Is Chris Bosh About To Fall Flat?

I am the first to admit that I don’t know jack about basketball. I rely on DL to keep you informed on the x’s and o’s and all you need to know about transactions etc. Here is what I do know, when a guy spends his entire off-season promoting him, the stage is set for a BIG fall…All the evidence is pointing to a guy who is all about him and not so much about his team or his basketball career.

Seriously, consider what we have seen or heard from Bosh this off season, has ANY of it been related to the upcoming on-court season? Not one word. Instead what do we get, twitter followers, dvd’s, music and Iphone applications. This has been the summer about me for Chris Bosh.

“Teaming up with Warner to produce my very own CD and DVD, as well as being the first athlete with their very own iPhone and iPod Touch
application, are just two more ways for fans to get to know me off the court,” Bosh said in the release. “Entertaining my fans through the use of technology allows me to continue to try and pioneer the digital space for athletes across the world.”

Call me crazy, but I could give a rats ass about the Chris Bosh off the court. Most athletes don’t want any of us to know them “away from the court”- they strive to have some semblance of a private life. Not our Chris…. Hey, can’t you wait for the Chris Bosh reality show? Don’t you want to see him replace Matt Dunigan on the food network? Oh wait, who is that bagging groceries at Loblaws??? Chris very own CD???? ummmmm, i don’t know, call me crazy, YOUR A BASKETBALL PLAYER….The funny thing is he could be a very very very good basketball player. Chris, I have a great name for your 2nd CD- ‘Jack Of All Trades…..”

Here’s the funny thing. I want him to stay a Raptor. I think he is the real deal on the court. The problem is, I don’t buy for one second that he takes his basketball career seriously. I don’t believe he has spent every waking second in the gym or watching film this off season. Instead he has been working on Chris Bosh the brand. That is all his prerogative. It’s his life and he can do what ever he wants. It says here that the best players live their lives in their sport. Wayne Gretzky played hockey. Kareem, Magic and Bird played basketball- only Chacin had a cologne- and look where that got him. In my book you do the shit that Bosh is doing AFTER you win the league championship and MVP. Winners dedicate their careers to those goals. After they have completed those they can work on their brand. What would you prefer to be know as Chris, the first athlete with a Iphone app or a championship winner and league mvp????? Your actions this summer are speaking volumes of your goals, your work ethic and most of all your priorities.

Mike Toth was talking about professional athletes lack of perspective on the Bullpen this morning. Toth mentioned Dany Heatley, who wants to be traded because his ice time has become reduced by 60 seconds and he is on the 2nd team powerplay as opposed to the first (hey, Toth said it not me). What would Daniel Snyder or his parents have to say about Heatley right now Toth asked. Throw Bosh into the same group. Here is a guy who could have the league eating out of his hand and what’s he doing, working out 24/7??? Nope, CD’s, DVD and Iphone app’s.

The stage is set for a monumental flop- a fall from grace of epic proportions. The guy won’t know what he has until it is gone. We have seen this movie before and it ends the same way 9 times out of 8.

@yyzsportsmedia

pg
pg
August 24, 2009 10:34 pm

There is not one single athlete that works out or spends time in the gym every minute of every day. Would you rather than Bosh spend his free time playing video games, like a fair number of NBA players, or pursuing creative outlets that obviously mean a great deal to him? What makes you think that outside his time recording his digital shorts and whatever that he isn’t spend any other time int he gym or on the court.

Bosh has been nothing but professional in his time in the NBA so far. What makes you think that has suddenly changed?

LT
LT
August 24, 2009 10:56 pm

You forgot to mention his obsession with his hair. I’m with TSM…Bosh is a very good player that could be great….I’d love to hear from players and coaches about his work ethic…just curious.

Imran Pirani
Imran Pirani
August 25, 2009 1:02 am

Don’t agree with you, an athlete has plenty of time for a work-life balance. But Chris Bosh is a bit suspect. Take the last game of the season in 2009 for an example. He needed 19 rebound to get to an even 10.0 RPG average on the season and grabbed exactly 19 rebound that night. A little curious, no?

Eggbert
Eggbert
August 25, 2009 1:35 am

Bosh was an awkward shy dweeby nerd when he came out of college,probably still a virgin.We’re watching him grow up, and growing up includes going through phases.Bosh probably is a bit full of himself right now and could probably use a vet as a mentor,a guy who actually won something, but you won’t find him on the Raps right now……….I guess Bosh would be better off hanging around strip joints like so many other NBA’ers?

Instead he’s producing creative video and involved in music,he sits in with a local dj on a radio station that escapes me.I think Bosh is overrated, but I don’t think his off the court endevours take up that much of his time

VS
VS
August 25, 2009 1:57 am

I’ve read multiple reports saying Bosh is working on bulking up this summer… Bosh himself has been quoted as saying that it’s the Raps need to improve at the 4 spot, that’s his job and he’s going to work on that… yes, there have been a lot more posts and news about Chris Bosh’s off-court exploits lately, but what would you expect around the time of the release of his CD/DVD etc.? I have no way of knowing what Bosh does when he’s not twittering/working on his media-related ventures, but he’s always been said to have strong work ethic, and he has worked hard to get to where he is. Hard work is a habit and is hard to develop or lose, so for someone who had to work as hard as Bosh has to get to where he is, it is very unlikely to stop working altogether. I guess what I’m trying to say is that just because you’ve heard nothing but CD/DVD/iPhone lately about Bosh, doesn’t mean there isn’t other stuff going on. Athletes have always indulged in other things (Shaq, Kareem and others have acted in movies for instance) and in today’s social networking oriented world, its a lot easier for Bosh to do the things he’s doing….

As for the comment about the rebounds… if you know you’re season is in the tank, everything you’ve worked for all year has been futile, and you’ve got one last chance to do something meaningful in the season (be one of 2 people to average 20/10 pts/reb), would you not do everything you could to achieve that? In his position I would have worked as hard as I could to get the 19 boards because in a crappy season, it would feel good to get some sense of achievement… I don’t believe that speaks negatively in any way to Bosh’s character.

VS
VS
August 25, 2009 1:58 am

just to add, I have no way of knowing what Bosh does in his off-time, but I’m just saying that it’s a bit unfair to say that just because all you hear about an athlete is that he’s indulging in non-basketball related activities that he’s not working on his craft as well, or that he’s in for a rapid decline.

August 25, 2009 2:42 am

Yeah, his twittering and videos can be a bit much …

but compared to a lot of other professional athletes, his off the court activities are pleasant to say the least. At least he’s not hanging out with gangsters like those players on the Habs or pulling a Plaxico Burress or something.

He’s a good player and he seems like a good guy. He’s just a bit of a ham. I think that’s OK.

CraigMarketer
CraigMarketer
August 25, 2009 1:59 pm

Hey Mike,

Usually agree with almost all your stuff and I’ve never been a big Bosh fan, he’s certainly not a franchise calibre player, but I think you’re mistaken this off-season.

There have been many updates and reports including tweets from Bosh himself, and interviews with Brian C, Chris is working out with one of the most prominant athletic personal trainers this off-season. I can’t remember his name, but his past clients were impressive.

Agree that Bosh is doing a little too much self-promotion this off-season, but if he’s also doing more work in the gym and is in greater shape than before, I think that’s fair.

Eggbert
Eggbert
August 25, 2009 2:23 pm

@TSM: JEEZ, you said he was poised for “a big fall”

” not so much about his team or his basketball career”

You also say ” I could give a rats ass about the Chris Bosh off the court” but go at length how much his “off court” concerns you……….c’mon TSM,the “I am the first to admit that I don’t know jack about basketball” disclaimer at the top of the story is not an excuse for being misinformed while shooting from the hip. 😉

Big Smoke Gary
Big Smoke Gary
August 25, 2009 2:51 pm

Like you said you’re not a basketball guy becasue Bosh has been working out trying to add weight to be a better post player. There were reports of him working out in Dallas in a warehouse with a trainer trying to add 20lbs. He also mentioned his three hour workouts in TO when he was hear in July. Oh and he showed upo at intro press conference when J Jack was signed, so I’m guessing he’s thinking about the team as well.

Eggbert
Eggbert
August 25, 2009 5:59 pm

Now go to your room TSM,and stop picking on CB4!

trackback

[…] Toronto Sports Media Blog » Is Chris Bosh About To Fall Flat? – I don’t believe he has spent every waking second in the gym or watching film this off season. Instead he has been working on Chris Bosh the brand. That is all his prerogative. It’s his life and he can do what ever he wants. It says here that the best players live their lives in their sport. Wayne Gretzky played hockey. Kareem, Magic and Bird played basketball- only Chacin had a cologne- and look where that got him. In my book you do the shit that Bosh is doing AFTER you win the league championship and MVP. Winners dedicate their careers to those goals. After they have completed those they can work on their brand. What would you prefer to be know as Chris, the first athlete with a Iphone app or a championship winner and league mvp????? Your actions this summer are speaking volumes of your goals, your work ethic and most of all your priorities. […]

Jimmy
Jimmy
August 26, 2009 3:46 pm

“Wayne Gretzky played hockey. Kareem, Magic and Bird played basketball”
Funny how you neglected to mention Jordan, Lebron and Tiger Woods in this article. Last I checked they dominate (in Jordan’s case dominated) in their respective fields, they have the Championships and MVP awards and alot more time and $ have been put into their ‘brands’ than Bosh’s.

Jimmy
Jimmy
August 26, 2009 4:40 pm

My point was that their brands were established while they were/are playing, not afterwards. I’m saying those 3 guys put alot more time into their brands than Bosh does yet still dominate. You argument seems to be that Bosh’s focus on branding will prevent him from winning championships and MVP awards, when those 3 guys have proven that is not the case.

brothersteve
September 12, 2009 11:54 pm

You say you “don’t know jack about basketball” and apparently you don’t follow the news and interviews much either.

Bosh was working out in Dallas this off season (and in Toronto) with a goal of adding 20 lbs of muscle (current estimates are 7-15lbs) The new Raptor strength and conditioning coach, Francesco Cuzzolin has already been to Dallas to check on his progress.

I know the “news” likes to cover twitter twats and CD launches, but there’s been a lot more to Bosh’s off season training. (You can’t train 24/7 unless you’re on roids)

I would have written a story on this – but thought it had been well enough covered already – I guess not.

Mike
October 3, 2009 12:15 pm

That is a great picture of the belly flop guy.