Bikini OTD Sports Radio Tonight

Here’s your bikini of the day from GetABikini.com

On Fan 590 Tonight-

– Grapeline with Don Cherry & Brian Williams at 4:45
– Bob McCown’s co-host from 5:00 to 7:00 is Stephen Brunt
4:10 Dave Shoalts, Globe & Mail
4:25 Elliotte Friedman, Hockey Night In Canada
5:05 Jim Barker, Argos Head Coach in studio
5:25 Dan Shulman, ESPN
6:06 Mark Fainaru Wada, ESPN on Floyd Landis & Anthony Galea
6:30 Tom Wright, UFC Director of Canadian Ops In Studio
6:45 Jack Armstrong

On 640 with Brady and Watters thanks to Mike S.:
4:05 – OPEN PHONES – 416-870-6400, *640 on the Cell, 1-888-225-TALK

4:45 – Adam Foote (Colorado Avalanche Defenseman)

5:05 – Questionable Decision of the Day

5:25 – OPEN PHONES – 416-870-6400, *640 on the Cell, 1-888-225-TALK

5:45 – Richard Deitsch (SI.com)

6:10 – Inside the NHL w/ Scott Morrison

6:40 – Kristian Jack (The Score)

May 26, 2010 6:52 pm

The difference between the two 4:00 – 7:00 shows was never more evident than last night:

The big hockey story of the day was Yzerman………Wilbur’s show had several guests on this subject, each with a different viewpoint…………McCown’s show talked about it for less than 5 minutes when they chatted with Kypreos…………the rest of McCown’s show focused on non-hockey stories, including an extensive conversation on the recent American Needle verdict and what it might mean for pro sports in North America

As many have said on this site before, it’s nice to have this type of variety in our late afternoon sports talk radio

FMT
FMT
May 26, 2010 8:43 pm

These last couple of days really showed what we were talking about a week or so back about how McCown show is now just a buddy show. So now that McCown CFL friend is part of the UFC we have back to back day with UFC as a segment. So this entire time with Montreal selling out the Bell Centre in minutes or many consider the best pound for pound MMA fighter being somebody from this nation. All those moments wasn’t worthy of McCown time to even look at it. But low and behold his CFL buddy is part of it now he’s found segments to talk about it.

I’m not a fan of UFC but I don’t have a problem about it being talked about especially if a national guy is fighting (GSP) and doing great or a show is being put on in this nation. But wow it just really shows you, if you are in McCown inner circle or have connections with him he will put you on the guest/topic list, if not, he will knock that sport down or act like it’s beneath him to talk about.

Nice to hear soccer talk on 640. Inter (soon to be Real Madrid) coach is the most entertaining personality in sports. I thought the average attendance for the Italian game here last night was an interesting story that I think Kristian missed what I think is interesting about it (McCown mentioned it, but obviously put not thought into it) Kristen thinks it’s because of timing and ticket prices (which I think is partial right) But I think Sun media Sandor has a much more interesting take on it.

He said (and I agree) the general soccer fan here has shifted their interest much more to TFC. So before you bring in a European team and it doesn’t matter if their star players don’t come (like they didn’t this time due to WC training) or that the venue is horrible for watching soccer (like skydome is) people would pay $60 for a 500 level ticket to watch the bench players of famous European teams play in an exhibition game. But now there’s a different option, yes TFC/MLS is not the quality of Italian soccer but for the same $60 you get great seats at a soccer specific stadium for a team that represents your city in games that matter for points. But saying that I’m sure Manchester Utd will have full house at the dome in July because their fans are freaks!

May 27, 2010 10:48 am

I am not a fan of UFC but there is no denying their popularity…………so when they open an office in Toronto (despite the fact they aren’t allowed to have events in Ontario) it’s a story.

Yes it is true that Tom Wright is McCown’s buddy and that is the biggest reason why he was on the show…………however the reason why PTS talked about UFC on Tuesday is probably because Brunt suggested they do so………..when it comes to guests, I think Brunt has more of a say than some people think…………it sounded like McCown had to be talked into interviewing Dana White and he ended up boycotting the interview because White was late so Brunt had to do it by himself

FMT
FMT
May 27, 2010 12:50 pm

I’m with you guys, I think it certainly is a story and should be talked about. But seeing McCown attitude towards sports/ people he doesn’t connect with in the past, I have serious doubts if Wright wasn’t part of the UFC announcement that this would get any more than a passing snide comment of “Look at the unwashed savages are opening offices here”.

So of course it’s a story (just like selling out Montreal Bell Centre in record time was a story, or having a top fighter being from this nation is a story) but all previous stories were ignored and this story would as well if McCown CFL buddy who he enjoys playing rounds of golf with wasn’t part of it. Hey maybe UFC is smart, the pathetic buddy connection that seems to go on in sports media here (it’s not just McCown, but he is pretty obvious) it was very smart to have a guy like Wright lead the way in this nation and maybe get more mainstream acceptance. It shouldn’t be that way, but unfortunately it is.

May 27, 2010 1:54 pm

I think Mike S is probably right. Brunt is interested in UFC – and also happened to write a column the next day about the office opening, even using quotes from the radio interview. So he may have pushed that story.

I also agree that you really can see the difference in show styles. I think BWS is a fairly traditional sports talk show (obviously with a major hockey focus). PTS is starkly different. When it’s really good, it almost reminds me of a sports version of ‘As it Happens’ or something.

I’ve listened to a fair bit of sports radio around the States, and I’ve never really heard a show that veers from ‘lets talk about the home team’s game tonight’ as much as PTS does. I think that’s a big part of its success over the years. It’s a unique approach.

But, as you said, sometimes people want to know what’s going on with the Leafs game tonight – so good to have both. I wonder how much crossover there is in audiences? With each show providing such different things, sometimes I wonder if it’s less than we think.

May 27, 2010 4:28 pm

If Wright had not been involved in the UFC story I definitely agree that McCown would not have done a follow up story yesterday but I still think they probably would have done the Tuesday interview (most likely because of a suggestion from Brunt)

Julian
Julian
May 27, 2010 6:28 pm

I think the comparison between the two shows is fair. But again, McCown is Johnny Carson. He really is. He can do what he wants whenever he wants and probably for the next year or so, he’s still the King. Think of everyone Carson took on and knocked off during his run.

Watters isn’t the guy to beat McCown, I can freely admit that. Brady needs to go it with someone younger at some point, or even on his own with guest hosts. I like Watters a lot but you can’t win younger demographics against a near 60-year old with a near 70-year old. It’s simply not possible.

But I’d bet 640 is happy with their growth. No one even talked about them before the last few years, although Leafs Lunch is getting its pants kicked by Hockeycentral.

Face it, the show is a “hockey show” because of Bill Watters. Do you think Brady wouldn’t do a show more like McCown with fresher topics and geared towards a younger demographic without Wilbur? He’s probably needing to decide what he wants to do long-term there or somewhere else.

Remember I said this a while ago, McCown only has one more year on his contract. If you know ANYTHING about Rogers and their cost-cutting ways in radio and tv, believe me, Bob is due for a major paycut. You can disagree if you want, but it’s coming. So both 4pm shows might sound different and even have different people on it a year or two from now. I am unaware of Watters’ contract status, but I’m guessing it’s not much longer than the Leafs deal itself.

trackback

[…] reading here: Bikini OTD Sports Radio Tonight | Toronto Sports Media Blog This entry was posted on Wednesday, May 26th, 2010 at 20:15 and is filed under Commentary, […]

trackback

[…] original here: Bikini OTD Sports Radio Tonight | Toronto Sports Media Blog 26/05/2010 – 20:15 | By Editor | Posted in Commentary, Opinion, Radio | Tagged brady, cup, […]