A Real Hockey Radio Beat Reporter

(I know NESN is a tv network but Edwards happened to be on the radio)

I was in the car today listening to the fan 590 enroute to physio for my rehabbing knee when Jack Armstrong started an interview with Jack Edwards who covers the Boston Bruins for NESN.

I’m not sure if anyone else out there caught the interview, but it was fantastic! It was everything we don’t get from Howard Berger or jolly Jonas siegel.

Edwards (is he the same guy who used to be on ESPN?) was informative, entertaining, opinionated yet respectful and certainly didn’t dump all over the Bruins fans. He called out there management for missing the boat to make a big trade two or three weeks ago, but didn’t sound like a raving lunatic in doing so.

Edwards comes across as Bruins fan but without calling the players by their nicknames, he didn’t have a love in with the hosts most importantly he sounded professional. He also didn’t sound like he had am agenda.

As I listened to Edwards I couldn’t help but be jealous that our radio stations don’t have a guy like this on to talk as the guy who lives, eats and breathes with the club.

Maybe one day we will, for now one can only hope.

I tried to find a link or clip but the fan didn’t have one. If anyone does send it along.

@yyzsportsmedia

February 4, 2010 6:23 am

Corrections:

1) Jack Edwards does not cover the Bruine for NESN. He is the play-by-play man for the Bruins on NESN

2) The interview today was done by Millard & MacLean at 1:30, not by Jack Armstrong on The Game Plan

Edwards was interesting to listen to today…………he had some interesting insight into the Bruins’ recent struggles…………..but anyone who has heard him do play-by-play knows that he is an incredible homer, almost to the point of embarrassment

I am a big Bruins fan but there is nothing I dislike more than listening to a homer………….anyone who has ever heard Bowen & Ralph on Leafs radio broadcasts complaining about the refs knows what I mean

Ged
Ged
February 4, 2010 9:41 am

I caught part of the Mclean interview (Millard is usually a non-factor in these since McLean is such a…loudmouth. That’s not the word I want, but…his discussion manners are terrible lol) when I got home last night and couldn’t remember where he’s from when they flashed his picture up on the tv. I know, I know, that didn’t help.

Anyways, I don’t mind the homers so much honestly. And it raises a couple points: 1) do you expect that the play by play guys for a city based network, who cover the same teams night in and night out should be impartial? I think even with the best intentions to remain impartial, you will end up being a homer after covering the same team over and over again. I don’t, for instance, watch many YES Yankee games, but there’s another network that’s geared towards a team, has a high % of its viewers/listeners rooting for that same team…why in that sense would you strive to be impartial?

I like Bowen for the most part. He never says anything completely out of line – even about the refs – and once in awhile he makes me laugh. But him (them) being a homer doesn’t bother me in the least. It is, after all, the same point of view I have.

CD
CD
February 4, 2010 12:09 pm

I think it makes 0 sense for the play-by-play guys from their home market to not be biased towards their team.

The goal is to entertain the fans of the market they are in and make it exciting to listen to, and chances are the best way to do that is to be at least slightly impartial. If there are examples of impartial ones I’d like to hear it, but off the top can’t think of any that I know. Rick Jeanneret in Buffalo is a homer and entertaining to listen to…that Yankees guy (sorry name is drawing a blank) is a homer and loved in NY…and to me on the Leaf broadcasts I like Bowen and Ralph’s Toronto support.

February 4, 2010 1:02 pm

There is a big difference between being biased towards the home team and being a blatant homer………….I am not asking the home town broadcasters to be impartial………….when Bowen is on TV he is fine…………but when he is on radio with Ralph they sometimes go over the line……….for example, when the Leafs are playing the Rangers and they insinuate that the reason why the Leafs were given a penalty is because the referee is from New York, that is going a bit too far

CD
CD
February 4, 2010 1:15 pm

Mike S….fair enough…that makes sense and is a good point.

Ged
Ged
February 4, 2010 4:14 pm

Don’t listen to Bowen and co. on the radio at all…but yes, insinuating that a penalty was incurred because the ref is from a certain area and therefore rooting for the other team is going too far.

Good call in that sense.