TSM Pressbox, Brian Burke June 1, 2010

On this edition of the TSM Pressbox, Brian Burke, President and GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs joined us. I won’t say too much, except a thank you to Brian for spending part of us with us today!

[podcast]https://torontosportsmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/tsm-pressbox-brian-burke.mp3[/podcast]

@yyzsportsmedia

June 1, 2010 7:36 pm

Congrats, TSM. This is a huge ‘get’ for a blog. Very cool.

Also – I don’t know if you have on air experience, but I thought you handled yourself very well (especially if you have no broadcasting experience).

Not being a huge hockey fan, the Leafs have kind of lost me over the last 5 years. But I really like Brian Burke. Despite the Kessel trade, I have a lot of trust in Burke and I think I could really get behind this team in a year or two if Burke starts putting together a competitive team.

I’m rooting for him. Nice job.

June 1, 2010 7:37 pm

By the way – do you think there’s a chance in hell you could ever get McCown to come on one of these? I would LOVE to hear that.

PipeDreamer
PipeDreamer
June 1, 2010 9:40 pm

Brilliant interview, the kind you can’t get from the big media sources.

It’s nice of Burke to give the big guys a bone, and the little guys a dog house.

I was hoping for a little more Kulemin talk, but you covered a lot of good stuff.

lt67
lt67
June 1, 2010 9:46 pm

That was fantastic…..Burke is known to be an open book / free speaker but this was truly “unplugged”….congrats. Now that Burke has been on TSM, others will line-up at the chance! Beeston, Alex A, McCown, Wilson…bring ’em on.

LT

benjamin
benjamin
June 2, 2010 1:47 am

Great interview!

One thing that I could never figure out about you is who exactly you are. Are you Jonas Siegel?

James
James
June 2, 2010 11:24 am

Makes me sick when hes talking about how the team didn’t respond until the planet tickets were dolled out. Blake, Stajan, Mayers, Toskala. Absolute BUMS all of them. They should’ve been traded in October not January.

CD
CD
June 2, 2010 11:32 am

Wow…TSM extreme Kudos…I always love Burke’s interviews but this is definitely the best I’ve heard. I feel like the two of you were sitting at a pub sharing a pint and talking about the Leafs for fun. Truly a great job!

Grizzleaf
Grizzleaf
June 2, 2010 8:13 pm

That was an awesome interview!

Glad you didn’t just go with the usual “stock” questions. I hope you do get him back on for another interview.

Good job, keep on plugging away.

Capn2patch
Capn2patch
June 2, 2010 9:08 pm

First impression: Entertaining half hour.

What I liked most was the banter in the first 15 minutes, good unveiled questions that you never hear in the MSM. I get the impression that Burke likes to be challenged, and responded well to pointed intelligent questions.

Constructive criticism, it was too long. Definitely tailed off in the back half, the bubble gum utopian questions were painful to listen to. The Berger scenario was a low point, took away some of the credibility you had built up with Brian.

Do it again, I liked it.

Nealio
Nealio
June 2, 2010 9:40 pm

AWESOME!! Not just saying that either, I thoroughly enjoyed that Jonas! My wife was looking at me funny the first couple minutes asking what the hell I was listening too and then after a few minutes I swear she was actually enjoying the discussion with me, and we’re talking about my wife being a person with zero interest in Hockey or sports. I thought your questions were great and my level of respect for Burke went up another few notches when he spoke so openly about so many things.
Thank-you so much for sharing this, I am going to spread this to me friends who would appreciate & enjoy this hopefully as much as I did. CHEERS MAN!!! 🙂

Paul
Paul
June 3, 2010 4:59 pm

This interview is fantastic. One of the best I’ve heard with Burke.

Adam
June 3, 2010 8:39 pm

Great interview! Loved the Howard Berger part (as I’m sure most haters do!) and who would of known bird watching?! Thanks again

Terry
Terry
June 3, 2010 9:07 pm

Don’t you work for 640 Jona? I think you slipped up when you said you were listing to the fan.

Andrew
Andrew
June 4, 2010 12:30 am

First time to the site. Now bookmarked. That was the best Burke interview I’ve heard all year. Thanks Jonas. Didn’t know about the Berger hate but really not that surprised.

loaferoatan
June 6, 2010 12:00 pm

GREAT INTERVIEW!!! Very informative….hopefully it made a good impression on Burkie and he’ll be back. He seemed very relaxed and therefore more open to answering the good questions…good job

Site bookmarked!

Kevin Mckenna
Kevin Mckenna
June 8, 2010 2:43 pm

Great interview

redheadfromTO
redheadfromTO
July 12, 2010 12:28 pm

Listening to the Burke interview now – nice!

colin smith
colin smith
August 29, 2010 2:28 pm

Jonas,
I listen to you on AM640, I try to read your blogs/interviews on their website, and I have to be honest – I don’t usually agree with you.

BUT (big letters for a big “but”)
This was a fantastic interview!!

I found it incredibly insightful, entertaining, and to a large degree it was very candid and because of that it felt very “real”, very forthright, both in terms of the questions asked and the answers Brian Burke gave. I would expect nothing less than brutal honesty from Burke, but even in terms of the open mic segment at the end – some of it was just great info that you don’t normally get to hear. Most startling of which was Burkie admitting that he finally went to Richard Pettie and said “I need help, I gotta move some bodies” because he hadn’t had the impact on the players that he had assumed he would.
I used to snicker when Brady and Watters would give you a hard time and not let you finish a sentence occasionally, but now after hearing this interview, I have a whole new respect for what you bring.

Keep it up!!

colin smith
colin smith
August 29, 2010 2:31 pm

OOPS!

Sorry, just read some other postings where you said you don’t work at AM640.
you sure sound like Siegel though….are you sure? 😉

Anyway, GREAT interview!

Mark Evans
September 18, 2010 4:05 pm

Nice interview – and kudos for getting Burke to come on your blog/podcast.

Mark