Greg Brady Gone From Bill Watters Show

So, as we told you around 4pm, the winds of change have finally blown through 2 Toronto radio stations.

Greg Brady has left 640 Toronto for what we can only assume are “greener” pastures over at the fan 590. All references to Brady appear to have been removed from the 640 Toronto website.

Nothing is entirely clear right now, but as I wrote earlier, here is what I think is going to happen:

Changes are going to happen to the morning show. I am pretty sure Brady isn’t going there. I am lead to believe that Don Landry’s contract is set to expire some time soon. Gord Stellick’s I believe has at least another year remaining.

Despite Krystal’s denial, I do believe he will end up at the Fan and I do believe he will sit in the slot currently held by Mike Hogan.

I do believe that Brady will take over part of the hosting duties of hockey central at noon and host part of the mid day show at the Fan leading up to Mccown’s prime time sports.

As for who takes over for Brady, I have no clue. There probably isn’t a shortage of guys who’d be willing to take the gig.

Brady confirmed on twitter his exit from 640 and the Watters show:

“Just wanted to say thanks for your notes. It was a real emotional day. 640 treated me remarkably, so classy, and my bosses were wonderful.”

“I will miss all the fun I had with Watters. He treated me golden, but this move is equally exciting & being home for family more is huge.”

“Not sure when I’ll be on the radio again or what exactly I will be doing, but I’m as excited as Dion Phaneuf was when he got traded here.”

So….that’s it for now….

Sticking with radio and 640 Toronto, I am curious what you all think about something I heard on their airwaves at roughly 740am today.

As you are probably aware, late last night the auction for the Paul Henderson team Canada jersey closed. The winning bid was in excess of a million dollars. The newspapers this morning had the sale, and the price but not the buyer. When I got in the car, I learned the following, the jersey was sold to a resident of Toronto, a Canadian man, a real estate magnate and the owner of a Vaughn shopping mall company. One station provided the owners name.

James MacPhee, 640 Toronto’s News Director read the story of the sale of the jersey. He read the story except he added at the end that the jersey was purchased by a “Jewish man from Toronto”.

Now, I will admit, I was driving at the time and I nearly drove into a pole with I heard MacPhee’s report. Let me be clear, I didn’t find the commentary to be rude, insensitive or in anyway based on hatred. What I did think was how irrelevant the comment was and my curiosity grew as to why MacPhee would even go there… I mean what the hell did the buyer’s religion have to do with anything?

So, I asked a handful of people this morning if I was out of my mind. All, without exception agreed that it was a bizarre comment to make and pushed me to inquire as to why it was made.

So I sent a few emails and ended up on the phone with MacPhee. MacPhee politely laughed when I asked him why he mentioned that the purchaser of the Henderson jersey was a Jewish man from Toronto. He offered that he “just threw it out there because he knew the buyer was Jewish.”

Now again…I am NOT suggesting any hatred, bias, racism or otherwise on the part of MacPhee or 640. I’m not looking for an apology. The question does remain however, why would someone make that type of comment while reading the news. If Mitchell Goldhar, the buyer of the jersey was Italian, or Irish, would the comment have been “the buyer is an Italian (Irish) man from Toronto”?

Maybe I am truly nuts. But it says here that MacPhee (who’s work I really like- I have written here before that I like the humor and life he brings to his work) said something stupid and that others with much thinner skin than mine would find tremendously insensitive… my advice- for the little that it’s worth…think before you speak.

@yyzsportsmedia

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
June 23, 2010 11:07 pm

This sounds awful familiar to when Jacques Demers was making fun of Michael Landsberg’s nose. That was out of line, and so was this one by James MacPhee.

I am glad that you did due diligence soliciting others opinions on it and then speaking to MacPhee directly about it.

I did not hear it, but would like to in order to put it into context and see the tone of voice used and how it was delivered.

With Demers you can tell he was clearly just trying to be funny, and he is the kind of person that seems to use whatever is at his disposal, but he too does not think before he talks, and I pointed that out whent you posted about that.

What you did will hopefully have the same effect on MacPhee, and he will think twice about it before commenting with regards to anybody’s religion.

The classy thing would be for MacPhee to issue an apology on the air tomorrow morning if he offended anybody with his thoughtless remark. This will only work though if it comes from him and not forced upon him by the station manager, and if he delivers it genuinely.

RE: Changes to the Fan, I really hope that Brady does not cut into “The Gameplan”, which works fine for me. Any other time outside of PTS is fine with me.

June 24, 2010 2:06 am

It goes without saying that this is a good move for 590……….and it’s a major blow for 640………….first they cancel Leafs Lunch and now Wilbur’s show has taken a hit……….it will be interesting to see who they get to replace Brady.

When was the last time we had someone significant switch teams like this in Toronto sports radio?…………you might have to go all the way back to when Brunt left 590 to go to Team 1050………….Derringer left 590 to go to Q107 but that was a move from a sports station to a non-sports station

LT67
LT67
June 24, 2010 7:56 am

I am jewish and very rarely offended by off the cuff comments – in fact, while I think Demers shouldn’t have said what he said on air, it seemed clear that he was joking around with a friend and truly meant no harm or believes/supports the stereotype comments….just a slip. What I found intriguing about MacPhee was what he said to TSM in response to the on air comment. “just threw it out there because he knew the buyer was Jewish.” And??? So why did you throw it out there James? What are you trying to say? What discussion did you intend to initiate? Talk about digging a deeper hole. I would have been happier with a more ignorant reply to TSM…something like: “yeah, not sure why i said that on air….shouldn’t have done that…I apologize if I offended anyone”.

Leo
Leo
June 24, 2010 8:17 am

NO, NO, NO!!!! Brady we’re gonna miss you. I think Brady was clearly the best on radio right now and the primary reason I listened to 640. I can’t stand mccown – my drive home will officially suck now.

Jessie Brockman
June 24, 2010 9:01 am

Who will replace Landry in the morning?

Steve-O
June 24, 2010 10:14 am

Let the speculation begin…Fan on-air talent page has no mention of Landry/Stellick or Mike Hogan..

sg
sg
June 24, 2010 10:59 am

Yes, nice catch… wow, tough way to go…

Terry Fitzgerald
Terry Fitzgerald
June 25, 2010 8:33 am

I hope Brady doesn’t come to the Fan. He couldn’t find the end of a sentence with a GPS. Too much talking not enough listening.

flatline
flatline
June 25, 2010 1:05 pm

“I could be wrong” (cough) but I think Kollins is making a massive programming mistake that, like all galactic errors, will take years to fix.

Broadening the programming so that it (my words here) embraces non-sports issues is a MISTAKE.

I — and I’m sure I’m not alone — listen to the Fan *precisely because* it’s news that isn’t really news at all. I mean, I can tolerate listening to a discussion or even an impassioned debate over whether the Leafs should trade…well, who cares. The point is, is that sports radio is supposed to be a giant diversion. It’s like life intimating art imitating life. It’s not pseudo-news, but it’s not NEWS news. It’s kind of para-news.

Once the Fan starts to blend into “guy talk radio” the quality of content is going to plummet like mad. It’s barely tolerable now listening to armchair quarterbacks call for this guy to be fired or that guy to be traded. But to listen to Joe Blow tell me his views on the G20 or military spending or climate change?

Are you kidding?

Count me out of that.

True2Life
True2Life
August 17, 2010 9:44 am

I agree with the last post. I’m listening to Krystal right now and although he is talking sports, I call it “sports lite”, or fluff…if I wanted fluff i’d listen to am 640.

Brady is annoying and he kept me away from am 640, and I was disspaointed to hear that he has joined 590

I’m sad to see Landry go. He was entertaining.

As a loyal listener to 590 since its inception, I am dissapointed about this new direction 🙁

LaffwiththeLeafs
LaffwiththeLeafs
December 22, 2010 9:54 pm

The Leafs are a joke. Who cares? Burke sure as hell don’t! Going on 6 years not even making the playoffs and well over 40 years NO CUP! The building sells out everynight and we the fans keep accepting this crap losing way of the Leafs. I blame the Bill Watters of the sports world. This would never happen in Montreal.