Doug Gilmour Talks Concussions

So many of you have emailed me about this that I thought I had better put it up. Doug Gilmour was on with Greg Brady today who was flying solo on the Bill Watters show. Brady was a tad bit fired up on the hockey and headshots things. In any event Gilmour who is usually a lousy interview in my opinion was beyond good especially when he talked about violence in the game. Certainly worth a listen.

[podcast]https://torontosportsmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/doug_gilmour_03_18_10.mp3[/podcast]

Both drive home shows today took on Colin Campbell and the NHL on the hitting gate. Jim Kelley joined Mccown early on and their take was a failure at the top of the NHL to deal with the issue. Kelley talked about how someone(s) above Campbell was pulling strings and Kelley thought that Colin was either going to quit or get fired over this issue. The Fan 590 doesn’t have the Kelley audio up, however I thought Kelley was good on this point.

Up the dial, Brady went postal on the issue. Imploring that the execs in the game were ruining the game. On a few separate occasions calling for heads on platters. 640 Toronto doesn’t allow for all segments to be downloaded, however I suggest you take a listen in here for all the Brady stuff- it’s certainly entertaining, I’ll leave whether or not you think it’s accurate up to you. I will say this, if you are going to fly solo, you may as well come out firing like he did today. The best solo show he has ever had.

Speaking of good, did anyone hear Don Landry sign off on the big early this am, it was pretty funny. He was talking about the Texas Rangers manager, Ron Washington, the guy who tested positive for cocaine last year at the ripe old age of 57. Landry was really funny saying how, Washington had never done drugs before in his life and at 57 woke up and decided to try cocaine. The best part is that Washington came out tonight and admitted to smoking dope years ago in addition to popping a few pills. What’s next, he’s going to claim he was a Vietnam Vet?

Does anyone think I am nuts on this, but why do morning radio shows end at 9:00? No seriously. I drive my kids to school. I drop them at 845-850. I don’t really get into my car much before 8:30. Now, I understand tons of people drive a hell of a lot earlier than I do. However, based on the number of people dressed i work attire I see dropping their kids off with me in addition to the amount of traffic I see in the city heading downtown when I am, why not extend the morning drive to 10 am? Thoughts?

Al from Burlington
Al from Burlington
March 19, 2010 10:14 am

I think the problem would be solved if at least in the case of The Fan, they had stronger programming from 9:00 until 12:00. Surley there must be some other “Bob McCowan” type guy out there that could handle this spot.

julian
julian
March 19, 2010 11:28 am

I don’t doubt 590 is itching to move Hogan on out. His boring act never changes, but you have to replace him and replace him cheaply. But replacing him on Argos games wouldn’t be difficult. He wouldn’t be missed. But again, I reiterate, Rogers/FAN are going to pinch pennies for the foreseeable future and that includes even McCown whenever his contract is up again. He’ll be fortunate to work for 75 percent of what he gets now. Let’s say, the station gives him 750 thousand now, they’ll give him a take it/leave it 500 thousand/year offer. There’s no other way around that.

March 19, 2010 3:32 pm

Yeah, not sure it’d be smart to cut back on McCown’s salary. His ratings are still huge, and he’s the only quality guy left there, pretty much. Not sure I’d want to give him any reason to explore his options.

The Fan has already cut back with Toth and Rumack… I’m not sure how much they made, not a lot I guess, but probably not totally insignificant.

Maybe they could save some money if they put on a compelling host from, say, 10 – 2. Must be a cheaper option than Hogan, Toth, plus all the guys from HC at noon (might be better too, if it’s the right host). Maybe different HC guys drop in every day instead of actually hosting? I dunno..

Julian
Julian
March 19, 2010 4:41 pm

If McCown was putting up a 15 share, you guys would be right. His only benefit may be no one else can afford him. If I’m an FM station, and I can switch to a talk format, I’d sign him up in a second.

But if you think they can give him more money, for putting up 8 and 9 shares, you’re wrong. They’ll ask him to take a significant cut, and if he has leverage, he may not have to. If there’s nowhere else to go, he can’t do anything. He’ll suck it up and take it.

Don’t forget, he’s probably signed until he’s 62 or 63. I think he’s 58 right now? I mean, is he going to get “better” and “more popular” in his 60s? TSM has posted before about how his 18-34 numbers have been sawed off dramatically. It’s been a dead heat at times with the Watters Show.

But I agree, he’s their most valuable property by far. I’m not saying they want to lose him.

March 19, 2010 5:19 pm

McCown has a lot of leverage if he wants to use it, and he’s got a very good agent in Kirke…………it’s not just a local radio show getting a 9 share…………..his show gets decent television ratings………..it is syndicated on stations all across Canada………..it is now available on satellite radio……………and the podcast is one of the most popular on itunes

It will be interesting to see what happens when his current contract expires

Julian
Julian
March 19, 2010 6:03 pm

I give your that, Mike. The TV factor is relevant. I don’t think satellite radio matters. If the satellite radio biz is still functioning in 3 years, I’ll be shocked. They are hemorrhaging money. On both sides of the border.

But I give you this also, there’s no loyalty with the new Rogers folks. None. McCown also has shopped himself around before in the last decade or show to use the leverage against 590.

At some point, it’ll be a diminishing asset. Just a question of when, and though I do listen to both Watters and McCown, I am well aware that Watters can’t win that fight. But in 4-5 years, could Brady and somebody else. Can’t say yes, but wouldn’t say it’s impossible.