, 2009 2:46 pm

Doug Smith is a big homer too.

Julian
Julian
June 5, 2009 5:19 pm

Armstrong does not know all 4 sports really well. Stupid thing to say. Seriously, he can’t! He would watch no hockey during basketball season.

Do you think Darren Dreger and Nick Kypreos watch a lot of NBA? They can’t. They wouldn’t be any good at what they do if they did.

Give me a break. Armstrong is good at what he does because he knows one sport. Period. He might like to check in on other sports and read the sports section, but that’s about it.

JP80
JP80
June 5, 2009 6:16 pm

No, it’s not a stupid thing to say.

Listening to that show, Armstrong absolutely holds his own with all four sports, while Maclean seems uncomfortable going outside of hockey.

In fact, I’d say Armstrong knows baseball and football better than a lot of hosts on the Fan. And paired with Maclean he seems to do hockey ok.

Of course he’s best with basketball, but I’ve been impressed by his knowledge of other sports.

I’m basing my opinion on listening to what he says during the show. Not assuming that he doesn’t know much outside of basketball, because you don’t think he’d have time to watch hockey. How do you know what he has time for? Or Dreger or Kypreos?

Supposedly Kypreos is a huge Jays fan. I wonder how that’s possible since he wouldn’t be a good analyst if he watched baseball when hockey is still on? He can’t right? Since knowing a lot about baseball during hockey season would make him a bad analyst, I guess. Someone will have to fill him in on what’s happened in the first two months of the season.