Bikini OTD Sports Radio Tonight- TSM take

Here’s your bikini of the day from bikinibeat.org:
Three Exotic Sirens Swimsuit-9628

On Fan 590 Tonight- thanks to Mike S.

– open phones with McCown from 4:05 to 4:40
– co-host from 5:00 to 7:00 is James Deacon
– Brian Cooper in studio at 5:20 talking sports business issues
-Buzz Hargrove at 6:05 talking NHLPA coupe
-Ernie Els at 6:30
-Patrik LaForge at 6:45

On 640 with Brady and Watters:

– Buzz Hargrove of the NHLPA
– Kirk Herbstreit of ESPN on college football
– Dave Feschuk, co-author of a new book on the Leafs
– Eric Adelson, author of a book on Michelle Wie

TSM TAKE:

Mccown is back and not a minute too soon. What a night for sports radio! First we have the whole Coyotes/Balsillie issue, add to that the Maple Leaf letter and we have something “juicy” to talk about. Next, in case you have been living on the moon, Paul Kelly has been fired from his gig at the NHLPA. When it comes to issues like this, no one is better than Mccown to breaking down the issues. Add to that the new book about the Maple Leafs, the Blue Jays spiraling season, the Argos imploding season and there is a ton to talk about. Across the border there appears to be the makings of a mutiny at the University of Michigan where a few players have gone public with alleged NCAA violations. Have I forgotten anything?

Oh yes, indeed I have. It’s the start of the fall ratings season for radio. Why, is this ratings season different than all others? No, we aren’t eating unleavened bread this ratings system, we are living under a new system though and with the shitty economy this is the book that the advertisers are going to go by. This is the superbowl of sports radio starting today. Under the old system, people would fill out a journal (literally, pen and paper) and could only count the one station that they listened to in a given time frame. So if you got into your car and started with 680 news, and stayed there for 10 minutes, but the rest of the hour listened to 590, you would only record 680.

Industry sources tell TSM that on a test of the new system, 640’s the Oakley station made LARGE gains on the Fan and other morning shows. We are also told that both CFRB and 1050 am saw sizable drops in the amount of time listened to category. That makes sense given the new way in which audience is measured. Despite an almost Mccown free summer, on the test, PTS continued its dominance in the drive home hour.

I know that a test in the dead summer is not overly telling or indicative of much. Believe this, the folks at the stations are paying a lot of attention to what is going on. How they perform over the next several weeks will determine many a fates in the next year. CFRB, in case you missed it let some folks go last week as the economic impact continues to be felt in the industry.

So, who, what and where you listen going forward may actually start to matter. That’s a good thing in this market. Summer is apparently over and most of the big boys are back. It’s one of the only reasons that I look forward to summer ending…

August 31, 2009 6:03 pm

Let’s see………….no Monday roundtable on 590 tonight ??…………..I wonder if this is a sign of things to come or if it is just a one-time thing

JP80
JP80
September 1, 2009 1:57 am

Oakley hammering the Fan, and McCown hammering the Watters show sounds about right to me. Both of those shows are much, much better than the competition, IMO.

I actually think Oakley vs McCown would be the really competitive matchup. I just don’t think the Watters Show stacks up that well.

Julian
Julian
September 1, 2009 12:13 pm

Actually, JP80, your observations are half-accurate.

Oakley has never beaten 590’s morning show in Men 25-54 but it has in adults, and I think the predominant thought is that Oakley will beat them under the new and way more accurate ratings system in Men 25-54. Given they’re the only sports morning show in town, that’s a very very bad sign for that show’s future, given that Oakley should have to split his audience with CFRB, CBC, and 680 for news and talk. Stellick and Landry have a monopoly for the local sports fan, unless they give the Buffalo station some time, and that won’t show up in the ratings if they do.

As for afternoons, TSM has pointed out before the considerable ground that Watters has made up on McCown. Until the winter book, the 640 drive show had gone up 4 straight books, and the McCown show had gone down 4 straight books. McCown has never had competition before of a regional nature, and 1050 pulled the plug quickly when it was a total disaster running national sports.

If Watters ends up with 60 or 70 percent of McCown’s numbers, I think they’ll be partying like it’s 1999 over at 640. The calculated risk has proven to be correct that they could steal some numbers, and they have, now with the new system, it’s a question of how close they’ll get.

I will be shocked if they ever surpass McCown, but empires are built to fall. The show (with Brady) hasn’t even been around two full years, but they’ve gained some big-time ground when a lot of people thought it was a bad joke to give Watters that timeslot.

JP80
JP80
September 1, 2009 4:33 pm

I agree with you about The Fan’s morning show. Need a change there.

I recall that Watters had gone up for a few books in a row, but correct me if I’m wrong, even with that, isn’t McCown’s lead still something like an 8 share to a 2.5 share or so?

Maybe you know more about radio ratings than I do, but that seems like a hammering to me, even with whatever gains they made. I just don’t think the Watters show compares in quality, so those numbers don’t surprise me. Maybe that’s just me.

JP80
JP80
September 1, 2009 4:42 pm

I just think 640 does a better job with the newstalk part of the day than the sports part. Remember Mojo? That was great.

Pudge72
Pudge72
September 11, 2009 8:46 am

Just wanted to correct your description of how “the book” worked in the past. I have completed the book twice in the past two years and the time blocks are broken into 15 minute segments, not one hour segments, where the station that is listened to the most (minimum of five minutes) in that 15 minute block is the station that is recorded as being listened to.