When Should Maple Leafs Fan Be “Worried” ?

7 games does not a season make. 7 games may not even be enough for a trend. So Leaf fans, when does it? I mean at what point to your start to worry, or dare I say panic? Clearly the guru’s have told us now is not the right time, so when is the right time?

It seems to me that this week off should be exactly what the doctor ordered. A week of good hard practices where all the things the coaching staff need to work on can be addressed.

If the Leafs don’t show up in their first game back, then I think it’s time to be concerned. If they don’t have the jump, the fight in their game and just plainly get smoked then it would certainly seem to suggest that there is something amiss here with the Leafs.

That is not to suggest that win is a must in the next game. What is necessary is effort from the Leafs. Effort that hasn’t been there in the last several games. Effort that means an attempt to be first to the puck, to win the battles and compete. If that isn’t the case in the next couple of games then I think it is time to be very worried. If those things aren’t present then the coaching staff simply can’t reach this group.

Thoughts?

@yyzsportsmedia

LT67
LT67
October 21, 2009 7:16 am

My 1st marker is game 10. if they don’t show signs of life, player changes are needed. My marker for the coach would be game 20.

Anyone miss Mats, Kubina, Antro or Moore? 🙂

theothervatican
October 21, 2009 9:08 am

“Anyone miss Mats, Kubina, Antro or Moore?”

No really. If when they were playing you said “You can exchange em for Kessel, Beachemin, Kadri and Stalberg” aka: a future, I’d have said thankyouverymuch.

As for panicking, the whole team is looking over their shoulder at the keeper. If the Monster can give us a good few games, we’ll settle down. I think it’ll be a stinker in Vancouver with Joey Mac.
Toskala and Blake buried by Christmas
Jean-Sebastian Giguere by early Jan

lt67
lt67
October 21, 2009 12:17 pm

@theothervatican….hahaha…you must have missed the smiley face after my comment. Geesh.

……still not a fan of bringing in JSG….$6M next season is too much. If he was a franchise player/goalie….fine but he’s not even starting in Anaheim. Now, if the Ducks waived him and we could pick him up for $3M…I could warm up to the idea.

theothervatican
October 21, 2009 1:14 pm

Why is 6 too much if he works? Tosk is 4 and he ain’t. Blake is 4 and he doesn’t either. Bury em both, get JSG back with Allaire to teach Gustavsson and save 2 mil in cap (which we can use with the rest of our space to actually find some people who want to play for the team)

October 21, 2009 1:18 pm

Losing the first 7 games out of an 82 game sched is certainly enough for a trend.

Nealio
Nealio
October 21, 2009 10:32 pm

Leafs will finish 6th overall in the Eastern Conference, you heard it here first baby.

lt67
lt67
October 22, 2009 12:09 am

@theothervatican…I think you answered your own question. Why would you want to follow the same pattern as previous GMs have with Tosk and Blake? In today’s NHL, the goalie is likely the most important position – like a starting pitcher in baseball. But i’m simply saying i don’t think I’d give JSG Luongo / franchise player money. Your counter point might be “who cares – we can burry him in the minors next year if he doesnt work out”…just not sure how much of that game you can play.