Is It Time For A New Voice Of The Maple Leafs?

I am going to get shit for this, I know it….A loyal reader asked me to throw this up as a poll, and well he said please. So without further ado, the question to you leaf nation is….. Is it time for Joe Bowen to hang em up???

mf37
June 4, 2009 9:33 pm

I was really hoping this was a post about replacing Andy Frost. I miss the understated tones of the great Paul Morris.

lt67
lt67
June 4, 2009 9:50 pm

I miss Paul Morris too….At one game I was at this year; Andy played a taped version of Paul announcing “last minute of play in the period”…the sad thing about it is, nobody around me knew who it was…sad.

Now, please throw up a similar poll but asking about Jerry Howarth….

JP80
JP80
June 4, 2009 10:02 pm

No way, Jerry, Alan and Mike are fantastic.

I could do without Jamie Campbell though.

As for Bowen, I think he’s great.

Al from Burlington
Al from Burlington
June 5, 2009 6:25 am

Holy Mackinaw, the thought of this is sacreligious!
Bless you boys!

The Meatriarchy
June 5, 2009 6:52 am

Joe Bowen is the greatest hockey announcer alive today.

Eggbert
Eggbert
June 5, 2009 7:01 am

Time for Bowen to go?
I’d like to have read one valid reason.I do agree that Paul Morris is greatly missed.Jamie Campbell isn’t the problem on Jays broadcasts,Tabler is shockingly weak and bland and should have been replaced years ago.Fletcher is good(Campbell clearly prefers him) and Rance needs to add more personality to his presentation.I don’t know how many awkward pauses(and dead air moments) I’ve heard during Campbell/Rance broadcasts.

Al from Burlington
Al from Burlington
June 5, 2009 7:34 am

Just curious, I was living overseas when the ACC opened, what happened to Paul Morris, did he just retire?

I used to love how he prounced “Marlboros”

furcifer
June 5, 2009 7:42 am

The “Bless you boys” with his voice breaking against Ottawa remains one of my favourite Bowen calls and I’m not even religious.

“Bless you boys, what a game! UNBELIEVABLE! In our very small way of being a part of this team, I don’t think I have ever been as proud in my entire life. What a performance, what a gritty bit of work over the last 28 seconds…Shayne Corson, Travis Green, Alex Mogilny…UNBELIEVABLE! Game 7 is Tuesday night, and let’s make Daniel Alfredsson and the Senators mope!”

To answer Al yes, Paul Morris retired.

The Meatriarchy
June 5, 2009 8:26 am

BTW I never liked Paul Morris.

Eggbert
Eggbert
June 5, 2009 8:51 am

@The Meatriarchy: He spoke highly of you 😉

Down Goes Brown
June 5, 2009 9:03 am

Now please sit in a dark corner and say ten Holy Mackinaws.

Pension Plan Puppets
June 5, 2009 9:14 am

Damn. I also thought that this was going to be a petition to bring back the dulcet tones of Paul Morris.

They used his last minute of play announcement during the holiday season and I swear when I heard it that I flashed back to being a 7 year old at the Gardens.

June 5, 2009 9:36 am

Bowen is still quite good on television……………however when he is on radio with Jim Ralph they can be incredible homers at times……………some of the things those two guys say during the radio broadcasts are embarrassing

eyebleaf
June 5, 2009 10:10 am

HELL NO.

Trev D
Trev D
June 5, 2009 10:52 am

Where is the loyal reader who wanted this poll to be put up? Why would he want Bowen to be replaced?

raystr8r
raystr8r
June 5, 2009 1:36 pm

Yes hang em up, please!
I hate Bowen almost as much as the Senetors.
His nonsensical ravings and relentless cackling while ther’s a play going drives me in-fucking-sane.

Joneses
Joneses
October 27, 2009 12:03 pm

Pigskin Pete called. He wants his Holy Mackinaw back!

Brawley
Brawley
October 27, 2009 10:11 pm

I never really understood why he got the job in the first place. He’s annoying with that “Holy Mackinaw” catch phrase.

Time to go Joe!

mike
mike
July 25, 2010 11:21 am

they should get rid of andy frost instead nothing againts him but hes way too loud and sometimes trys to steal the show. would be great paul morris was back

gunner4413
gunner4413
September 23, 2010 12:22 pm

I guess old Joe can get by on reputation because he seems to be lacking the facts of late.But Greg Millen has to go!CBC did the rite thing in letting him go now the Leafs must follow suite!!!The man repeats himself all game and i am not really sure what his connection to the Leafs really is?

Johnny B
Johnny B
November 21, 2010 1:55 am

Bowen must go as must AM640 as Leaf broadcaster…the FAN590 NEEDS Leafs play by play to survice considering new format.

John B
John B
February 3, 2011 1:38 pm

YES replace him. I’ve been a loyal leafs fan for over 55 years, and I now turn off games because I an’t stand Bowde, his phony laugh, his inane drivel and absolute massacring of the English lanquage (eg … there’s 1 minute left in the infraction ……. Does he say there’s 5 years left in the murder for inmates ……. You commit an infraction and receive a penalty for it … ther’s time left in the PENALTY