Changes at The Fan 590

Folks are telling me this am that changes are afoot at the Fan 590 and that they are coming sooner rather than later and they will be sweeping and not mild. While names haven’t been confirmed, I’m told that 1 new hire has already been made and apparently this new person isn’t new to the Toronto airwaves. I don’t know where the new person fits but I’m thinking it’s not the morning drive show.

I’m also hearing that a change is planned to Bob Mccown’s prime time sports which could leave him much less than thrilled. Could this be enough to make Mccown look elsewhere when his deal is up?????? Who do you think would replace him that isn’t currently in a drive home slot????

It looks like the new program director is ready to make his mark.

Interesting times indeed.

@yyzsportsmedia

Raptors Devotee
May 29, 2010 8:58 am

Any more details on the new hire? Is it someone coming from another station in Toronto or one who used to work here and is coming back?

Why mess with the Bobcat? Why piss him off? His ratings are superb. I wonder what that change can be? My guess is that his co-host, Shannon, who is awful, is being shown the door, along with maybe Kirk. This likely has to do with Bob’s buddies being broken up. They skew to an older demographic and I have a feeling that he is going to have younger talented co-hosts with him on the roundtable.

McCown/Brunt make great radio. Arthurs has earned the other week and with Brunt in Newfoundland I hope that he can take over more and get the other week when Brunt gets back.

Those fan surveys are very comprehensive and the PD reads every one of them and obviously is making changes where needed.

LT
LT
May 29, 2010 1:44 pm

Brady for Landry….please.

LT
LT
May 29, 2010 1:45 pm

Or….TSM! TSM get’s his own show!

May 29, 2010 2:09 pm

I feel like we’ve been hearing about The Fan being on the verge of changes for a good two years now!

Hopefully they actually do this time.

Yeah – Brady would be great. I’d love to hear him in a general sports format.

What would they do to Prime Time I wonder? As Raptors Devotee said, it’s succeeding with ratings. It’s been pretty consistent with about double BWS’s ratings (from what I can recall).

Maybe they’d play around with the time slot a bit? Give McCown an extra half hour or something?

Honestly, I don’t think there’s anyone that could replace McCown. I have trouble imagining that they’d do something to piss him off or make him consider leaving.

lister
lister
May 30, 2010 12:32 pm

I pretty much agree with what Raptors Devotee said. I think Shannon is better than Kelley was as a sidekick (I still like Kelley as a guest for hockey matters) but I do prefer Bruce Arthur or Michael Grange as alternate sidekick. I do like that Arthur, Grange and Brunt aren’t Yes Men to McCown. Some of PTS’ best radio is when they disagree.

Bobcat and Brunt make excellent radio together.

If Bobcat leaves I will stop watching/listening to PrimeTime Sports.

gerry
gerry
May 30, 2010 5:16 pm

I would not be at all suprised to hear that it is Brady, and as a bit of a long shot, maybe he’ll recruit Sean Beligian from his Detroit Days. Although Jamie Samuelson was his partner for most of the time, he did host a weekly evening show called “Ice Time” with Sean, In fact you may have heard Sean’s voice as TSN has been running the Tyler Seguin audio clips from the prospect workouts on Friday. It is Sean doing the whaler play by play… but I digress..

Capn2patch
Capn2patch
May 30, 2010 5:31 pm

Friedman isn’t new to Toronto airwaves, and it makes sense that they would wait until his obligations with HNIC were done before announcing his return to the FAN.

cd
cd
May 30, 2010 8:42 pm

TSM, I love the site and your work you put into this…but I think this the fourth…”changes a coming to the FAN posting”…with no results… I am hopeful that Landry is gone, but will believe changes when I see them! Keep up the good work.

Jimmy D
Jimmy D
June 16, 2010 10:55 pm

I must admit I am baffled by the support that McCown seems to have. I find him an insufferable crashing bore who is filled with unjustified self importance. I only listen to his show on the rare occasion now because it is the same old blah blah blah. I would love to see him gone.