ESPN thinks Toronto Raptors will miss the playoffs, Chris Bosh will leave in 2010

In their daily preview of the upcoming NBA season, ESPN has ranked the Eastern Conference teams in order of predicted finish.

Contrary to what many in these parts believe, the “experts” say the Raptors will finish a close 9th and miss the playoffs.

This comes after only 4 of these 52 experts predicted Chris Bosh to resign with Toronto next summer.

Again, both of these polls differ from the majority of opinions I’ve heard on both subjects.

Personally, I think the Raptors make the playoffs and Bosh stays…So what gives?

Is ESPN showing their American bias, or are these projections simply realistic? Am I a blind homer?

Hmmmmmm?

-DL

tdk
tdk
September 1, 2009 10:10 pm

Isn’t this really about Stephen A. Smith’s column last year about Bosh and how he wants out of Toronto?

ESPN is sticking with Steve. They think Bosh is going to be a distraction this year. It’s like Fox News. They report. You decide. Even if what they report is completely made-up bull$#!t. Then again, it might be true. Funny how that works, isn’t it?

Eggbert
Eggbert
September 2, 2009 12:43 am

I’m more concerned with the publicity and credability hit of losing Bosh, than I am of actually losing him.The NBA is a game where if the offense is funnelled through you,you’ll be the points guy.Bosh is too fragile to be able to break through a playoff level double team.

September 2, 2009 9:18 am

LOLOL too funny! ESPN and theyre bashing of their counter parts. Isnt it always like that? ANyway, Raps will make the playoffs and ESPN will eat it. 9th place?LOLOLOL

September 2, 2009 9:20 am

Experts?!?!?! my 16 yr old brother projected the Raps to go 5th. I said 4th! but 9th?!?! ESPN, youre telling me that the Bucks will be better? this is nothing but utter hatred for the Raps (a Canadian franchise)

lt67
lt67
September 2, 2009 9:32 am

To me, the Bosh resigning and 9th place finish are the easy predictions based on last years season and Bosh’s expiring contract. Nothing more than that as far as I am concerned. Sure; the team has made a number of changes in the off season – but I guess nothing has wow’d the media enough to say they will vault into the top 4 or at least 8 in the conference.

Is it just me or are others uncomfortable with Bosh as our #1 guy anyway? I know zip about Bball but he just doesn’t appear to be the kind of star/intense leader that will take this team to the promised land. He’d be a great #2 on a championship team. Maybe the plan is to let Bosh go and add a true #1 guy someonehow and allow Turk, Calderone, Bargniani or Derozen emerge as our #2 star??

What do I know…

September 2, 2009 11:25 am

The people that are getting their noses out of joint about a 9th place prediction are the same people that predicted 50 wins last year (and the year before that)………why are many Raptors fans so thin-skinned when it comes to comments by the American media??

The bottom line is this………….the changes that have been made look good on paper………….but when that many changes are made it is hard to know what to expect…………..they could finish 4th or they could finish 9th………….we will find out soon enough

Yama F
Yama F
September 2, 2009 12:10 pm

OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!. The Raptors will miss the playoffs because EESSPPNNNNNN said so. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

September 2, 2009 1:37 pm

thats the thing! ESPN says that they wont make the playoffs LOL. Thats the funny part right there. ESPN should just show and tell the sports instead of predicting it.

September 2, 2009 1:38 pm

if the raps are going to be a 50 win team, trade bosh.

September 2, 2009 1:53 pm

LT67. they made changes to deepend the bench. None of these guys are star players except for one, BUT rest assured they are all solid pick-ups. How many star players do we need anyway? If we did have them everybody would want the ball.

Eastern predictons

1.Celtics
2.Cavs
3.Magic
4.Raptors
5.Bulls
6.Hawks
7.Pistons
8.Wizards (believe it or not)

let me know your thoughts

September 2, 2009 1:54 pm

Belinelli is a steal my book! this guy can really play

Hah
Hah
September 3, 2009 12:20 pm

I approach the season with cautious optimism. Remember how JO and CB4 were to be a force to contend with?

roba
roba
September 4, 2009 10:21 pm

I would say they finish 6-9…

The Wiz might come on strong this year, while the Bulls and the Hawks should have a bit of play-off contention in them.

Trade Bosh if it even looks like the Raps are gonna struggle; still not sold on Barney.

But who knows, the team might gel and rocket away to 5th.

September 5, 2009 9:35 pm

I read a column once (I think ESPN) that characterized Raptors fans as thin skinned – but explained it by noting that they’re the only Canadian team in the NBA, and they play in a city where a significant portion of sports fans feel that supporting anything other than hockey is borderline heresy.

So, I get why Raptor fans can be pretty sensitive about stuff like this.

J
J
October 12, 2009 8:04 pm

people are insane in this site. Raptors finish 4th??? I love the Raps but they just done have the players to carry them through. Our starters last year who have been traded are bench players for other teams. To tell you the truth unless they bring in some big time players…….not reggie evens….maybe they have a shot at the playoffs. These international ballers arent gonna cut it in the NBA. First game against the Cavs will let all you dreams know. I have them losing by at least 15 points………..finish 4th???? LOL clearly no one know about bball around here. But still love the Raps, just being real….

Ivo
Ivo
January 29, 2010 10:13 am

lol ahh ESPN…it’s not their fault, they could have never known…I predicted a 5th place finish…and well…there they are. On a roll with close to 8 or 9 more very winnable games, most at home. They had a rough schedule of away games early on and they’re starting to hit their stride now. I really hope Bosh doesn’t leave. The team is really beginning to gel, and you just have the feeling that if he stays, with bargnani playing as well as he is, jarrett jack and calderon both playign well, turkoglu a bust, but last game had a hefty double double against NY, showing signs of life again. Not to mention demar de rozan…this kid’s potential is very high. With him starting now he’ll be very solid in one or 2 more seasons. The nucleus is there…now all Toronto has to do is keep it’s players from leaving (or to at least try to get something reasonable for the ones that do leave…something they historically have been unable to do). We need some stability with this team in order to make it a true contender. It’s on the right path right now, but I really hope they can keep Bosh, or somehow swing a bosh, calderon, +junk and/or cash for Wade. That would be heaven.

Michael
January 30, 2010 3:59 pm

I wish that Reggie Evans was actually a player that was playing instead of sitting on the bench….what a waste. Raptors look good, they are gelling, and I think the can finish 5th. I have high hopes they will make it into the 2nd round but most likely will get knocked out unless they learn how to play solid defense ALL the time. Turk will be huge for us in the play offs if he can play like he played in Orlando. I am looking forward to what we have to see the rest of the year.