More On Krystal and Brady and Bob Mckenzie

Dave Naylor was on with Krystal out of the gate this morning, talking Bills, NFL, CFL and Toronto. Naylor was good, as always and I liked where Krystal was headed- why aren’t more 30 year old’s talking Argos in Toronto- however he didn’t ever get there. He followed that up with a phenomenal segment on the decision to spend $90m on an ice rink in Toronto. It was a good segment because Krystal didn’t have to talk sports. He talked politics and brought on those involved and oh by the way the topic happened to involve a sport.

That is what I think we are going to come to expect. Krytstal will talk news mostly and some times that news may involve sports. I don’t expect him to be interviewing many athletes with the exception of the odd superstar where he can do so at a very shallow level. I think he will excel where the topic is news based in the sports area.

Brady was much better today, and the more that I think about it the more I’m thinking the time slot is wasted on him. Personally, I find it the hardest time to listen in and pay attention. Only two days in and I am really appreciating someone who is talking sports and not just with the usual Fan “beat guys”.

Congrats may be in order to Bob Mckenzie who I’m told may have just inked a very nice and well deserve 10 year extension. Yes, you read that right, I am told that THE hockey insider has a nice shiny new deal that will take him in to the territory where he can write his next book- the life of a hockey grandfather 🙂 Just kidding. Seriously though folks, is there anyone in the business more deserving of an extension of that length (assuming it’s true)??!!

Question to ponder, with Bob tied up for a long time will Sportsnet try to re-engage with one Darren Dreger in attempt to gain some legs vs. TSN???? Hmmmm. The other question of course, is will Bettman ask Richard Bloch to review McKenzie’s contract????????

Lastly, in the first inning of tonight’s Blue Jays game the following occurred. First jays batter flied out. Second batter walked. A pick off attempt ended up in right field and the Jays baserunner ended up at third base on the error. Jose Bautista hit a grounder to short scoring the runner on third in a sacrifice. The next Jays hitter popper up to end the inning with the Jays up 1-0. Now, here’s the question. The A’s pitcher gave up an unearned run on no hits in the first inning. Although it didn’t happen, it was possible that the pitcher could go on and throw a no hitter and assuming the Jays staff earned a shutout- thus the end result being a 1-0 Jays win, with the A’s pitcher tossing a complete game, no hitter but losing 1-0. Question: Has that ever happened?????? Has a starting pitcher ever thrown a no hitter but lost in regulation 9 innings?

Things that make me go hmmmm as I drive north on the 400 at 11pm.

@yyzsportsmedia

August 18, 2010 1:04 am

I seem to remember Andy Hawkins pitching a no hitter and his team lost but he might have only pitched 8 innings because his team was the road team so the bottom of the ninth was not necessary

Michael
Michael
August 18, 2010 1:29 am

“Krytstal will talk news mostly and some times that news may involve sports.”

This is terrible for what is an all sports station. I really hope this experiment doesn’t last long.

August 18, 2010 1:56 am

I remember when John Derringer did mornings before Marsden, Ken Daniels (the update guy at the time) would join John in studio if he was interviewing a sports guest. I don’t know if that’s possible, but maybe something like that would help Krystal?

Although personally, I’ve really enjoyed his show so far. TSM is right, it’s not a straight ahead sports show. But I’m fine with that for three hours out of the day. At least it’s entertaining and different. The Fan has been so boring and followed the same formula for so long that I’m glad their trying new things. I’m a huge sports fan too, but who REALLY wants to hear an interview with a 3rd line centre for the Predators? Or an interview with the Florida Panthers beat reporter? But to each his own – I can definitely see how some will hate this guy.

I’m surprised they managed to get Brady for that slot too. I wonder why he chose it over the drive home slot at 640? Maybe he knew they were winding down their sports coverage and wanted to get out? Who knows. If they can’t find a morning guy, I wonder if they’d move him in there?

August 18, 2010 9:03 am

Brady should be the mid morning guy. that time slot has been an opinion-wasteland and Brady would bring listeners in while pacifying Hogan’s existing audience. I can’t imagine any Hogan fans disliking Brady.

if they insist on keeping Krystal they should give him the morning show with some knowledgeable sports guy as a co-host.

in boston the morning show guys talk a lot of sports but they also pick controversial local and national news stories (mostly republican talking points) and bash away at them too. for example, they spent weeks on the Skip Gates/Cambridge Police Dept. story. it definitely adds something different to the show, and leaves deconstruction of last night’s red sox game to the 10-6 shows. there’s only so much arguing about the batting order you can do until the next game.

Stevenson
Stevenson
August 18, 2010 9:51 am

If he does more segments like the Stadium talk (less Hamilton bashing, takes away from the subject) and the Arena discussion with local politicians, then that will be a nice change.

Doug F
Doug F
August 18, 2010 6:08 pm

Mike is right
Move AK to the morning if they cant find someone better. I miss Hogan but I may be in the minority….he was the best interviewer other than MaCown. The rumours of Stellicks return makes me happy. Brady is good…no complaints about him whatsoever.

Blair
Blair
August 18, 2010 7:13 pm

I’ve listend for a few days now, and although I think more time is needed before I make my final opinion, I’m not liking Krystal at this point. I would go out of my way to listen to Hogan, but this guy is already getting on my nerves. I don’t mind a hour dedicated to one subject, but still having a hard time with his style.

I am really enjoying Brady. Good stories, great flow when talking with people. I will continue to listen to him for sure.

August 18, 2010 8:39 pm

Krystal as the morning is a really good idea. Especially paired with a sports guy.

I’ve always felt like they were going to end up with Mike Richards though. He’s on a Rogers station in Calgary (like Krystal in Halifax) and I believe he does amazing numbers out there.

FMT
FMT
August 18, 2010 11:47 pm

Stevenson example is why I have mixed feelings, if it’s a topic that is talked a lot or I don’t care much about it can be kind of fun seeing him muck up the issues like he does with his confrontation style. But for me the Hamilton stadium issue was the most interesting story of the year, and to hear Krystal input on the issue to “Hamilton stinks” really was pointless. Even though when Farroway came in they ended the show really well on the topic.

I am wondering Krystal with a “straight man” can do wonders, that is a pretty regular formula we see with double hosts, wacky guy and straight guy. The only time I remember them trying to do that recently was probably with Toth and Hogan, that didn’t work. But who knows.

Brady continues rolling with great shows, again with the balance of good sports talk and humor. I laughed when he said that most people work with co-workers who make similar wage range…. well except for the Fan. lol. His tennis discussion (and general non-hockey sports) why can’t we reach heights like other nations have diverse sports talent was a good topic. He seems to be also know how to utilize new media very well with a comfortable flow of comments send to him and even willing to self correct himself.

Brady is refreshing, you can tell he didn’t come from the ” Fan590 manufacturing formula” That he did come with a different style that he learned from his other jobs throughout his career. I know this sounds like very high praise but I haven’t heard as good a quality local sports talk guy since the early days I listened to sports and that’s McCown (who was hosting with Hunt) Shaulman impressed me like this as well, but that’s a long time ago. Well I guess that’s part compliment to Brady and other part how poor sports talk been the last decade or so lol.

Julian
Julian
August 19, 2010 12:44 am

Been travelling for leisure, so didn’t hear the debuts but have been catching up on some podcasts since getting back today.

I think TSM hits it well, Krystal will be fine as long as he avoids embarrassing himself interviewing athletes or coaches. I actually think with some research (and I can’t tell yet how much he really does — he muttered some stuff this morning about Favre’s stats being very good early last season for Minnesota, and he’d be right about that), he could pass for interviewing executives like Burke and Colangelo. His interview with Chan Gailey was an utter embarrassment however.

As for Brady, same as everyone’s been saying. Seemed nervy but not edgy his first hour of his first day, and has been superb ever since.

He’s hit the ground running and the guests have been maybe the best on the entire station. He had a rep at 640 for just not putting guests on for the sake of putting them on so the generics like Adam Proteau and Leo Rautins and Steve Buffery and many of the fools who make up the abysmal Sun TV Grill Room won’t ever be welcome. He’d rather do topics and engage listeners. Perfect, that has been what we’ve been missing. Don’t give me a guest because you can’t control a topic for 15 minutes at a time. And so many on 590 simply could not and cannot.

Interview with Arland Bruce was superbly entertaining today – I recommend it.

As for mornings, clearly it wasn’t in the cards, but if Kollins and his “big move” in AM Drive, doesn’t work out, he’s there ready to pounce. I’ve heard people speculate as to why he took the show there, but he’s commented all over the map that better hours as a young dad were vital, and he gets away from Watters. Have you heard Wilbur lately? He’s got one foot in the crypt. He’s aged dramatically on the air just in the last 6-7 months. 640 can’t not be noticing this.

As for his salary, I’m quite curious who is making more — Krystal or Brady. Brady was the heir to afternoon drive potentially at 640, though he’d never get paid what Watters somehow extorted! I have heard it was a hefty raise (50%) on what he was making at 640, but 640 still offered him more and he left.

I’ve pointed this out before, McCown has a year left, so he still needs to get paid and his ratings are as strong as ever. It defies logic, but he’s a legend. I would bet if Brady’s not doing mornings by then at the Fan, he’s potentially back at 640, free of Watters, free to make more $, and McCown is then into his 60s, although there’s no sign that McCown can’t do this for another decade. I have also noted I think he has to take a cut of some kind in these economic times, but if Brady doesn’t want that show and wants mornings instead, Kollins has no leverage. There’s no one who would want to replace McCown, talent-wise, and who wants that pressure?

As many have noted, his often awful co-hosts are what slow Bob down. For every Brunt, there’s a Kelley. For every Blair, there’s a Shannon, and I have turned on Bruce Arthur, I found him way too glib and way too insufferable in an Ed McMahon-esque role last time out with McCown. I’ll gear over to 550 Buffalo instantly when Shannon, Arthur, or Kelley are on, they are that bad.

Rob
Rob
August 19, 2010 1:39 am

I kind of enjoyed listening to Watters when he would come on Q107 in the mornings with Derringer. When I heard that he was getting three hours a day opposite McCown I thought that he would have a hard time stretching himself out for fifteen hours a week. I guess that is what ended up happening. Hayes is the AM640 Roger Lajoie. He went from being the supposed #2 with Derringer to almost saying nothing.

I agree with the posts above about Shannon. McCown is lagging a bit these days. It may be the summer and the absence of things happening, I’m not sure. It just seems that the deep and intelligent discussions are disappearing, although he did a couple of good interviews this week with Burke and his discussions about Hamilton’s new stadium was good. Hopefully Brunt will come back soon. Shannon needs to be displaced way down the list of cohosts.

I did hear Hayes do an interview with a reporter from New York yesterday about the Francisco Rodriguez story and whether the Mets would be able to get his contract essentially voided. I haven’t heard Bob discuss this (maybe he did) but I thought it was a good attempt by 640 to do something beyond the Blue Jays. There are 29 other teams.

Finally the Blue Jays pregame is just unlistenable. Wilner spends so much time stretching out the highlights of the previous game that I’ve just started tuning in at game time. Jerry has really weak interviews usually chock full of opportunities for opposing coaches and players to compliment Blue Jays players. More and more Ashby is the best thing about that threesome. His stories from his time in the game as well as some pretty good insight into events on the field make him a pleasure to listen to. Maybe it’s overexposure by this time in the year but Wilner is has really worn himself thin to me. I used to look forward to listening to JaysTalk after the show but I’d just as soon pass on it now.

JD
JD
August 19, 2010 7:56 am

On April 23, 1964, Ken Johnson of the Houston Colt 45’s became the only pitcher to lose a complete game no-hitter in nine innings when he was beaten 1-0 by Cincinnati. Three pitchers – Silver King (1890), Andy Hawkins (1990), and Matt Young (1992) – have lost eight-inning unofficial no-hitters

Last week (i think it was a game marcum was pitching) both pitchers had no hitters through one inning and the score was 1-1. I thought that was kind of funny.

joe
joe
August 23, 2010 5:05 pm

I just can’t stomach anymore hockey talk from Krystal and Brady. I have to tune out before they get to anything else. I’d rather listen to Roger or Armstrong ramble about something other than hockey.