Is Bob Mccown Getting Greedy?

Word on the street is that Bob Mccown, who apparently likes to be bothered while at dinner at Strato Restauarant on avenue road Toronto, may be getting greedy when it comes to his fees for the Primetime coverage on Sportsnet.

We are told that Mccown may have asked for too much money and PTS may get yanked off Sportsnet

lt67
lt67
October 13, 2009 5:27 pm

This would be a significant blow to The Fan. I obviously don’t know the details but – perhaps this is simply the bargaining process underway. If Bob truly sticks to demands that are out of the Fan’s budget – this would really hurt the Fan and may point to Bob having a more lucritive alternative.

October 13, 2009 5:33 pm

I think TSM is saying that McCown might be pulled off Sportsnet, not that he might be pulled off The Fan.

Julian
Julian
October 13, 2009 5:41 pm

I think he’s safe as you could possibly be at the Fan (strangely, some very mediocre shows seem to be just fine as well). But the nerve of the guy to ask for 40 or 50 grand or whatever more knowing that Sportsnet would have to lay somebody off to give Moneybags what he wants. But that’s who he is. Ask anybody.

mike
mike
October 13, 2009 5:43 pm

who cares. it’s a radio show. anyone who would have watched it will just turn on the radio or tune in online.

the fewer ties between PTS and Sportsnet the better, in my opinion. the radio show is getting the short end of the talent stick in that trade.

Eggbert
Eggbert
October 13, 2009 5:50 pm

The paycheque comes from the same place anyway, he’s using his leverage,more power to him!

Julian
Julian
October 13, 2009 6:15 pm

Thanks, Gordon Gecko – I mean Eggbert.

Not too many in this market are being greedy right now. You take what you can.

October 13, 2009 6:16 pm

It’s hard to believe that McCown (via Kirke) was able to convince Nelson Millman to give him the television simulcast rights to his show

As someone already mentioned, it would be nice to see the relationship between Sportsnet and PTS come to an end……………but not because of McCown’s greed but because it would improve the show

October 13, 2009 6:52 pm

Who are we to judge if he’s being greedy or not? Maybe he’s getting ripped off for all we know. I know I certainly want to get as much as I can for the work I do. This rumour doesn’t somehow validate the idea that he’s a jerk.

Eggbert
Eggbert
October 13, 2009 7:18 pm

@Julian: Thanks for the reality check, this radio stuff sure is complicated 😉

Shamir
October 13, 2009 9:00 pm

What’s your source? Word on the street? Hmmm…..not sure if I’m buying.

Nothing wrong at all with Bobcat asking for more. Sportsnet is basically miling PTS for all that it’s worth. Why not ask for more??

October 14, 2009 2:51 am

If Prime Time stops being shown on Sportsnet, I hope they bring back Elliotte Friedman as rotating guest host.

lister
lister
October 14, 2009 12:37 pm

I hope PTS stays on Sportsnet. I record 5-7pm to watch later (no commercials!) as listening on radio is less convenient. Besides I like watching them in studio, sometimes it’s quite entertaining.

For non-essential goods and services, get whatever the market will bear…

October 14, 2009 1:29 pm

In the Globe today it says that Prime Time will continue to be on Sportsnet.