TSM Pressbox, July 6, 2010 Norma Wick Pt 3

On this edition of the TSM Pressbox, I talked to Norma Wick, our first female guest. This one is another long edition and therefore I have broken it down in to 3 segments for you (or at least James has). In this, pt 3 we talk about the Toronto Raptors, Bryan Colangelo, Chris Bosh, Dwayne Wade, Lebron James, James Worthy and more

[podcast]https://torontosportsmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/TSM-July-6th-3of3.mp3[/podcast]

TSM Pressbox

@yyzsportsmedia

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
July 8, 2010 11:20 pm

I love Norma’s predictions: Bosh to New Jersey, Wade to Chicago or Miami (leaned towards Miami and his rel’ship with Riley) and LeBron to New York Knicks. Needless to say, she was way off.

She was a very interesting guest beside her lousy predictions, offering insights into what a female reporter has to deal with in a male dominated field.

Jonah, you are a wonderful interviewer, always taking your time to deliver your questions, while relaxing your guests to open up.

It was interesting to hear her views on Bosh, and how he has changed, like you said, from his early years. Now playing with LeBron and Wade, I have no doubt that his ego will swell to epic proportions.

Keep up the good work.

July 9, 2010 1:42 pm

haven’t had a chance to listen yet. just wanted to say thanks for doing these. it’s a great addition to my iPod. i would love to hear more interviews of media types. McCown would be great, but i think Arthur would be really entertaining too. Some other suggestions for future guests:

– Bill Houston (honest opinions from a veteran media critic)
– Don Landry (radio veteran, maybe in the mood to vent)
– Wilner (colossal douche, but might appreciate the chance to set the record straight and talk Jays)
– Nelson Millman (was always willing to talk when at the FAN)

Norma Wick
Norma Wick
July 9, 2010 7:00 pm

Thanks for defending me TSM on the ‘free agent questions” – but let’s be clear, they weren’t predictions, but flat out throw-a-dart guesses.

Perhaps I should have prefaced my “Who’s going to go where” answers that way, but I assumed that anyone who listened to the interview in its entirety would have known that I hadn’t been following the free agent circus – especially after what I had said earlier on the subject of rumours and speculation and my disinterest in both.

It’s fun for some to ‘wade’ knee deep into all the speculation and that’s great if it entertains them. To each his own. It’s not for me personally and it’s not required of me professionally.

Here’s an example though, of why I’m not a fan of ‘hype”:

The same media that fueled this outrageous circus – professional and social – are now criticizing the
participants for self-indulgent and egomaniacal behaviour. Were LBJ, Bosh and Wade NOT over-indulged? Was their every move not followed breathlessly? Didn’t people hang on every tweet? Didn’t people discuss, blog, report, debate, televise, publish, rally for and talk about these guys every hour of the day and night?

The nerve of them to be sooooo self-important! Who do they think they are?

We reap what we sow.

FMT
FMT
July 9, 2010 7:51 pm

I’ve always thought in general women in sports media actually more interesting than the men. Sure there are some women you really wonder if they know what they are talking about, but there is just as much men in the industry that I look and wonder if they are the nephew of somebody high up. Heck even some very high ranking anchors/sports casters from our time, you get them out of their comfort level they don’t adapt well.

An interesting saying, while the guy has to prove he’s an idiot, the woman has to prove she’s not. Which in saying a guy comes on and we just assume he “must have paid his dues” and over time we if he’s not very good we start noticing. While a woman she’s on most sports audience is like “Okay prove you know your stuff”

Real like her quote about the guy who says “You know nothing about sports” and he looks like the most unathletic person which then means he thinks the male brain is smarter to watch sports than a female brain, which is absurd.

Nice interview, she gives a pretty different perspective on things than I think most male would in the industry. She didn’t try to call you back and have you change her NBA free agent predictions lol. But won’t be too harsh on her, there’s a lot of people who followed the team during the year who was saying there was a good chance he would stay, which I thought was absurd. BTW great on you for bringing up Toth lol

Norma Wick
Norma Wick
July 12, 2010 11:12 am

Sounds like the deal is still very fluid. In addition, there’ll be more wheeling and dealing before the summer is over. Until the team is “intact” – it’s hard to say how well the pieces will fit.

Diaw is a serviceable player, but his most effective years were playing in the Sun’s system – with Nash. Barbosa is exciting, but again the style (and did I mention Nash?) complimented his skills. I don’t doubt that Hedo will be a better player in Phoenix – he should also be highly motivated after his last season here.

I’m still not sure what Toronto’s “identity” is. Given that,
it’s hard to say what pieces best compliment it.

Detroit built a championship team with guys that were hungry; guys that had been kicked around (Billups/Ben Wallace), drafted late (Prince,Okur..) wiley veterans (like Lindsay Hunter) and a bona fide scorer in Rip Hamilton. They also added a late key piece in Rasheed Wallace. The sum – at least at first – was greater than the parts. The parts achieved greatness through toughness, unselfish play and a commitment to ferocious defence. Dumars handpicked the team and added pieces accordingly.

Toronto is a long way off from contending right now, but creep, crawl, walk run – it’s a process.

I’m interested in knowing what KIND of team the Raptors want to be. Let’s see if that becomes evident once the pieces are in place.

It’s not an exact science, but as Yogi Berra said, “Be careful, because if you don’t know where you’re going – you might not get there.”

We’ll know more about where the Raptors are “going”
in a few weeks.

July 14, 2010 8:49 am

Norma claims that the proliferation of bloggers is killing good journalism. She cites the lack of facts and the lack of insights as endemic to blogs/twitter. I agree with the claim that journalists are responsible to their employers for the veracity of their claims so they have to check their facts, while bloggers can throw anything up and hope it sticks.

However, blogs have exposed many journalists/columnists as turning out insipid, predictable and insightless content month after month. TSM has built a regular following calling out banal and misleading journalism on this site. It is quite simply false to claim that members of the mainstream media are somehow well qualified to provide good insights. As an example, Blue Jay blogs are the place to go for in depth statistical analysis and argument. I pretty much know what Bob Elliot is going to write for the rest of the season. The same is true for Damian Cox on hockey and Rosie DiManno on, well, anything.

Norma is right that blogs are threatening the job security of mainstream journalists, but not for the reasons she cites.