Argos Fire Andrus

The Toronto Argonauts have fired 3-15, 1st year Head Coach Bart Andrus.

Many in the media can honestly say “I told you so”…as there were lots of scratching heads when the X-Titans assistant coach was hired.

I didn’t watch as much CFL football this years as I have in the past but all accounts were that this team went backwards and made matters worse when they alienated stars such as Arland Bruce III and Byron Parker.

I know Adam Rita has done a lot in this league over the years but one has to believe his days are numbered as well.  Perhaps he can stay on as an advisor but they need someone to bring in talent.  I don’t think they’ve had a star Quarterback (correct me if I’m wrong) since Doug Flutie!

Anyway, all the best to Bart in his future endeavours…Let’s hope Bob Nicholson starts to make some solid moves with this organization.  I know it’s the CFL but…it can be a fun game to watch if you have a decent team.

LT

Eggbert
Eggbert
December 14, 2009 3:36 pm

@LT: Not even being aware that Damon Allen quarterbacked the Argos for more than half this current decade, winning a Grey Cup and MVP in 2004, makes me wonder why you decided to write on this subject.

lt67
lt67
December 14, 2009 3:43 pm

OMG…you are right Eggbert…forgot about #9. All that said; I am disappointed with what has gone on with the double blue over the past couple of seasons.

Fluffy
Fluffy
December 14, 2009 3:56 pm

I officially nominate Eggbert as the TSM ombudsman. ESPN.com has one so why shouldn’t we. Way to keep these writers in check buddy.

Al from Burlington
Al from Burlington
December 14, 2009 4:23 pm

It is imperative that Rita and Mohns are also kicked out.

Andrus had to go, but it was a mistake by management to hire him in the first place with no CFL coaching history and then not giving him good enough players to compete.

The Argos better get a GM and staff who understand the CFL game and have fresh ideas to build a competitive team this off season or fan support and interest will continue to plunge and be difficult to recover.

What about Chris Schultz in some sort of role. The dude knows football.

Julian
Julian
December 14, 2009 4:46 pm

I loved hearing Chris Schultz and Mike Hogan criticize Jon Gruden for how he comments on a football game. They mocked him and said he needs to do more in-depth analysis of plays. These nerds don’t get that it won’t move the needle by doing that. Hogan is all stats, no opinion, no personality, and Schultz breaks it down way too much compared to Matt Dunigan and Jock Climie. He’s the wet blanket on that TSN team. I love football, but I can handle three or four minutes from Hogan and Schultz, which is a shame.

Eggbert
Eggbert
December 14, 2009 5:25 pm

@Fluffy: I’m not interested.I just find it the hypocritical to be slamming beat writers for the very same issues that the “slammers” habitually make themselves.LT67 rarely fits this profile, and clearly is man enough to own up to any errors of omission instead of the typical turtling I’ve seen by some others when confronted by either me or the intended targets.

December 14, 2009 6:42 pm

Given that Julian has said over and over again that the 9:00 to noon show on 590 is garbage and is painful to listen to, does it make any sense that he appears to listen to it on a regular basis??

julian
julian
December 14, 2009 8:48 pm

My friend Mike S: Not biting on that one. I was in the drive-thru at Starbucks. Flipped over at 905, and that’s the conversation. Hogan and Schultz suggesting they know more about football and broadcasting than Jon Gruden.

Do you enjoy the show? I don’t have satellite radio and 550 was in a commercial break. WGR’s programming is far superior. Much better personalities.

December 15, 2009 11:38 am

My apologies Julian……….you seem to regularly give examples of dumb things on that show so I just assumed that you listen to it often.

I am not a big fan of Colin Cowherd so I listen to Hogan almost by default………….it is not a very good show but I don’t think it is as bad as you say…………..I like many of the regular guests (Lee Hamilton, Jim Lang, Kevin Allen, Kevin Paul Dupont, Matthew Barnaby, etc)…………yes it is true that they have Berger and Wilner on way too much…………yes it is true that Chris Schultz is dry and not very entertaining at all………..yes it is true that an upgrade on Hogan would probably be a good idea………..but if they put a decent co-host with him and improved the guests a bit the show would be better……….I enjoyed the show much more when they used to have a different TSN personality each day (Duthie, Dutchyshen, Rauter, etc)…………when they switched to Sportsnet personalities I didn’t like the show as much but it was better than it is now

Please give me your thoughts on who they should have in that timeslot………….I always enjoy reading other people’s opinions on sports radio in this city