Do Maple Leafs Fans Want Toskala To Fail?

Go Jonas Gustavsson is hurt. Joey McDonald is up and well, Vesa Toskala is The Man again… at least for now. I heard, I believe it was Mike Brophy, say today that he thinks the Maple Leafs fans actually are hoping that Toskala fails. If my ears didn’t deceive me that had to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. Why would we want Toskala to fail? Right now, Toskala is the best we got. Gustavsson has never played at this level before. At least with Vesa we have a portion of his career where he played as an NHL starting goalie. Hell, if he played half as well last year as he did the year before the Maple Leafs may have made the playoffs last year. So while I think many of us are intrigued by what Jonas may be able to do, I think we are going to need him to stand on his head if we are going to be anywhere near a playoff team. The only way I see that changing is if either McDonald is the next coming of Johnny Bower or if Brian Burke pulls the rabbit out of the hat. The facts remain, Toskala is going to make 4m this year. This is the last year in his deal. So if Brian Burke can deal Toskala right now, save the 4m and have a competent goalie in McDonald or someone else…then why not try to get something for Toskala… The question is what if anything Burke could get for Toskala? I mean does it matter what Ferguson gave up for him????? Should what we are willing to take back be affected by what 2 GM’s ago paid for him??? I think not. As others have said, Burke didn’t bring McDonald in to play in the minors. He is here to spell Jonas.

It will be interesting to see how Toskala plays against the high flying Penguins on Saturday night. It is not totally incomprehensible that the Leafs could lose both of their next games. I am glad I am going to be away in the event that happens. 0-4 and 1 (which may as well be 0-5) could be enough to really set panic in. I will be in New York on Monday, curious to see where and how the Leafs do there.

@yyzsportsmedia

Wags
Wags
October 9, 2009 1:14 am

I don’t want Toskala to fail, but I’m convinced he will. He looks completely lost. So, if he’s going to (which I think he will), I want him to fail as spectacularly as he can, and fast.
I want good goaltending as fast as possible. I don’t care who provides it.

The Meatriarchy
October 9, 2009 8:06 am

Wags you took the words right out of my mouth. As a fan I don’t mind some players flaming out quickly – it makes GM decisions easy. I hate the endless mediocrity and the false hope that a player can turn it around next game.

I don’t want Toskala to fail I want him to be a top 5 goalie in the league or to be long gone.

Al from Burlington
Al from Burlington
October 9, 2009 9:26 am

The Leafs will have to live or die this year with Toskala.

They are paying him $4Million in a contract year, so they are not likely to get any takers in a trade.

The bottom line is the pressure is squarely on his shoulders to perform. I hope he succeeds, but the facts are his NHL stats do not look to favourable. In 234 comming into this season he has a respectable 120/70 won lost record but his .905 save percentage is not what you need from a top NHL goalie.

Lets hope the team gels, and the Leafs are not nearly as reliant on the goaltending to win.

Gary
Gary
October 9, 2009 7:25 pm

To be honest, its you writers that want him to fail. Leaf fans want to win…Period. No matter who is in goal. Its the media, fueled by people like you who make this an issue, and its an issue only because of you and the media. If everyone kept quiet in the media following a leaf loss, then that would percolate down to the fans. But it doesn’t and the reason: writers like you and the media.

My prediction: Toskala wins against Pittsburg and Colorado; lose to NYR in O.T or shoot-out.

He’ll be fine. And so will the leafs. But we’ll always have writers like you and the Toronto media to take a small problem and hold it under the microscope. 3 games is 79 games less than a full season. RELAX. And before you declare a state of emergency with the leafs, lets play 15-20 games.

Hey, im not telling you anything you don’t already know.

Kevin
Kevin
October 10, 2009 11:00 pm

Well here it is post game vs. the Pens and Toskala was not even adequate in a merciful 5-2 Leaf loss. Toskala looks like he has more of a deathwish than Michael Ignatieff, and I could tell in his pre-game video that his confidence is in the dumper right now. He was rocked for seven goals late in the pre-season and he wasn’t any closer to snapping out of it tonight.

This Leaf team is weaker than the one that started last season. There is no scoring no intensity, and poor team defence. Toskala is beginning to look like the next Raycroft. This team is about as far from fine as any team could possibly be. This team is probably not going to win until November. Was Brian Burke overrated as saviour? Does Ron Wilson know what he’s doing as Toronto’s coach?

There are way more questions than answers, but my ability to find new ways to remain a Leaf fan is being severely challenged right now.

leaf killa
leaf killa
October 14, 2009 1:41 pm

the leafs will fail! hahaha! 0-5-1 so far! and kessel isn’t capable of putting a team on his shoulders! Sorry, but you lost on that deal suckaz!