Nazem Kadri: Should he Stay or Should He Go Now?

“”It’s not so much what the young guys are doing,” Wilson said before Tuesday night’s 3-2 pre-season shootout win over the Pittsburgh Penguins at the Air Canada Centre. “It’s that the veteran people have responded. They’re the ones who have played really well. I couldn’t say that last year, and we ended up with young people getting elevated roles in our lineup.” National Post

So, the question is….Should he stay or should he go?

What’s the answer Leaf fans?

LeafFan1989
LeafFan1989
September 22, 2009 11:11 pm

He should definitely go. He doesn’t have the strength to compete with high level NHLers and one more year with the Canadian Nation Junior Team will only make him better. Patience is key and besides I would rather see bozsk and stalberg as they are more physically mature along with a nice skill set. Kadri is gonna be a really good player. One more year is good for him and for us.

lt67
lt67
September 22, 2009 11:23 pm

@LeafFan1989….100% correct.

If there is a logjam at centre, maybe Bozak plays some right wing until Kessel arrives? The left side is pretty set too with Poni, Blake and Hagman taking the top 3 slots…not a lot of room for Stalberg unless they put a skill guy on the 4th line. Will be interesting to see how Wilson deals with Exelby/White/Van Ryn for the 6th d spot.

trackback

[…] airline ticket to watch a glorified scrimmage.) With the game-tying goal and this shootout beauty, Kadri is making the case for a roster spot just a few months after being drafted by the […]

W. Koopman
W. Koopman
September 23, 2009 2:24 am

Not so fast. . . yes he will be going, but where? I think the Marlies are the place to be for the youngster. Why waste , or delay, his skills in Juniors? No, keep him close, let him grow and develop in TO.

CD
CD
September 23, 2009 7:31 am

I don’t think that he should stay for the entire season, but I don’t see any problem with him getting up to the first nine games with the big team. That would also be good experience, and wouldn’t kick start his contract either….plus I think he’s earned that taste of the big league with the strong preseason.

Al from Burlington
Al from Burlington
September 23, 2009 8:13 am

The Clash were a great band, I still listen to them all the time. London Calling is one of the great all time rock/punk records. Joe Strummer is the man……

I think it is best to put Nazim back in junior, let him be a leader for the Juniors at the worlds, gain some strength and see you at the ACC next year.

lilgrnmen17
lilgrnmen17
September 23, 2009 8:32 am

Love this kid, but he needs more time to bulk up. He has looked great so far, and he has a great competitive spirit, but I don’t think he is built for an 82 game grind. Let the Leafs training staff get him on a program for a year and he will be ready to step in and be a very effective player next year. I admit, I was one who was skeptical of this pick at the draft, but man I am impressed with this kid, he looks like a real talent. Nice work BB and co.

Matt Roberts
Matt Roberts
September 23, 2009 9:16 am

Send him back to Junior. The Leafs have been guilty of rushing prospects along and I dont want to see the same mistake made again. I know Burke wants playoffs this year but man, at the expense of a PROPER rebuild? I dont like it. He’ll be a great player for us for a long time, let him develop for 1 more year in junior than see where he is at.

Kadri at the WJC this year would do wonders for his confidence.

Big Blue
Big Blue
September 23, 2009 12:13 pm

@ W. Koopman

They won’t send him to the Marlies. I’m not even sure they can, but if they could they wouldn’t. Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe it would burn a year of pro eligibility on his rookie contract and therefore he would be a RFA and then a UFA that much sooner. After all that I’ve seen he looks like he has a ton of talent and would fit right into the NHL as a PP guy and would help out on shootouts. I think the NHL grind would take it’s toll on him if he was playing any significant minutes and significant minutes is what he needs at this stage. Give him one more year in the OHL to dominate and build up some more muscle. Next year he will come into training camp after haveing a full year to prepare to make the jump to the big club. Plus I’d love to watch him kill it in the world Jr’s this year.

Eggbert
Eggbert
September 23, 2009 12:59 pm

Just because a prospect shows true promise and potential, it doesn’t mean we alter his development curve.I hope we are past the point of sending prospects down simply because they aren’t good enough.

Al from Burlington
Al from Burlington
September 23, 2009 2:03 pm

Not sure, but I THINK if he sticks with the Leafs all year while he still has a year of junior eligibility, he becomes a free agent one year earlier. Can anyone confirm? Would it matter to the Leafs?