Time For Burke To Tie A Can To Jason Blake

Last night’s game with the Ducks was a breakout for many Maple Leaf players. Hagman and Kaberle come to mind as obvious choices. Clearly the monster allowed the Buds to relax a little enroute to 11 power plays. It is not going to be easy if they have to rely on 11 powerplays every night to win a game. I am pretty sure that the Maple Leafs out of the first period were just under 10 minutes in time with the man advantage.

So with a few guys appearing, at least for night to get their game on, there is one guy who just clearly is out of it. His play, for lack of a better word, sucks. That would be none other than whipping boy Jason Blake. Forget for a small second the amount of cash he is earning. Forget the number of years he is playing and just look at the stats through the first several games. Through 9 games he has 1 goal, 2 assists, he is a -7 with 6 penalty minutes and 31 shots on net. At this pace he should be thanking everyone alive if he gets close to 20 goals this year let alone the 25 he had last year. It has become more and more apparent that the guy simply can’t play. He looked totally lost and disinterested throughout the entire game last night. Talk about a guy destined to play for the Marlies right now. I can’t for the life of me understand why Burke hasn’t followed through on his promise to bury guys who aren’t performing irrespective of their contract. Here is a guy who makes big bucks for no, not little, no bang. There has to be someone down on the farm who can produce as well as he can with a small percentage of the salary cap hit.

As demoralizing as it can be for a team to have a goalie let in easy shot after easy shot, it has to be equally as troubling to see a guy as untalented as Blake is get 12-16 minutes per game. Hell Luke Schenn has seen his ice time rocked back under 10 minutes and this clown is nearly averaging 15? Schenn’s a rookie. Enough is enough Brian, swallow hard, bite the bullet and bury JFJ’s wonder boy. Perhaps, not likely you can do something with him on re-entry waivers. Blake is totally ineffective offensively. He is a liability defensively. And to top it off he makes a lot of money.

All of those things to me scream of demotion. So far, in this respect Burke has yet to walk the walk. He has said he would do it. We are just waiting for him to do it. Let’s hope that Blake is the first to go, setting an example of the others who are out there floating.

@yyzsportsmedia

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 17
  • comment-avatar

Not a fan of Blake, but thought he was one of their best players on Saturday, even though that was only one game.

I’d be happy if he was sent down though, most definitely.

• comment-avatar
    holden_cox 12 years ago

The nickname “THE MONSTER” has just officially got old riiiiight…. now.

• comment-avatar

Blake has cancer, of course he will look sick, kinda low

Benjamin 12 years ago

I don’t know why everyone hates Blake so much. I think he plays with a lot of heart and speed. I don’t see what you are talking about at all – I think he is actually playing well this year.

But that’s just me.

Eggbert 12 years ago

HA HA, I get it, Blake has cancer so he’s like the “sick kid”

keep rolling out the classy jokes guys, good GAWD

Jeff:

Eggbert 12 years ago

TSM,

Yes,it is from his Islander days, but what was funny then,aint funny now…….did that thought not even cross your mind? WOW, of all the angles to poke fun at Blake, and there are many……maybe it best you stick to posting camel toe photos 😉

• comment-avatar

Yeah, I’m with Eggbert on this one. The picture may have been before he had cancer, but you’re reposting it now after his cancer is well known.

• comment-avatar

Although I’m sure you didn’t mean it like that.

Benjamin 12 years ago

I think Blake saw this post and got pissed. He’s proving you really wrong tonight. Having a GREAT game.

TSM,

Your loosing the battle on this one, it does not matter when he got cancer, he has it, the post was made yesterday…GEEZ, Im with Eggbert and Daniel.

• comment-avatar

No battle Jeff. I can tell you that Blake’s health never even entered my mind when I chose the photo- shame on me.

• comment-avatar

What makes it worse is that his neighbor, 13 years old, just died this weekend from the H1N1

Watson 12 years ago

I’ve never really had the need to post here, put this may be one of the most heartless articles on here.

I hope your motovation was what you say it was, otherwise…

Foose 12 years ago

As others above have stated, not your best moment

• comment-avatar

I will say it one last and final time- If I wanted to make fun of Blake’s illness I would have come out and said it- I have had, as many of you know from reading this site over the last 18 months, calling it like I see it. I wouldn’t hide behind an image. It’s not who I am, or what this site is about.

Clearly I have offended some of you- so I will say I am sorry you feel that way.

• comment-avatar

“It was just a funny photo from his ISLANDERS days- click the link- it’s from his pre-cancer days…geez”

That quote made things worse, instead of saying “sorry” you give a virtual roll of the eyes, which lead to the flood of responses. May want to take a little more time with the responses and make them seem less cold and heartless.