Kaberle Gone Wild????

Now the good folks at the Score had a juicy rumor last week that a deal was done between the Ducks and Kings, so far that hasn’t proven to be true. That one was from Steve Ludzik. Now I am told, and I didn’t see it that big Al Strachan (insert comment here) has been spewing the following rumour:

To Minnesota Wild:
Tomas Kaberle

To Toronto Maple Leafs:
Marek Zidlicky
Josh Harding

Don’t shoot the messenger and given the source, take it with a large grain of salt…

Here are the details on this rumour:

Marek Zidlicky $3,350,000 for next season then he is an UFA
Josh Harding RFA who made $725,000 last season.
Tomas Kaberle :$4,250,000 this season and next season

For my 2 cents, I would hope if Burke is going to move Kaberle he would do better than this. Also, I would suspect that this won’t happen if Burke lands the Monster… Thoughts?

Don’t shoot the messenger!

Chris
Chris
June 17, 2009 10:05 pm

Interesting…Josh Harding could end up being an elite goalie…either way I could see the leafs and wild dealing, with the Fletcher connection and a new philosophy in Minnesota

yerry.take
yerry.take
June 17, 2009 10:10 pm

why is Burkie wasting his time looking for a keeper when he has Pogge waiting in the wings? heh.

lt67
lt67
June 17, 2009 10:29 pm

He needs a back-up goalie so no issue as far as I’m concerned that he looks based on the fact that he doesn’t think Pogge deserves the back up spot on the big club.

That said; i do think they should re-sign Pogge to play for the Marlies. Unless they have another goalie prospect to groom – may as well keep what you have…maybe he’s a late bloomer.

lt67
lt67
June 17, 2009 10:31 pm

….forgot to comment on the deal/rumour. I too would like to see him do better for Kaberle….

ChuChu
ChuChu
June 17, 2009 10:53 pm

This trade makes very little sense to me. I thought Burke’s M.O. was to build a bigger, tougher team not a smaller one. Zidlicky is very small for a defenceman.

Can’t say I know much about Harding although those numbers aren’t fantastic given the Minnesota system.

SL
June 17, 2009 11:29 pm

I don’t think you can get much more for Kaberle. Outside of Toronto he’s just another puck-moving defenseman. Zidlicky actually takes shots and scores, and Harding still has the potential to be a number one guy.

eyebleaf
June 18, 2009 9:46 am

@SL: “Just another puck-moving defenseman?” BITE YOUR FINGERS!!!

Steve
June 18, 2009 11:22 am

I actually think this is a fairly solid deal for the Leafs. Zidlicky is cheaper than Kaberle, and will be gone following this year if the Leafs need the roster space. You don’t lose much on the offensive end, and frankly despite the fact that he is 5’11” and 190 lbs, he can’t be much softer than the 6’1″ 198 lbs Kaberle.

Harding is the key to this, and he would give the Leafs a decent option as a backup that would potentially develop into a starter.

Something tells me that if this is close to reality it depends on the Gustavsson signing. If they sign the Monster, it’s not going to happen. If on the other hand they lose out on the signing of Gustavsson, then this sort of deal begins to make a lot more sense.

Eggbert
Eggbert
June 18, 2009 12:32 pm

Great! a Dman that might be gone after next year for roster space and a POSSIBLE starting goale.

How is that solid?

mf37
June 18, 2009 4:39 pm

I’d like the deal better if it was a transfer of RFAs with Grabovski going to Minny for Harding.

If this deal doesn’t go down, I suspect all those teams in the Gustavsson sweepstakes plus Edmonton, will have an RFA offer sheet with Harding’s name on it come July.