Group Hug At HNIC?

Oh to be a fly on the wall during the next staff meeting for the “talent” on Hockey Night in Canada. Get a load of what Don Cherry has to say about Jeff Marek and Scott Morrison reading emails from the I-desk from Habs fans after the Habs came crashing down to earth last night.

Personally, if you are going to have an idesk and have your personalities interact with fans there is nothing wrong with emails. I would like to think that they could summarize them as opposed to reading them, but geeez, given much of the garbage on CBC do we really care? I mean show the game and then all bets are off. The worst part for me is Ron MacLean agreeing with Cherry. Thoughts?

JP80
JP80
May 1, 2010 5:45 pm

Don’t usually agree with grapes, but I actually do here. That email segment was kinda pathetic

May 1, 2010 6:11 pm

reading emails/posts on television is an impossibly stupid idea from the perspective of the viewer. we all have access to the internet and if we want to debate “have a cock” or whoever Cherry was referring to then we can go do that.

the ploy is pretty transparent: tempt people by thinking that you’ll read their post on the air and then get them to watch your ads both online and on TV. it makes for terrible television unfortunately. that being said, this might be just the right thing for Marek …

Rob Janssens
Rob Janssens
May 1, 2010 7:07 pm

Just on principle, anything Don Cherry “resents” is alright with me. Considering he likely doesn’t know what emails are, we shouldn’t take his view too seriously

Capn2patch
Capn2patch
May 1, 2010 8:54 pm

Cherry should worry about keeping viewers in his own segment instead of making editorial comments.

Steve-O
May 2, 2010 9:19 am

Couple of comments:

Shouldn’t the first rule be to never, ever criticize co-workers, particularly on television?

The segment is called the Chevy I-Desk and the I stands for “interactive” E-mails are a part of that, and they only summarized a couple of them. Not a big deal, on what looked to be a transitional throwaway segment.

Ged
Ged
May 2, 2010 12:43 pm

Couldn’t care less what Cherry says. Can’t think of anyone in the Canadian media who deserves to be removed as much as he does.

As for reading emails on air…it’s fine. It’s a cheaper, easier version of the ‘man on the street’ segment. Just a way for ‘normal’ folk to possibly get their opinion out there.

I agree with Mike, there is a ploy there, but not a big deal imo.

Benjamin
Benjamin
May 2, 2010 2:10 pm

I think I am unfortunately becoming one of a dying breed of Cherry fans. I love listening to him as he gives me a good laugh. His comments about the game are grounded in his high hockey intelligence.

He is a personality – by definition personalities are not boring like say. As a result he says some stupid things which polarize his viewers, but for me that is what makes him so interesting to watch.

Would you rather watch Ron MacLean sitting there by himself talking to a bunch of politically correct (to death) members of the Hot Stove? I would not.

If Cherry was to be taken off the air I would not only walk away from the second intermission but I would also walk away from the first.

However, like it or not Cherry will be on the air until he decides to call it quits. His reputation precedes him and CBC could never remove him from the air without public backlash. In addition to backlash their ratings would fall dramatically – all those who currently watch Cherry would leave during the intermission and all of those who don’t watch him right now would stay away still.

You can’t replace Cherry.

Benjamin
Benjamin
May 2, 2010 2:12 pm

correction: “like say.” to “like all of the plugs on the Hot Stove.”

CD
CD
May 3, 2010 10:30 am

To be honest I wouldn’t say I am a fan of Don Cherry, but I do find him entertaining. I don’t normally agree with him but I do find the whole read the viewer’s email on air thing to be lame.

It’s a trend used a lot now and I guess I just would prefer to look up those type of opinions online if I am interested in them…not have them forced on me during a broadcast. Especially since the ones in this case were particularly stupid and troll-like (ie. ridiculous and not funny to compare Halak to Racicot after one bad game considering what he did in the series before and yesterday for that matter).

fluffy
fluffy
May 3, 2010 11:23 am

HNIC wants to maintain their younger audience. Young people want interaction. Nothing wrong with that. Besides, the emails he did read were pretty entertaining. If he’s reading duds then that’s another story. Pretty classless for Cherry to throw his colleagues under the bus.

ZR
ZR
May 3, 2010 10:11 pm

I’m not a big Don Cherry fan either…however, with regards to idesk.. I agree with him. I was very suprised to see such poor quality hosting and content. Seriously now… can’t we do better on both fronts? Who cares where and what Snoop Dog plays? I’m a hockey fan… I want hockey news that’s relevant. I don’t need my IQ lowered by 20 points watching this garbage.

Ryan
May 5, 2010 6:37 pm

Cherry is kind of right. iDesk is the worst. If I wanted to hear about tweets I’d go on Twitter. I don’t need HNIC to start with it in the middle of a broadcast.

That said, notice that Cherry’s version of “red light Halak” is “Red Lav Havalcock”… what the hell does that even mean? Haha