Sonny Weems Channels His Inner Kanye West

(Note: The previous picture, depicting Kanye West, a banana and a watermelon, has been deemed offensive, and thus removed. I hope this new picture offends only Kanye West…which was my, and Sonny’s, original intention)

Here’s another video on this Thursday morning.

Courtesy of Raptors.com, it’s a funny moment from Toronto Raptors training camp, as newcomer Sonny Weems ends rookie DeMar DeRozan’s media session with a Kanye West imitation. The interview session itself reveals pretty much nothing, so I’d recommend scrolling to the end. Weems seems like a funny guy, and DeMar gets a good laugh out of it.

Eggbert
Eggbert
October 1, 2009 1:00 pm

A few observations:

The dude in the blue striped shirt sounds like BRUNO

I counted 23 “you know’s”

Your stereotypical photo mock up of a black man/watermellon is a new low for this site,I found it pretty offensive and I’m not even black.

dan
dan
October 1, 2009 1:04 pm

Eggbert… I think you’re reading into this one just a slight bit too much

We’re making fun of Kanye here. Nobody else.

Eggbert
Eggbert
October 1, 2009 1:28 pm

I disagree, but let me get back to you after showing it to a few of my black and white friends

Eggbert
Eggbert
October 1, 2009 1:49 pm

Thanks TSM

@Dan: racist depictions of blacks typically include a watermelon in some form

ChuChu
ChuChu
October 1, 2009 1:55 pm

The only way you could have made it more offensive would be to have a picture of Bryan Colangelo in blackface.

Not acceptable.

dan
dan
October 1, 2009 2:11 pm
Reply to  Eggbert

Look – I took it down based on the comments of one person. Clearly, I have no strong opinions on this one way or the other.

I’ll say this – I searched “kanye funny” and posted the first picture I found.

Within the context of the piece, it should be pretty obvious that nothing was racially motivated.

If you choose to take it that way, so be it. If you’re offended, apologies.

mike
mike
October 1, 2009 2:37 pm

oh lordy … we have to enter codes to post now? could you at least make registered users exempt?

the pic was clearly inappropriate given the racist historical association of blacks and watermelons. if Weems had been eating a banana during the interview and Demar had walked by with a watermelon and then it would have been ok.

it should also be clear to anyone with a brain that the content of the post has no racial content whatsoever.

Eggbert
Eggbert
October 1, 2009 3:16 pm

@Mike: I personally didn’t associate the interview with the photo.The Kanye gag in the interview was funny,photo gag, not……..your analogy is a stretch at best

mike
mike
October 1, 2009 4:16 pm

eggbertthe photo gag is funny because Kanye is a douche as well as a gay fish and because there is something ridiculous about him telling the banana that he’s going to let him finish, but it’s also racially insensitive because of the fruits in question. if he had said that oranges are the best of all time then there would be no problem.

we’re agreeing. they shouldn’t have used that picture.

for more pictures, some of which are inappropriate yet funny:

lt67
lt67
October 1, 2009 11:25 pm

@Mike….when i’m logged in, i’m not required to enter the verification code…you do?

Kanye West