Who Should Be On HNIC’s Satellite Hotstove?

So with Mike Milbury apparently gone, the question to you today is, who do you think should be on CBC’s Sports – Satellite Hotstove on Hockey Night In Canada? I have some names and opinions, but considering how much we love/loathe the segment I asked a friend last night this question, who, besides Bob McKenzie and Darren Dreger is hockey’s number one insider? That is, if you were to say, this rumor/news has to be true if for no other reason ______________ said it, and I trust him/her. One caveat to your list, the person can’t be on tv anywhere else on Saturday nights.

So, here are some of my thoughts, considering that the role is rumor monger/NHL news fact finder and it’s league wide not just Toronto:

Pierre Lebrun is still a solid choice, he does great work and is watchable
Larry Brooks, love or loathe, he knows his shit and he would be good for controversy
Kevin Allen, USA Today’s hockey writer is well connected across the league
Bill Watters, word is he may not be doing much TV anymore, or a dramatically reduced role and no Saturdays. Say what you want about him, he knows everybody but seems to add the letter E to the end of everyone’s name
Kevin Paul Dupont- Boston Globe writer is solid, been around for a long time and knows his shit
Scott Morrison- Ok he’s a tad dull and or stiff, but he knows his stuff too and is watchable
Jonas Segel- Couldn’t help myself
Tim Wharnsby- Good writer, been on the beat for a long time
Matt Sekeres- Used to cover the Senators and now covers the Canucks

On the out list:
Bruce Garrioch- Way too much fiction, not enough fact
Eric Duhatschek- I love him as a writer but he is too Sr. for this
Al Strachan- do I need to say why?

So, what do you think?

Chris Nadeau
July 30, 2009 9:27 am

Lets get some some new blood on here. How about @Eklund?

Fred
Fred
July 30, 2009 9:38 am

how about Howard Berger?, he would be fresh on TV

and maybe Julie from Julie Loves Hockey

She would bring a new perspective to the Hot stove

Wendel
Wendel
July 30, 2009 9:49 am

I like Lebrun and Morrission, both knowledge, not over the top kinda guys, we get enough of that with Don “the mouthpiece” Cherry; maybe add Kevin Allen in there too. That is one of my favorite parts of the HNIC broadcast because you get good inside news, I don’t tune in for the clowning or controversy, and certainly not for Milbury and Strachan.

lt67
lt67
July 30, 2009 10:03 am

Mackenzie and Dregger would be ideal but I guess that’s not going to happen.

I agree that Scott M is knowledgeable but I also agree that he doesn’t look comfortable on TV.

So; I’d be happy with Lebrun, Brooks, Allen and Dupont…Shame on you for even joking about Jonas…As for Watters – I’d put him on the bottom of that list. Not too sure about Wharnsby or Sekers.

How about Koules, Blair, Brunt, Schoalts…

Marco Moro? Hahahahaha

I miss John Davidson…he was very good on Hotstove.

lt67
lt67
July 30, 2009 10:03 am

…PS: Is it just me or does the play by play and colour commentary need an upgrade as well? I think TSN is taking it to HNIC for the actual game portion.

gambler23
July 30, 2009 10:23 am

Duhatschek should stay. He’s the most connected, and respected hockey writer out there. So what if he’s got grey hair.

Lebrun definitely. He’s really come into his own the last few years and he is probably right there with Dreger as the most connected young guy.

For the 3rd guy I could live with either Allen or Dupont. Just so long as it’s not Morrison – he simply does not have it anymore. I get the impression he just parrots other’s reporting. Plus he’s dull as all heck.

Just thank god they’re finally giving Strachan the boot. Bye bye Al, don’t let the door hit you on the way out for last call. Idiot.

Leo
Leo
July 30, 2009 12:23 pm

Greg Brady!

theothervatican
July 30, 2009 2:25 pm

Ah Satellite Hotstove, with all the sexual tension between LeBrun and Morrison with his perfectly manicured 5 O’Clock shadow.

Seriously. Those guys sit awkwardly close together on that segment.

Al from Burlington
Al from Burlington
July 30, 2009 4:17 pm

Jeremy Roenick if he does not play again. My wife was getting a tattoo in Vegas and he was getting one as well. They guy is funny as hell and has great stories about players.

Matt
Matt
July 30, 2009 5:01 pm

Kevin Paul Dupont..his sunday column is a must-read, unlike Garrioch who is basically Eklund with a paying gig somehow…

sg
sg
July 30, 2009 5:01 pm

Good topic. What do you mean by Duhatschek is too “Sr”. Generally I agree with Gambler23. You could consider Morganti (was good when he was on PTS radio). I think it would be good to have an American reporter for some variety.

gerry
gerry
July 30, 2009 9:17 pm

I know Brunt is not a “hockey guy” however he seems comfortable in any sport arena.
(if this was 20 years ago, I’d be droppin Hebsy and Tati)

ICEBABY
ICEBABY
July 31, 2009 7:43 pm

Is Milbury really off the show? What happened? Is he off of HNIC totally??? Thanks