Has Mike Toth Been Let Go From Sportsnet?

William Houston had it first on his blog so give credit to the maven. Word is on the street, and multiple sources are telling TSM at this hour that Mike Toth has been advised that his services are no longer needed by the folks at Sportsnet. Toth wasn’t on the Fan 590’s Bullpen with Mike Hogan this am. Sources are telling TSM that Toth is gone from Sportsnet and what that means exactly for his duties for the Fan 590 has yet to be decided.

Let’s be clear, I am not a Mike Toth fan. I don’t think he is very good at what he does. That’s just one guy’s opinion, no more valuable than the other. Having said that, I feel for Mr. Toth today. He clearly enjoys what he does and is passionate about it. More importantly, time are tough out there and he does have a family. So in the pre-holiday spirit I offer Toth the best of luck in securing another job- perhaps in another market 🙂

More as we hear more.

@yyzsportsmedia

Coach
Coach
October 27, 2009 3:45 pm

good riddance! hopefully mike hogan is next…he’s just as useless.

Eggbert
Eggbert
October 27, 2009 4:34 pm

g’bye Sportsnet, hello Leafstv!

dsscpu
dsscpu
October 27, 2009 5:38 pm

what is the url to William Houston blog?

Mike
Mike
October 27, 2009 5:48 pm

Good riddance to Toth is right. Now Sportsnet only has about a dozen more useless personalities to get rid of.

William Houston can be found at http://www.truthandrumours.net/ and some of his posts are also on McCown’s site http://www.fadoo.ca

furcifer
October 27, 2009 5:59 pm

This was confirmed by a Sportsnet employee on PPP.

Eggbert
Eggbert
October 27, 2009 6:37 pm

@Dsscpu

Here’s the link, he writes great suff

October 27, 2009 7:58 pm

Any word if he’s still on The Fan?

julian
julian
October 27, 2009 8:35 pm

Not making light of the situation (I detested listening to Toth but feel bad for anyone losing a job who has a family, but he made good money doing a fun job for 15 years in major markets. He’s yesterday’s news and he’s awful on the radio), BUT, the fact no one is quite sure whether he’s still on the radio station or radio shows tells you everything you need to know about the indifference and apathy people have to anything 590 does before HockeyCentral comes on at 12 noon. There’s no other way to look at it.

Brawley
Brawley
October 27, 2009 10:20 pm

So Mike Toth is gone, He was lousy to listen to anyway wether on TV or the radio. Wouldn’t mind seeing a few more sport reporters gone from the T.O. market starting with Lance Brown.

Scotty G.
Scotty G.
October 27, 2009 11:49 pm

Toth is terrible sports broadcaster. McCown told me in MTL that Toth would never host PTS again b/c of so much negative fan feedback. Anyone remember Toth’s joke that “BobCat went to Europe to call soccer matches”? Funny one Toth. Another time Toth read poetry on PTS. Fucking irrelevant poetry. Even the mumbling Jim Kelley made fun of Toth upon McCown’s return. What a buffoon.

The less Toth the better. Rod Black also for that matter… The Bullpen is more than enough Toth.

Eggbert
Eggbert
October 28, 2009 1:02 am

Wow,either McCown is an asshole or you’re a liar Scotty G, and I’m not calling you a liar…..I work with a few complete pricks, but I sure don’t piss on them to the general public

October 28, 2009 1:24 am

I have not been shy about my feelings about Toth……….however if he is gone from 590 I hope it was done because it was the right thing to do and not just to cut costs…………if they don’t replace him then we can safely say it is money related……………I don’t mind Hogan as much as many others on this site do but his show would be much better if he had a solid co-host than if he was asked to do it solo

trackback

[…] Howarth was just on the Bullpen with Mike Hogan (where’d the Tother go? Could it be??) and was asked what Beeston’s appointment means for Cito. The audio’s not up yet, so I […]

Jeff
Jeff
October 28, 2009 12:24 pm

TheFan really needs to get back with TSN, they where there more successful when Hogan had people like Landsberg and co co hosting with him. I would not mind a rotating host, but the sportsnet people are just cookie cutter pretty people, so there really is no knowledge there.

All I hope is that they do not being in “The Fabulous Sports Babe”

Roy Green
October 28, 2009 5:45 pm

Hallelujah. I hope it means he’s off 590, too. He’s the worst of some of the least-winning sportscasters in the biz today.
I used to think Hogan was the worst until I heard Toth and Roger LaJoie. Now, I like Hogan in the morning but I don’t like him on the Argos broacast. Cant’ understand why Pete Martin can’t do the play-by-play.
One more thing … does anyone on 590 do what used to be know as ‘air-checks’ of their shows? At least once a week you listen to the tape of your newscast/interview.
On the FAN, too often, everyone’s talking at once.

Scotty G.
Scotty G.
October 28, 2009 8:57 pm

Eggbert,
I’m certainly not lying. That would seem rather silly no?
McCown did not say that Toth would not be back on PTS on air. I was walking back to his hotel and I asked about Toth. He didn’t bash him or call into question his broadcasting ability (I did that), he simply indicated Toth would not be on PTS due to “significant negative fan reaction”. I don’t think it was an asshole move, or unreasonable. I was more that satisfied with the news.

Eggbert are you suggesting that it is unprofessional for one host to slag another? You consider it an asshole move?
Well Toth did just that to Mike Wilner during a call in hour while still on PTS…

Here is that story:

Here is Wilner’s response: http://blog.rogersbroadcasting.com/mikewilner/2008/06/11/take-on-me/

It may be another reason Toth was not asked to guest host PTS anymore.

Mike
Mike
October 29, 2009 7:49 am

I definitely think the Wilner incident contributed to Toth not being on PTS anymore. Come to think of it, that was the last week that he hosted, wasn’t it? Since then it’s been Faulds, Blair or one of the co-hosts.

And to think that just a few years ago there were stories about how Toth was being groomed to take over PTS once McCown’s final contract is up. Wonder who they have waiting in the wings now?

bills33
bills33
October 29, 2009 1:48 pm

I’ll miss Mike Toth. He was original and definately one of the best interviewers in the business. What can I say, I like rebels. I like that he said what he thought and doesn’t have his head up the a$$ of all the network guys. (can you say McCown?) I am sorry if he lost his job because he pissed people off or wasn’t PC enough. I hope he stays at the Fan or pops up somewhere else. And according the the paper a few weeks ago, the ratings for the Bullpen are the highest they have ever been, so you guys might not like Toth, but a lot of people obviously do.

Jerry
Jerry
November 19, 2009 10:00 am

Hopefully Sean McCormick is next!!

james
james
November 21, 2009 9:27 am

i do find toth un bearable as well as rog millard but at the end of the day i hope hes able to get another job to support his family,then again he could practice being a stay at home dad.

joe e
joe e
November 24, 2009 1:20 pm

I curse nelson millman. He got rid of my two favourites. Norm Rumack and Mike Toth. I hope it comes back to bite you moeman. I know my listening of the FAN has been reduced about 50%

Jim C
Jim C
November 26, 2009 10:40 am

Good riddance..hope Mike Wilner is next on the chopping block.