Have The Changes Started At The Fan?

A loyal fan has pointed out that the late night vampire, Norm Rumack, it appears is the first to be let go from the Fan 590. Sources are telling TSM that Norm is no longer going to be on the Fan and that this is just the beginning of the changes.

Norm, you have been at this for a long time. I hope you land on your feet.

More later..

June 23, 2009 3:27 pm

Norm was with the Fan since day one, I believe. I used to listen to him all the time as a kid after Leafs and Jays games. I always thought he deserved a shot at a better slot than late night..

Man, if they wanted to get rid of some salary, I could think of a few other guys at the Fan they could have let go of who probably make a lot more money than Norm did.

mike
mike
June 23, 2009 3:31 pm

his show was never more entertaining than when he was arguing with anti-Leaf callers. the Leafs have not been competitive for several years now. the math is pretty simple on this one.

it’s time for something new. that goes for several time slots.

Eggbert
Eggbert
June 23, 2009 4:02 pm

2:00am – 5:30amFAN 590 Rewind

Al from Burlington
Al from Burlington
June 23, 2009 4:15 pm

Hammerhead Alert!

June 23, 2009 4:25 pm

If it is true they are getting rid of Rumack (I’ll believe it when I see it) it won’t impact me much…………..I never listen to his show because I have always disliked him.

I used to think that Daniel and I think alike when it comes to sports radio in this city……………but last week he said he really likes Wilner (ugh) and now he says he likes Rumack…………I am a bit worried about my friend Daniel………….and if he says he likes Roger Lajoie then I will be really worried about him

June 23, 2009 5:41 pm

Haha, I thought that too Mike S. I guess this is sort of a Leafs focused blog, and I think I’m one of the only people who post here that isn’t really a huge hockey fan, so I seem to frequently disagree with most people here other than you.

I do really enjoy Wilner, this is true. But Rumack? Honestly, it’s probably more just the nostalgia because I used to listen as a kid. I used to think it was funny when he’d get in huge fights with callers. Truthfully, I haven’t really listened to his show in years.

So, hey… I think we’re still on the same page pretty much!

The Meatriarchy
June 23, 2009 8:28 pm

Rumack was at his best in the early 90’s when Detroit and Toronto had that great playoff rivalry going. However his shtick really got old and although I think he is probably a nice guy he didn’t seem like the sharpest tack in the drawer.

When he did his impression of a wrestler a few years back and decided to go from “baby face” (leafs fan) to “heel” (buffalo fan) it was even more annoying.

I guess he’ll have to take a full time job now as dj at the Whiskey-a-go-go

“and now gentleman welcome to the center stage Crystal.. big hand for crystal…… Mercedes come see me in the booth….”

FWIW I agree with some of the earlier commenters – Runack isn’t necessarily the problem with this station.

And as a side note did anyone else notice that regular Fan contributor Glen Healey showed up on AM640 today? Might we be hearing Pierre McGuire or Damien Cox there next???

sg
sg
June 23, 2009 10:19 pm

If that gasbag healy is gone then good riddance. Cox and McGuire on the other hand…

dsscpu
dsscpu
June 24, 2009 9:01 am

Looks as if it is confirmed, as Howard Berger had alluded to it in his blog…

I have a heavy heart tonight, as the global recession has finally left its mark on the radio station for which I’ve worked the past 21 years. My pal and colleague, Norm Rumack, was terminated this week after more than a decade-and-a-half as the indomitable “Late-Night Vampire”. I always admired Norm for his ability to handle the graveyard air shift, as he bantered with callers and interviewed hundreds of subjects over the years between 11 p.m. and 2 a.m. It’s not a stretch to say that Norm’s fiery persona carried the radio station in the early days of the all-sports format (which began in September, 1992), and he developed an unmistakable presence at THE FAN-590. Times, however, do change, and Norm is now looking for a new venture. I haven’t yet talked to my long-time boss, Nelson Millman, about Norm’s departure, but I can guarantee it was one of the toughest decisions he’s ever made as program director and general manager. I join Nelson and, I’m sure, many of you in wishing Norm a quick bounce-back, and much success in whatever gig he ultimately lands.”

To read the full blog, go to http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Howard-Berger/Pondering-The-Leafs-Future/3/21699

June 24, 2009 11:02 am

I think Berger is overestimating Rumack’s importance in the early 1990’s………………it was guys like McCown, Shulman, Shaky Hunt, Gord & Damien, etc. who “carried the radio station in the early days of the all-sports format”, not Rumack

Sean
Sean
June 25, 2009 10:13 am

Rumack was great in the early 90’s, but he lost his edge the last 5 years, all his loyal listeners left him once he lost the anger and passion and became just another radio guy. Once he lost that then you had to know that his days where numbered.

Sean
Sean
June 25, 2009 11:20 pm

“Might we be hearing Pierre McGuire or Damien Cox there next???”

Im actually shocked that Rogers allows McGuire, a TSN guy on there show. Its dumb but its how they operate. I think that they would rather have someone like Jim Lang tell us about the news of the NHL then someone who actually knows what is going on like McGuire, sinply so they can say “Sportsnet’s Jim Lang”. This is the one edge that 640 has on Rogers right now, to be able to pull out guys like Bob Mackenzie and put them on the radio is something the really need to push. If the Fan is dumb enough to tell McGuire to leave, then they deserve what they get.