MacLean v. McCown or MagLean v. McGown?

I couldn’t believe my ears…the last piece of sports audio or video that I recall being as crazy as this was the Berger v. Wilson press conference exchange…I don’t even know what to say other than wow!

If you didn’t hear it, this is a must listen…

MacLean v. McCown

LT

sg
sg
September 10, 2009 8:46 pm

Yeah, it was unbelievable. They were both bad. I was thinking at first this was a big work, but I guess not.

It was interesting to hear McLean suggest that this exchange was all sort of a big invented kerfuffle and that he just came in pissed off (eg. acting) to respond to McCown (I assume, did not hear) cutting him up in the first part of the show… But then it kind of got nasty.

Is it realistic to accuse McLean of selling out? I mean how do you not go after that opportunity with Balsillie.

September 10, 2009 9:36 pm

Wow…did anyone see this?

Hockey Central is now 12 – 2 with Doug Maclean on from 1 – 2.

Game Plan is now Jack Armstrong and Eric Smith.

Hm! Not sure what I think of that.

September 10, 2009 9:36 pm

Although I gotta say – I’m ok with no more Directors Chair.

LeafFan1989
LeafFan1989
September 10, 2009 10:23 pm

Maclean sounds like a little b****. He didn’t say anything valid to counter McCown and just went “c’mon…..c’mon bud…..c’mon”. I think McCown is a snob who doesn’t let people debate an issue but in this case Maclean got a fair opportunity and didn’t take advantage of it.

mike
mike
September 10, 2009 10:36 pm

Although I gotta say ā€“ Iā€™m ok with no more Directors Chair.

no kidding. i spent a month in toronto after a while away this summer and that program was pretty painful. It was a personality driven show hosted by a guy without one.

i guess the FAN is going with a hockey show followed by a basketball show which seems fine, as long as the 2-4 people don’t try to talk about things outside their comfort zone. it would be nice if someone revived the TEAM concept and brought some decent syndicated alternatives to the morning show and the evening programming, but that seems like wishful thinking now that NHL/NBA/NFL and MLB playoffs are in full swing.

September 10, 2009 10:38 pm

MacLean sure isn’t making many friends these days, and his Balsillie flip flop won’t help…………there was a rumour last year that he wasn’t getting along with Jack Armstrong so maybe that is one of the reasons why they decided to move him to 1:00 on radio

Andrew
Andrew
September 10, 2009 10:44 pm

Maclean was arrogant and hysterical. I’ve also heard him in a bitter argument with Roger Lajoie (sp?) and getting sulky with Armstrong. And I’ve only listened to him maybe a dozen times! Does he get along with anybody?

Fluffy
Fluffy
September 10, 2009 11:48 pm

It was interesting radio for sure. Both guys have inflated ego’s, and are full of hot air. I find them entertaining but not that insightful.

As well, I don’t see it as a flip flop for McLean. While I dont’ see him as an A list general manager, in the event of a Balsile victory, first on the agenda is to mend the fences. I think Mclean is the right guy to do this – especially because he was critical of how Balsile was approaching this. Also, Mclean really want’s to get back into the nhl – and you can’t deny a guy crossing a blurry line to continue his career.

Eggbert
Eggbert
September 11, 2009 12:40 am

Everybody wins,McGown creates hype for his extended 2 hour sportsnet simulcast,and MagLean creates interest in his slot.No publicity is bad publicity.Maglean actually handled it well until he lost his composure at the end.

Al from Burlington
Al from Burlington
September 11, 2009 8:09 am

Both these dudes are windbags who are over exposed in this market. Once again, when McCowan does not like something he cuts off the guest and takes his bat and goes home.

I think the whole Prime Time slot is getting very stale. They need to get new people on instead of interviewing the same people over and over again. I have heard him so much, I can predict what Kypreos is going to say before he does

Brad
September 11, 2009 8:10 am

No more Farraway on the Director’s chair? Thank god. That was the worst piece of radio programming on the fan in years.

The Meatriarchy
September 11, 2009 8:21 am

Agree w Al from Burlington. Maclean did make a good point about McCown often bashing people and then having them on for the last 10 mins to respond.

And McCowns little hissy fit at the end about not having Doug on any more was an example of how powerful he THINKS he is.

Fluffy
Fluffy
September 11, 2009 9:29 am

I agree with Meatriarchy. Bob seems to think he’s untouchable. I guess the ratings will determine his long term fate.

A few years ago Bob was unapologetic for the fact that he didn’t watch sports much anymore. I’m guessing management asked him to not be so public about his apathy. I remember one time a caller asked him a question about the Leafs game and he said something to the effect that he doesn’t watch games anymore, doesn’t care, and has no opinion. That’s a tough sell for a sports radio station. Still, he does drive ratings – and I for one continue to listen. His extreme opinions (and those pompus ads) are so glaringly a transparent attempt to grab ratings but I have to say that the one thing he discuss better than anyone is the business of sports. And in these times that’s as big a story as the games themselves.

September 11, 2009 12:37 pm

That’s true. You don’t listen to Bob to hear him analyze the X’s and O’s. You listen usually for big picture analysis, and as you said, the business of sports. While that may not please some hardcore sports fan, I think you could argue it makes more entertaining radio – and I guess the ratings have shown that over the years.

The Meatriarchy
September 11, 2009 1:03 pm

I like Fluffy because he agrees with me.

September 11, 2009 3:17 pm

I like Daniel because he agrees with me (usually)

September 11, 2009 10:13 pm

Hey, take away Mike Wilner and it’s pretty close!

Eggbert