Will Toronto Raptors fans have patience?

There is no doubt that Toronto Raptors fans are passionate about their team. Even in bad years (most years), attendance is high at the ACC, while their online presence rivals and surpasses almost every other NBA community.

These fans are also quick to defend the Raps against criticism, usually from American news outlets (ESPN picking a 9th place finish, for example). The talk all summer has been mostly optimistic, with great expectations for the coming season.

But, this is nothing new.

Last year, Jermaine O’Neal was supposed to turn the Raptors into a legitimate contender, until the project blew up during another disappointing season. There have been plenty of other reasons for optimism in the past, most ending in failure.

In no way, shape or form and I saying this team will end up like last year’s edition. What I am saying, is that fans have their breaking point. And at that point, enough becomes enough.

That brings us to the 2009-2010 Toronto Raptors.

Outside of the Bosh-Andrea Bargnani-Jose Calderon core, it’s an entirely new team. And with the squad welcoming Hedo Turkoglu, Jarrett Jack, Demar DeRozan, Rasho Nesterovic, Marco Belinelli, Antoine Wright, Reggie Evans and Amir Johnson, the renewed enthusiasm is certainly justified.

My question to fans of the Toronto Raptors is this: How patient will you be with this team?

With so many new bodies, Jay Triano has the tough task of making it all work. How patient will you be with him?

Demar DeRozan is skilled but raw – Will you be frustrated if he struggles for 50 games?

Hedo Turkoglu will face the pressure of his high-profile signing – Will you worry if he struggles out of the gate?

Jose Calderon has yet to prove he can shoulder the starting point guard duties for an entire season – Will you (especially the old T.J. supporters) pine for Jack to start if Jose doesn’t cut it for the first 20 games?

What if Bargnani regresses in the early going? Will fans give up on him, again?

—————————————————————————————————-

I’m not saying fans should or should not do these things. Personally, I’m fairly patient with these things.

All I’m saying is that the Raptors open up with a very difficult stretch of games, with what is basically an entirely new roster.

So will you be patient? And for how long?

-DL

Eggbert
Eggbert
September 10, 2009 6:17 pm

What if the frog in Jack Armstrong’s throat jumps out mid game and eats his face?

Matt
Matt
September 10, 2009 7:13 pm

How patient? It really depends the circumstances the Raptors are in, if they look good on the court eventually the wins will come, but if we want to be a 45+ win team, we have to show it from the beginning…

brothersteve
September 11, 2009 8:26 am

Remember 06-07 and have faith in your GM!

Colangelo is building the first Raptors Dynasty!
(Just not quite there yet, but in 2-3 seasons we’ll see it)

Swat
Swat
September 11, 2009 10:22 am

The Raptors have done nothing shy of any other Toronto based franchise. The Leafs have a huge fanbase, if not the largest in all of the NHL, and when was the last time the were a dominant force. This article speculates that we, as Raptor fans, only like a team when they win, or have the attention span of a 2 year old. The formula will work eventually, and until then, I will always remain a true fan, since game 1.

Vittorio De Zen
September 11, 2009 1:08 pm

I’ll be patient. I’m not expecting this team to do serious damage this year, so whatever. As long as they play hard, I’m okay.

JC
JC
September 11, 2009 9:11 pm

I mentioned this to my friends and I definately think the Raps will start slow out of the gate, but I think they can pick things up at around December. And Demar, I think he will have ups and downs but hopefully he will come in to his own down the stretch and hopefully the playoffs.

G-Licious
G-Licious
April 11, 2010 8:28 pm

The raptors are brutal. I could score on the raptors with my left hand and blind folded. Man step up play some defence and play like it means something you flippin bitches. Do they understand that they are playin to be in the NBA playoff’s. not the WNBA playoff’s. Get a coach that has a set, and will yell at some people rather than pacing up and down the side line wondering why things aren’t working. RUN THE FLOOR!!!!!!!!! DONT STAND AND WATCH THE GAME. fuck pay me 10 million a year and i will go in and play like its the last game of my life, get in peoples faces and actually do something out there. I’d be embarrassed to be on this team, I have been a big fan of the raptors for as long as i can remember. Since vince was on the team and as much as people hate vince, that swagger, edge and mentality that he brought to the court was the reason why they made the playoff’s and were fun to watch. Fire everyone and flippin get some players. keep weems, jack, and calderon, but tell calderon that he’s not allowed to be everyones best friend. he has to get mad at some people for once. turkalou is the worst expensive player i have ever seen. if i had a 20th of his pay i would be a better player in the court then he would be. i’d put money on it. I’ve never seen a team thats this good be this bad. I hope bosh docent sign back with the team to he has a chance to go play basketball and not be a sherpa carrying this team for another 10 years.