Are Toronto Maple Leaf Fans Idiots

So, it’s my birthday, so allow me a little bit of leeway this am okay. I am driving to work this morning, the sun is out, my kids woke me up early…Life is good. Mike Hogan is on the radio doing his bullpen thing….Life is good. The topic, understandably, is Ron Wilson, given the Steve Simmons article on Tomas Kaberle. Life, is good.

Then some guy calls in, Ron or maybe Richard, I don’t really member. The gist of the call was:

1. Brian Burke and Ron Wilson aren’t likeable
2. Ron Wilson wasn’t a good player ergo he can’t be a good coach
3. The Leafs won’t ever be good until they are owned by one person because MLSE doesn’t care about winning because every seat is full.

PLEASE….Can we stop this moronic talk about MLSE. This is, perhaps the dumbest argument the Leaf haters and guys named Watters can make. Look, first of all every ticket isn’t always sold. Do they make lots of money on the Leafs? YES. Does that mean they don’t want to win?????? Come on. The guys at the top may not know how to win, they have made huge blunders in the past, but calling into question their desire to win????? That’s sheer and utter stupidity. You don’t think the powers that be have HUGE egos? They want nothing more than to be the guys who did bring a cup here. Hell, they all probably think they will be guaranteed immortality if they do win. Even more, if they were owned by 1 person, do you think that one person wouldn’t also be motivated by $???????????? Stop making these stupid comments, you look like idiots when you make them!

With regards to Ron Wilson, since when did ones ability as a player have anything to do with their ability to coach? That guy Gretzky must have been a pretty shitty player given the way he coached. As for their like-ability, who the hell cares. The Red Wings HATED Scotty Bowman. You think Ron Wilson was condescending???? Not sure if you remember but the Wings were rumored to be sending Yzerman to Ottawa at one point which, rumor had it was Scotty’s way of motivating Yzerman. Stop making these stupid comments, you look like idiots when you make them!

I’m the first to tell you that a coach has a shelf life. I do believe that players (that’s plural) quit on coaches. I do believe that they tune them out. Kaberle, by the way may be the only guy on the Leafs who can actually do that. He’s the only guy who has had Wilson as a coach for more than a cup of coffee. I personally don’t care for Wilson’s act- but who the hell cares. They’ve hired the guy, he has almost an entirely new lineup, there is no way he doesn’t deserve the shot.

by the way…stop making these stupid comments, you look like idiots when you make them!

David
April 1, 2010 10:59 am

Anyone who thinks that a single person owning the team is the cure-all for the Leafs is too young, or too stupid, to remember the Harold Ballard years.

David
April 1, 2010 11:06 am

I agree with that too. Winning is good for business. Imagine the profits they would rake in if they found a way to win a Stanley Cup and that isn’t even considering the increase in franchise value.

Eggbert
Eggbert
April 1, 2010 11:27 am

Happy Bday TSM,……don’t be so hard on yourself, you are a Leaf fan aren’t you? 😉

BlueBuds
BlueBuds
April 1, 2010 11:34 am

Happy Birthday and good job on the blogging. Thanks for the reads!
One argument these mouthbreathers just dont get is that, if the Leafs in their current state, not winning, generate money or profits for MLSE, then win they are winning, ie going long in the post season does what exactly? Winning is a goal of MLSE simply because as any business (hockey is a business) the goal is to make money, then hard to argue against the need or desire to win since winning will produce a lot more money for MLSE than a losing Maple Leafs team. So you now tell me how they don’t care about winning and in the same breath one can say the only care about money. D-U-M dumb.

April 1, 2010 4:26 pm

You’re obviously right, of course MLSE wants to win.

But I think it could be argued that MLSE may not feel the same urgency to win as some other clubs. The Leafs will make an awful lot of money almost regardless of their record. Whereas there are other teams out there that need to be competitive just to stay afloat.

So, yeah of course they want to win. But I think there have been times when they’ve been complacent as owners. I think hiring Burke was a big step in the right direction though.

Don H
Don H
April 1, 2010 4:48 pm

Back in the days of the original six, winning a cup was easier in the long view and over time. Boston and the Red Wings were horrific, but became powerhouses through the draft as the years progressed. Now with 30 teams and less talent across the board (players, coaches, GMs, and owners) it is near impossible. Having a coach like Bowman or a GM like Lou Lamoriello are a rare breed today. I think Burke and Wilson are above average and let’s see where this goes ….

Capn2patch
Capn2patch
April 3, 2010 12:13 am

Permit me to crossthresd here a little bit, and follow along as I take the long way around to make my point.

Let me begin by saying that I believe Steve Simmons to be a desperate attention whore, but he did make a good point the other day when he was on the Game Plan.

Burkey has gone out of his way to clear the deck, so to speak, by trading, demoting, releasing all of the players that were on the original roster when he arrived. The reason he did it is because he felt that the club as a whole did not care about winning, they accepted losing (I’m paraphrasing) and a winning culture was not inbred in the club. He argued that Kaberle, the last member of the original club, still has that disease.

Now my point is this, if it’s possible for a group of players to foster that culture of winning, it’s also possible for an organisation to suffer the same fate. Now money aside, imo the jury is still out if Burkey will succeed in this because it’s not just the players on the ice, but it’s the BOG, management, the shareholders and the players on the ice that need to pull in the same direction to make this a success.

The last time the Leafs won the Cup it was in black and white, I was 5 and I have absolutely no recollection of it. Accepting defeat and a level of mediocrity has permeated the entire organisation. It has soaked through every facet of its’ being. Operating the Club as a lucrative business is commendable but it isn’t the goal.

Is it headed in the right direction with Burkey here? I sure hope so. Will things change? The jury is still out.

Steve
Steve
April 3, 2010 3:02 pm

They may care, but their incompetence on the non-business side of things cannot be disputed. Aside from what now appears to be a decent shot at 2 home playoff games for their NBA, it appears as though the lights will be off for the post-season for all their properties again this season. At least they landed the much sought after MLS Cup. Yet, people continue to pay top-of-the-league prices for all of them. If you’re a patron, then you deserve what you get (or don’t, in these cases).