Bikini OTD Sports Radio Tonight-TSM Take

Here’s your bikini of the day from bikinibeat.org:
Samantha

On Fan 590 Tonight– thanks to Mike S.
Guest host is Rob Faulds
– open phones with McCown from 4:05 to 4:40
– co-host from 5:00 to 7:00 is Jim Kelley
Jack Armstrong on the upcoming NBA draft

– Eric Erlendsson of the Tampa Tribune on the Lightning ownership mess

– Carolina Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutherford

– new head coach of the Everett Silvertips Craig Hartsburg

– Kareem Abdul Jabbar

This may change by the way…..

On 640 with Brady and Watters:

4:20 – Norm Rumack
4:40 – Steve Yzerman
5:10 – Bart Andrus – Argos coach
5:20 – Brian Leetch
5:40 – Thom Brennaman – Reds Broadcaster
610 – Dreger

TSM TAKE:

Gone from the fan one day, a guest on 640 the next. Rumack should be good to listen to. I have a lot of respect for Norm. He stuck in the shift where the nutbars like to come out and call and did with a lot of fun and passion. Am I the only one who only thinks of the movie Airplane when I hear the name Kareem Abdul-Jabaar? Jim Ruthreford is good on the radio and usually tells it like it is. Good to hear Craig Hartsburg has a new gig, I am surprised though in that I thought he was going to get the Marlie job. Is there a classier guy in the NHL than Steve Yzerman. It’ one jersey I have unsigned for little TSM, an omission I hope to fix soon. It’s almost Argos season and that is a good thing. I haven’t heard to much from the new coach. I am huge Leetch fan and feel ripped off that he only lasted 1 year here. Come on Double D, it’s your time to shine, let’s hear the scoop.

June 24, 2009 3:22 pm

It’s almost like the Bill Watters show has a fixation with the Fan, considering the amount they talk about the station.

Why interview Norm today? It’s kind of weird. I can’t imagine that Greg Brady would be interviewed on the Fan if he got fired by 640.

June 24, 2009 3:25 pm

By the way, totally off topic, but I thought I’d pass this along:

Nice to see that even though the Jays attendance numbers have fallen, their TV numbers have been so strong. 350,000 for a mid season game against the Nationals is pretty good.

June 24, 2009 3:41 pm

Norm worked in Toronto for 13 years in sports radio. That’s the difference. I bet Brady would concur that he wouldn’t be on 590. It’s a stupid comparison.

June 24, 2009 3:46 pm

There is only one person on Watters’ show who consistenly talks about 590 on the air and it ain’t Wilbur……………Wilbur likes to take the odd shot at 590 but he usually only does it when he is prodded to do so

June 24, 2009 3:52 pm

Rumack has been with 590 since it started in 1992 so by my calculations he was there for 17 years, not 13……………the next time Julian feels the need to take a shot at Daniel he should probably check his math first

June 24, 2009 4:02 pm

Dude, have you ever learned to argue about something without calling the other person stupid? That’s like your trademark. People disagree, it doesn’t mean that one person is right and smart, and the other is wrong and stupid.

That being said, this IS the internet, so .. who cares, I guess.

June 24, 2009 4:04 pm

I do take back that the interview was weird idea though. I just listened and I actually thought both Rumack and Brady were really classy.

June 24, 2009 4:08 pm

You’re not stupid. Your argument is. There is a reason to have Norm Rumack on 640. There is NO reason to have Greg Brady on 590. If TSM agrees with you and not me, I’ll eat my hat.

Sorry I got the number of years wrong, Mike. But you got the drift on my point, despite your need to nitpick.

The interview was classily done. Give some credit instead of blasting. Brady isn’t always as profressional as he just was.

June 24, 2009 4:23 pm

I use to like the Watters show until Brady came along, if i wanted to hear constant ripping of the Fan 590 id go somewhere else. Brady needs to check his ego and stop taking every opportunity to rip on his competition, it drives people away.

June 24, 2009 4:25 pm

Yeah. I guess there probably is a lot more of a reason for Rumack to be interviewed on 640 than Brady on 590.

I was probably wrong on that. There ya go.

June 24, 2009 4:40 pm

“Brady isn’t always as professional as he just was”

So much for my theory that Julian has a secret man-crush on Mr. Brady

lt67
lt67
June 24, 2009 4:56 pm

Interview with Norm was great and I like that 640 did…period. Too bad they let Norm go; I’d take him any day over Toth on a day-time show.

Anyone think there is a chance Norm is on 640 by August?

June 24, 2009 5:04 pm

Brady needs some refining, but he seems to be the least afraid to actually get out there and say SOMETHING, unlike a lot of folks on the radio and tv in this town. Doug McLean is equally refreshing that way.

Sorry to hack on you guys. If Brady had even made ONE negative inference about 590, you guys win the argument. It doesn’t mean he never will again, because 640 is clearly putting a lot of resources into winning, but yeah, classy move and classily handled. Norm probably mentioned the Fan 590 a tad more than 640 would have liked, but whatever!

June 24, 2009 8:59 pm

Hopefully Julian knows that when I mention his math or his man-crush I am just poking fun at him…………….sometimes I like to still things up a bit.

I agree with everyone else. I admire Brady for asking Rumack to come on his show and I admire Rumack for saying yes so soon after getting let go.

For me, the bottom line is this: Wilbur and Brady have a good show………..Brady shouldn’t have to constantly say things like “we have much better hockey coverage than anyone else in Toronto radio” or “we were the first station in the city to have Marc Crawford on”…………when he says things like that (and when he trashes 590 for no apparent reason) it comes across as self-serving and petty…………..he has a good show, he should concentrate on keeping it that way or even making it better…………..I don’t see how criticizing the competition publically will help him keep the listeners he has and get new ones

June 25, 2009 10:17 am

Julian,
I cant give you a specific time or date, but when Maurice resigned he spent 10 seconds on the news aspect and 30 seconds ripping on Burger (without mentioning his name) for the interview he did after the firing of Maurice by Fletcher. He does this all the time, and as others say, makes him look petty. Especially because of the fact that when you take shots at the other guys, it makes you look like your below them.

Eggbert
Eggbert
June 25, 2009 11:15 am

Mike S,

I’ve always thought this was a very pro Brady site.I personally don’t have an opinion on him one way or the other.

June 25, 2009 12:40 pm

My understanding of that is that Maurice was recorded and played back without his permission by Berger and Maurice, before he even got to school to tell his kids that he’d been fired, heard himself on the air commenting on it.

Berger later apologized to Maurice, and their relationship is cordial, but that’s what Berger is being ripped for.

Here’s what I agree on. Little cracks here and there are probably sometimes ill-timed and have no relevance, but proclaiming that you broke a story, or had a guest on someone else didn’t is something you do in the business.

590 trumped up their exclusive Tom Brady interview a couple months back big-time. Is that taking a shot at 640? Hardly. Have both Brady and Watters gone personal and professional at times? Yes. But I hear far more “professional” criticism than I do “personal”.

This site has shredded the Watters show at times, and sometimes, they’ve deserved it. No one’s making a commentary on anyone as people. That’s what people don’t understand. The guy who runs this site has documented on many occasions that he doesn’t like Hogan and Toth’s show. He hasn’t made any comment on them as people.

I can’t think of too many cracks anyone in Toronto has made other than Watters calling Kypreos “a junior A player” to his face that I’d consider unfairly personal, and that includes anythign Brady said.

Sean, if you can think of a “shot” that’s personal, not professional, feel free. I think that aspect of Gregg Brady has been reigned it, either by himself or someone else. The guy pounded Balsillie yesterday for not showing up in Hamilton last week. That doesn’t impugn his character, it simply questions Balsillie’s decision not to show up.

Yet, 590 runs ads where David Miller is called a “dipstick” by McCown. This crap happens all the time.

June 25, 2009 1:48 pm

Hey Julian…………..when someone on 640 (not Wilbur) makes fun of the weight of another person (Garrioch) more than once on the air that might be considered personal criticism and not professional criticism, don’t you think??

June 25, 2009 2:27 pm

Yep. But the issue is can the guy take a joke? How sensitive a society are we? When, if TSM is accurate, Garrioch calls a bunch of colleagues at 640 and tells them he’s suing Brady, and then doesn’t have the guts to follow through with a lawsuit (on what grounds, I can’t imagine), it says more about Garrioch than it does about Brady.

Why hasn’t he sued TSM for calling him a crybaby?

Seriously Mike, bring it better than that. I don’t think I’ll change your mind, and you won’t change mine.

I don’t mind that stuff. I’m in my late 40s. When Arsenio Hall said he’d “kick Jay Leno’s ass” in the late night talk show wars, I find that funny. When Letterman makes a joke about Leno or Conan’s new show, is that “unprofessional”? When Letterman makes a joke about Oprah being fat, do you turn off the TV?

Fine, you can if you want. The name of the game is entertainment, not blandness.

June 25, 2009 3:35 pm

Julian, if you truly believe that a sports radio talk show host making fun of a sports writer’s weight on the air is entertaining then we definitely are never going to agree on this subject

June 25, 2009 4:03 pm

Agree. We won’t agree. You are a very sensitive human being. Do you kill flies? We know you didn’t like Borat, and you won’t go see Bruno though. Or TSM’s favourite movie, Stripes, because it made fun of John Candy’s character’s weight.

Can you believe all those roles John Candy made over the years that NEVER referenced his weight. Oh that’s right, he wasn’t insecure about it. Get over yourself.

Thanks for not answering any of my questions about late night TV because it would make you look like a tightass.

June 25, 2009 4:08 pm

And tell your buddy who runs your favorite website how insensitive he is making fun of people. Really. The nerve.

June 25, 2009 10:31 pm

Julian,
My whole issue with it was that it had no basis in the conversation that he was having. Maurice signs an extension and uses it as a tool to rip on the Fan. Maurice may have gone threw that, and Berger may have been an idiot, but what does that have to do with the news from THAT DAY, and why do i need to hear about it two years later?

As a listener, I do not care what Burger did, Im not listening to him now, why should i have to be told about something that i really do not care about? Its very pretty, and the reason that i have switched from Watters to McCown, and from Leafs Lunch to Hockey Central is because of the constant shots that Brady makes, its not something that i want to listen to.

I have listened to some great radio in my life time, and what made them all great at what they did was that they reported the news and talked about how it effected people. They did not talk about the news and then use it as a tool to rip on their competition. That, is the issue that i have with Brady, and the Watters show in general.

June 25, 2009 10:39 pm

Sorry, wanted to add that I realize that its not personal, that he does not “hate” berger. I think that he is trying to make his competition look week by taking shots at them as professionals, which I believe (and i think most agree) actually makes Brady and co. look worse then those who he takes shots at (in this case Berger). It makes them look insecure about their position in the marketplace.

If the Fan and Berger as as evil as Brady says they are, I am smart enough to figure that out for myself. I do not need Greg Brady telling me this, and I definitely do not need Greg Brady using the signing of an NHL coach to deliver this “shot”

Sorry for the double post, i meant to include this in the previous post. Edit buttons on here would make things easier haha!

julian
julian
June 25, 2009 10:41 pm

Again, it’s entertainment. Do you like Howard Stern? Not my favourite. But enormous respect for him.Does he ever playfully or even angrily rip a competitor? Every damn day of his life. Sometimes it’s totally accurate and deserved, and sometimes it isn’t.

A couple of you guys must find it so “unprofessional” that Stephen Harper runs negative ads about Michael Ignatieff. It’s not a tea party, it’s a cutthroat business, and the Maurice/Berger thing was probably 16-18 months ago. Got anything more recent that so grossly offended you?

Not Garrioch fat slob references, either. Garrioch IS a fat slob. And a lazy reporter. And a baby. Gee, I’m so offended someone called him fat on the radio.

Next time someone calls Jessica Simpson a bimbo, I will remember how offended you guys probably are by that.

Lighten up. No one’s dying. It’s competition.

And yes, you should feel so sorry for Berger, a guy being sued because he alleged Sean Avery made a “cancer joke” about Jason Blake. None of Blake’s teammates back it up, and Berger is the only media source to slander Avery.

If Avery did it, shame on anyone who doesn’t say, “yeah, I heard it”. If Avery didn’t, Berger is a scumbag. End of story.

June 26, 2009 10:48 am

Julian,
We will agree to disagree, i guess you simply missed my point.

June 26, 2009 10:50 am

I really should stop these double posts lol

Julian, my point was that it was 16-18 months ago, but Brady brought it up 2 weeks ago. Thats the issue.

Again, we can agree to disagree.

June 26, 2009 11:57 am

Well, he probably shouldn’t have done that. What do you want me to say? Maybe he was trying to be funny.

I just don’t decide to not to listen to an entire station or show based on a comment or two that pokes at their direct competition. And you say you don’t listen to Leafs Lunch as a result?

Brady almost never hosts Leafs Lunch, but you protest and don’t listen to Dreger because Brady took a poke at Howard Berger?

Ok. Got it.

I was listening to McCown and he pretended not to know who Watters was a few weeks ago. It was so offensive. I might not listen again.

June 26, 2009 12:22 pm

Julian,

I will say that Dreger is such an upgrade over Brady its not even funny. I really should refine my statement and say that if Brady is on i do not listen, its not worth my time.

I think that we will not agree, time to move on.

Jeff
Jeff
June 27, 2009 2:09 pm

Brady is not someone who i like, but Watters really does not bring a ton to the table at this point. I remember last year he was upset over the Kubina Contract, saying how no one in there right mind would touch it, and that the only way that he is moved through waivers. Imagine my surprise to hear days later that San Jose had a deal worked out for him.

I like Dreger on the radio a lot, when him and Bob MacKenzie team up on Leafs Lunch its great radio, they really need to have him on more often.

June 28, 2009 4:20 pm

Agree,
when Dreger is on the radio he adds so much more, from both a professional and performance point of view, then anyone else that is usually on that show.