Does Shock Radio Move You?

Had the pleasure of catching some Krystal nation this am. I say pleasure because that meant I didn’t have to hear bumbling, stumbling, rumbling Lumby. So Krystal’s topic this am was does Tiger Woods deserve the $100-500 million she is reportedly pulling down as a result of their divorce. Now, let’s cut to the chase, the answer is really very simple. When Tiger and his wife were married, Tiger had her sign a prenup so in the even this marriage went sideways Tiger could mitigate his loses to her. So, therefore the amount she should receive is whatever was in the contract. Not that hard.

However, Krystal decided to take the viewpoint that Mrs. Woods wasn’t entitled to nearly that much because she “ruined Tiger life” and “she never worked an honest day in her life.” Now we all know that is utter crap. I mean no one really believes that by virtue of being a nanny one hasn’t really worked an honest day in their life do they? Does anyone else really believe that Elin ruined Tigers life?? I know there are three sides to every story and all but………

Look, I say those things in jest. It doesn’t matter what your opinion are, the only opinion that matters here is Krystals. For my 2 cents, I don’t believe for one second the guy believes 1/10th of what comes out of his mouth. I mean caller after caller kept calling in and asking if he was indeed sane or nuts. Is that what sports radio has come down to? I mean, is that what we the audience really wants? Is the rule, lets say something controversial to get people ticked off enough to call in??????

Here’s my two cents. I don’t mind when someone takes the other side of an obvious argument to stir debate. It seems however that this isn’t the case here. What we have here is a guy who will say just about anything to garner a reaction. Personally, I don’t buy it in sports. Rush goes on his network in the USA and gets tons of people listening in, but that’s politics. Howard Stern got millions of listeners doing it but hey that was sex and entertainment. Is there not enough material out there (not of late in this town) to generate a real debate on sports without having to stoop to this level?????

The problem with this act in my opinion is that it becomes tired very quickly. It’s predictable and it’s fake. How do we start to gain comfort with a host who is merely saying shit for the sole purpose of getting people to call in. In sports I just don’t care enough to listen to what a shock jock may say on a given day. It’s just not that interesting. It’s worse. It’s predictable.

Meanwhile, someone tell me when the Buffalo Sabres GM became so interesting that he was on the fan590 not only on the morning show but also on PTS????

Speaking of the morning show, Jim Lang two thumbs up. Rumbling, bumbling and stumbling sidekick? Not so much. Seriously, did Eric Smith make him nervous or what? It was the worst session of the new morning show since inception. Was I the only one who kept hearing him refer to Smith as the Raptors Colored guy?????

Mccown is away this week and never, I say never has he been more sorely missed than today’s episode. Rob Faulds hosting with Mr Mcgoo. Oh my god. I drove by a gas station and seriously considered soaking myself before having to listen to another minute. Yesterday Faulds tried to defend Rogers, the parent company whole Sportsnet1 thing. Kind of hard to defend something when you have the facts wrong. Faulds, seems to forget the outrage from the 10 of us that cared when TSN2 was carrying Raptors game and none of us could get it.

I know it’s early, but I will say it again. Greg Brady show, right guy (who else should host the show by the same name) wrong time slot. Seriously, those of you who work a “traditional” work day, is there a harder time slot to listen to sports radio then 12-3?????

It’s been very quiet out of 640 these days. I’m hearing potential changes are on the horizon. What can or could they be???? Well I’ve heard everything from the early departure of one Wilbur Watters to potential changes to Leafs game coverage. Stay tuned- this book hasn’t been written.

Speaking of book- with labor day quickly approaching, so to does the start of the fall book in the radio advertising business. I can’t believe that doesn’t turn up the pressure on the fine folks at the fan 590 to find new blood for the dying morning slot – CLEAR!

With the Edmonton Oilers hiring of Jack Michaels to the position of radio play by play voice, perhaps that will end the chatter about potential candidates coming from similar roles around the league. Were told that some part timers in currently with a few clubs and even a tv guy in a US market applied for the Edmonton gig. Up until today when Michaels was hired the names apparently in line for the job were quite shocking.

Lastly, while a younger man I did a tour of duty with your Detroit Pistons (the IHL Vipers to be exact). While there I had the fortune to work with a good man, Matt Dobek, the head of PR for the Pistons. Dobek put in nearly 30 years with that organization- something that I think we all would agree is the clearest definition of dedicated employee. In any event, when the late owner of the Pistons died, turnover at the top occurred and as a result Dobek was allegedly summarily dismissed despite his 29 years of dedication. This past weekend Dobek took his life. It’s a reminder of just how ruthless and not fun the world of professional sports can be. Some of you may recall in the 1994 hockey work stoppage Wayne Gretzky led a team of NHLPAers over to Europe to play while the league was on hiatus. the 99 All Stars had a warm up game against my Detroit Vipers. Dobek handled the PR duties for that game and many others in the short yet very memorable life of the Vipers. He mentored many who are currently head of PR around the leagues, including I believe the head of PR for the Tampa bay lightning, Bill Wickett. Anyways, As mom always said, it’s all fun and games until someone pokes their eye out. Rest in peace Matt

@yyzsportsmedia

C4SOUND
C4SOUND
August 24, 2010 10:32 pm

After today’s Andrew Krystal show I am seriously considering changing the station away from Fan 590. There is provocative and there is just plain ignorant talk. Today’s was of the ignorant type.

August 24, 2010 11:06 pm

Krystal is a troll on the radio. it’s the same act as when he was on 640. I’ve said it before: i have no interest in argument just for the sake of being controversial. that applies to him and to his callers. listening to uninformed debate is just not interesting radio. hopefully someone realizes this before too long.

Sean
Sean
August 24, 2010 11:20 pm

Ill give it time. That Said, Greg Brady, outside of his random Detroit references, has been great.

Interesting that Jeff Marek is co hosting the morning show tomorrow.

August 25, 2010 12:32 am

I think I’m in the minority, but I’ve actually enjoyed Krystal’s show. His lack of sports knowledge is a deterrent, and he’s definitely playing the role of ‘asshole’.

But his show is really entertaining. It’s such a stark contrast to how The Fan had become when hosts just seemed like they were mailing it in. McCown often plays a defiant ass too. It’s just an act to create entertaining radio. I’m OK with that, within reason (I find American conservative talk radio to be disgusting). Krytsal hasn’t said anything THAT vile or offensive so far I don’t think, so I’m fine with his show at this point.

Brady’s definitely been good. Maybe they’ll move him to 1-4 if they move McCown back to the old slot (if that helps).

If you have trouble listening to the shows live, podcasts are really, really convenient. The last two weeks, that’s really the only way I’ve been listening to The Fan.

August 25, 2010 12:47 am

The next few ratings books will be fascinating, given all of the recent changes at 590 and 640…………….the ratings for Krystal’s show will be particularly fascinating…………..I’m sure there are some people who enjoy hearing a show that brings on two callers at the same time so that they can yell at each other, but I am not one of them

Leo
Leo
August 25, 2010 8:35 am

I totally agree – i got my first dose of krystal this morning – the two minutes he did with lumby before starting his show and he started in with the tiger bit. I could immediately tell where it was going and what he was doing – so predictable. I won’t be listening.

unfortunately i can’t listen 12-3 and I really enjoyed brady on 640…..he’d be good as a morning guy…..

Julian
Julian
August 25, 2010 9:08 am

It’s patently obvious Kollins didn’t know where to look after firing Stellick and Landry – and that’s fine, those two were unbearable.

He knew where he wanted to go with Krystal and Brady and both are going to find their audiences, but given some of the fluctuations in the market, I do think they’d reassess if it was possible.

Daren Millard can’t hold Greg Brady’s jock in terms of depth of knowledge, entertainment value, or interviewing skill. I still think Millard is a small-market talent who just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

I’m not saying Brady would be “perfect” for mornings, but that’s his mentality, and you’d need to find the right partner. I heard him with Cox yesterday, and they had great interaction, talk about two guys that have no issue piling on when other media do stupid things. But I am worried the MacLean/Brady pairing won’t work terribly well.

Either way, it’s naive to think Brady will do 12-3 for years and years there. This is a springboard to a bigger job there, or a return to 640.

Krystal is hit and miss – yes, the Elin bit was cliched and predictable, but he’s been fun being unpredictable with other guests.

Either way, Faulds, Shannon, all the retread hacks need a quick ticket off the station. Nothing is holding it back more.

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
August 25, 2010 9:14 am

I have pretty much avoided sportstalk radio of late, but happened to catch Krystal’s Tiger/Elin bit, and btw, the only reason I even had the FAN on at that time was because you did say to give him a chance, which I did, but will no longer.

I have never been a fan of shock radio, and the stunts that Krystal is pulling, including this one which was so blatantly obvious he fabricated, just proves to me that it will be the last time I listen to that jerk, unless the dial is set to 590 and I have him on for two seconds before switching the dial.

Daniel seems to be the only one so far, unless I am missing someone, who is an outright supporter of Krystal. I already predicted that he will be losing the bulk of the FAN’s current listeners, and the ones he makes up with his shock radio schtick will not come close to meeting the old numbers, but time will tell if I am right or not.

You are dead-on that sports radio listeners and shock radio just don’t mix. Krystal’s act is insulting to real sports fans, and as you previously mentioned, his shock radio act is best served further up the dial, not on an all-sports station, even one that is partially moving away from 24/7 sports.

I never listened to Greg Brady on 640, as the FAN has always been my go to station, and the more I hear Brady, the more I love this guy. What a breath of fresh air, and in relation to Krystal, he looks even that much better. Too bad the lead-in audience will suck off of Krystal, and I wish he had a better time slot.

Ron
Ron
August 25, 2010 9:36 am

When will the new boss at the Fan wake up and realize how utterly painful it is for the rest of us to listen to John Shannon on a regular basis. This guy is horrible. His knowledge of sports is extremely limited, and he spends an inordinate amount of time name-dropping and defending his former corporate buddies at the NHL and elsehwere. That interview with Keith Law today was embarassing. And listening to Rob Faulds is like listening to white bread being toasted. McCown can’t come back soon enough.

Sam
Sam
August 25, 2010 9:44 am

I don’t care for Krystal. Re Brady in the mornings… I wonder if he was offered this but turned it down – I mean who really wants to get up at 4 am and in bed by 9pm or 10?

That Faulds / Shannon bit with Law re Bautista was horrific. There’s NO way Shannon would have gone on like that if McCown were in the captain’s chair. McCown just would have cut him off, even if Shannon had the cojones to go there (note – he does not).

August 25, 2010 9:53 am

DJF tattooed suspected racist John Shannon for his vitriolic ambush of Law

if i’m Law, i have a long chat with McCown about not appearing on his show again without an apology from suspected racist John Shannon. Law is a bigwig and doesn’t need PTS to boost his profile in Canada.

what is it with fat old media types talking way out of their depths this week?

Ron
Ron
August 25, 2010 10:50 am

I don’t get it…does Shannon have pictures on someone? Why is he still on the air there? Surely the new PD must know that most listeners can’t stand him. I’m surprised Keith Law didn’t just hang up yesterday. I can think of a dozen Toronto sports media guys I’d rather hear on that show than Shannon.

FMT
FMT
August 25, 2010 11:42 am

What an absolute disaster Shannon was in the Keith interview, so John Shannon a regular co-host of the leading national sports talk show just admit that he “protects” hockey interest live on national radio. How the F doesn’t that get you automatic fired from your job. I’ve come here and called out radio guys who “protect their sport” over the truth, well Shannon at least came out and just admit it, not sure if it makes it any better.

Is it possible to agree with almost everybody (I guess mostly Julian). I found the Fan to be very generic before with it’s style of the hosts so at least it’s somewhat fresh. But the argumentative for the sake of being controversial wears a little thin after a while. For me he is in a lucky time spot as there really is nothing for me personally that I listen to at that time. Sometimes he has good topics but too many times his “act” gets in the way

Brady is even better than expected, great mix of humor, conversation and information. His mixing of topical discussion and fun topics is a fresh mix. I’m a big Rome fan and haven’t listened to him since Brady came on. (it is kind of a pain that a couple of my favorites are on at the same time) He’s not concerned to be critical of the establishment (either the sport or those covering it) even though I thought Brady was soft on Cox (great out of context sentence)

The only concern I have is if they take Brady show during hockey season and have him talk hockey 66% of the time with hockey central as I’ve heard speculation of both an hour or a couple of hour show. That would be a waste, that would be taking a great starting pitcher who got a bunch of pitches in his arsenal and turn him into a middle relief guy who only gets left-handers out.

August 25, 2010 12:38 pm

Ugh. Yeah that Shannon – Law thing was brutal. Law did a great job of defending himself though.

I agree FMT. I hope they don’t push Brady too far into the HC at noon format (which I found pretty boring). He’s great as a guy who can go all over the place including non sports.

Haha – Julian, you’re already predicting he might be going back to 640? He’s only been on 590 a week! 640 might not even have sports talk anymore in another few months.

August 25, 2010 12:56 pm

I don’t think I’m an outright supporter of Krystal. I have enjoyed his show, but I’m still not completely decided. I am getting a little bored with the fact that 2/3 of each show just seem to be generic, low stakes hockey topics (can womens hockey work, when should kids start hitting in hockey etc).

August 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Daniel – i don’t think you need to justify yourself. As we’ve seen since Kollins (sort of) cleaned house there is a wide range of opinion on the merits of the various hosts. consensus doesn’t make any opinion stronger.

i think the point many people, yourself included, are raising is that once you remove the disingenuous controversial opinions all that is left is boring hockey talk by someone who knows less about it than you.

Hogan was as vanilla as possible and Kollins seems to have overcompensated in the other direction with Krystal without solving the underlying problem of boring radio.

August 25, 2010 1:18 pm

Good points, Mike.

Cam
Cam
August 25, 2010 1:53 pm

Must admit that while I don’t tune into the Fan before noon I am still not sold on Brady. There are glimpses of strong shows but I have not moved far off the initial impression that it really does depend on who the guest is.

I do have to say though that I was disappointed in the interview with Damien Cox. It could have been a truly great segment but Brady was more than soft on him. He only ventured close to controversy once when he asked Cox if he now felt compelled to talk with Bautista. I read Jerod Morris’ Blog about the Cox article on the Midwest Sports Fans site and it is interesting. This coupled with the PPP vs The Sun Issue could have been interesting radio about the shrinking gap between the blogosphere and MSM. After hearing Law face off with Shannon, it would be more than interesting to hear Law have a go at Cox. For my two cents – I get that it was an opinion piece, but it needed far more facts and fewer insinuations when questioning anyone’s integrity as this article did when it opened up the fact he is in an arbitration year.

Have to agree with Mike (in Boston) that I don’t think Kollins is addressing the underlying issue of boring radio. I am not in the industry so I don’t know but to what extent are the producers etc responsible for the format, line-up, etc for the hosts? Is this where more change should happen to change the format and expand beyond the range of expert analysts?

Kitty
Kitty
August 25, 2010 2:54 pm

Mr. MaGoo clearly has pics of Mr.Kollins trying to push a farm animal through a fence (fill in your own thoughts bahh)
Mr. Kollins will be gone before Christmas
ANYONE DISAGREE!!!!!

Pat MaGroin
August 25, 2010 3:02 pm

Rob Faults & John Senile are un- listenable.

R3000
R3000
August 25, 2010 3:05 pm

Well done TSM, and I am in total agreement. I have basically had the FAN on constantly since ’93, but I’m turning it off with ever increasing regularity these days. I don’t listen from 12 to 3 so can’t comment, but other than that about all that’s left is the Jays and PTS, and only when it’s some combination of McCown/ Brunt/ Blair/ Grange/ Arthur.
Was this week the worst ever for the station?
Krystal’s contrarianism shtick, particularly the Woods segment. He can’t even sound like he believes what he’s saying.
Faulds defending SNET One without apparently even understanding that most people can’t even get it, even if they wanted it and were prepared to pay!!
The Law/ Shannon debacle. Shannon is always ill informed, but this was just embarrassing.

I think I really can’t listen to it before three (or hopefully four) anymore, and God help us when the baseball season ends.

Thanks.

ps I’ve heard that Cox may still be masturbating in public; we should ask his bosses to comment on the rumours.

FMT
FMT
August 25, 2010 3:44 pm

I wouldn’t put Shannon on Kollins lap (now there’s a picture) Shannon falls under Friend of Bob, where you can co-host or at times actually host a leading national sports talk show with no sports radio resume to speak of or general sports knowledge. But you were a loyal “insider” in a sports league who give Bob some tips so he repays you by putting you on air when you are obviously over your head. Doesn’t hurt that you are a fun golf buddy either

That a very good question R3000. I am wondering if Damien is a skinhead, I mean i have no proof he is and there is no connection of him being in that group, but he does have a shave head. That is a connection Right? I am just asking the questions (as Damien said he was) no matter how unfounded and nothing to base it on except a single circumstance (having a good homerun year or having a shaved head)

Gone Zo
Gone Zo
August 25, 2010 4:05 pm

just tuned into PTS with faulds and shannon
after 1 minute I wanted to run to the kitchen and down a bottle of pine-sol but, I thought I would give it a chance
after 4 minutes I chose to TURN OFF and go outside and listen to my neighbor try to start his 8 year old rusted lawn mower with no gas in it at least that will be some form of entertainment !!

August 25, 2010 4:43 pm

My friend Daniel is confusing me a bit.

He says he is not an “outright supporter” of Krystal………..but in the past 10 days he has posted on this site things like this:

“I’ve really enjoyed his show so far”

“honestly, I like the show a lot”

“I heard Krystal’s first show and I thought he was great”

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
August 25, 2010 4:44 pm

It will be interesting to see if the comments above that I almost totally agree with are representative of the typlical loyal Fan listeners that are completely disenchanted with the garbage programming and personalities we are being force-fed.

I can not wait to see the ratings from the next book that covers the summer period, and although Kollins likely will downplay it as a transitional period, I imagine that inside there will be very serious concerns already about the choices that were made.

It is sad for me, as I used to be able to almost without exception be able to leave Fan 590 as my go to station, and only change it occasionally. I am not only at the point now where the Fan is not my go to station, but I find myself not listening to radio anywhere near as much at all.

I love the medium of radio, and I will likely have two choices. Listen to less radio or find other radio outlets i.e. Montreal sports radio or ESPN to fill the void.

Julian
Julian
August 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Ratings will be tossed directly into the garbage I would bet at 590 and 640. Too many sub and B-level/C-level hosts. Howard Berger did 3 hours by himself a few days, enough said.

The fall book starts next Monday, that’s when it matters, not to mention the awful (and yes, Kollins knows damn well it’s awful – he has to) morning show will hurt all the shows and timeslots.

Summer ratings will have no impact whatsoever on any future decision that gets made, but it is real interesting to see if 640 rolls into the fall with Bill Hayes and Bill Watters. They want a young audience and were getting that, according to TSM, almost matching McCown at times (umm…Brady factor), they have no shot now with a guy almost 60, and a guy almost 70. It’s radio suicide, but if it lets them get a new afternoon show, they’re all for it.

As for some of you predicting Kollins will be canned. Do you think he came from Kitchener with no job security. I predict he and Brady and yes, even Krystal are here at least 2 1/2 years no matter what they do. None of the guys would have come here, Kollins and Krystal moving, and Brady rejecting a chance to do afternoons without Watters in a couple years, without proper money and job security.

All of them got sizable raises. Otherwise, why move?

cam
cam
August 25, 2010 6:57 pm

While I agree that it only makes sense they would go to the Fan for an increase in $$$, it will boil down to simple employment economics, remember Conan O’Brien?

If the comments here and with the recent Zelkovich article are any indication, lost ad revenues from a shrinking audience may be a real possibility into the fall.

If the cost of keeping them is increased through lost advertising revenues and lower contribution to Rogers’ bottom line, then I am willing to bet they will be gone. In this instance you probably start with architect of the decisions.

Ovais
Ovais
August 25, 2010 9:23 pm

Really liking the Krystal show. Remember we’re in the dead of off seasons right now. Once the big sports return (particularly hockey) he’ll have the lines jammed. He isnt trying as hard as his first week on the air, which has made for a better show. I still find him WAY more interesting than Hogan or the other fan broadcasters who were recently canned.

Michael
Michael
August 26, 2010 12:07 am

Andrew Krystal is absolutely brutal. I went from listening to the Fan all day long at work to barely listening at all. If I don’t turn on the Fan when I get into my office in the morning I tend not to put it on at all til I am on my way home. I’ve tried several times with Krystal but I just can’t stomach it.

Where are you guys getting your sport fixes from now? I’ve been downloading a bunch of podcasts to fill the void.

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
August 26, 2010 9:50 am

I also am looking for alternatives for Andrew Krystal’s time slot. Like Michael I am also curious if anybody has some good sports podcasts to download that are current in that time slot or other live alternatives.

I put Krystal on and in 20 seconds had to turn him off. I have never had this before on the Fan, and I would love Hogie to be back in this time slot like it used to be, even though I picked my spots with him, but that is not happening.

Slim Whtman
August 26, 2010 12:32 pm

Just got wind of topics for next week Fan 9AM-12
Monday-Who do you hate more Habs or Leafs?
Tuesday-Does Toronto need more Cricket fields?
Wednesday-Who do you hate more Leafs or Habs?
Thursday-Why do you hate your brother,brother?
Friday-Why does everyone hate the Leafs and Habs?

Gripping Radio

August 26, 2010 3:48 pm

hysterical. because as we all know, if you want nuanced debate on complicated issues then talk radio is just the right format.

i was once listening to a political talk radio show (forget which station) during the Mike Harris era in Toronto. someone called in and said he wasn’t going to vote for Harris because of his environmental policy. when queried about it by the host, the caller claimed that the smog in toronto had become much worse since Harris took office. he was sure of it because he could see it from his balcony.

my point is that callers tend to reflect the IQ of the host, and how well he or she is able to frame and motivate an issue. Krystal is about as unreflective as it gets and it makes for cringe inducing discussion.

on an unrelated note, TSM, have you considered asking the producer of PTS to appear as a guest? that might make for some interesting discussion on the behind the scenes aspect of a successful radio show.

Pat
Pat
August 26, 2010 8:29 pm

For those who can’t wait for less Mr.Magoo there is some hope. Brunt will be back shortly from his summer in Newfoundland. Bobcat and Brunt is entertaining radio.

I used to listen all day. Now, I don’t listen to Lumby or Krystal. One is boring and the other just trying to piss people off.

I turn the radio on to the Fan at noon and it goes off at 6pm when Bobcat is done.

Kollins should have had somebody ready to take Landry and Stellick’s spot. Not to fire them and then bring in Lumby. They have lost alot of their audience and may not be able to bring it back.

The Fan is a sports radio station. I want to listen to sports, not news. Kollins says they will be topical if news needs to be discussed, then they will do that. If I want news, I go to 680 or 1010.

Andrew
Andrew
August 26, 2010 9:35 pm

Looking for a mostly sports alternative from 10 * 12, try

You can never get enough Mr. Tony.

Sam
Sam
August 26, 2010 9:43 pm

Podcast – The Best of the Dan Patrick Show

August 26, 2010 11:23 pm

Mike S – I have definitely enjoyed Krystals shows so far. But I wouldn’t say I’m 100% sold. I like how entertaining he is as a host, but I am sort of bored with his topic choices thus far. As Mike in Boston said, it’s either boring hockey topics or really generic sports stuff. But I’m willing to give some time.

TSM may have been right last week when he suggested Krystal would be better off on a talk station. I almost think I’d prefer it if Krystal just allotted 1/3 of his show to non sports topics, and then talked actual sports stuff with the other 2/3. Right now he’s doing all sports, but it feels half assed.

But, like I said, I think he’s fun to listen to, so I’m willing to give him time to work it out and see where the show goes.

pudge72
pudge72
August 27, 2010 5:49 am

Yesterday (the 26th show) was the perfect example of why Krystal has lost me as a listener of the Fan in the morning.

I drive from London to Mississauga area about 7 or 8 times a month for work and usually listen to the Fan when I can (not the 6 – 9 am show for the past year and a half as it has been hideous) and I have TRIED to give Krystal a chance as he does bring a different dynamic/approach to his show that seems to at least be unique for sports radio in T.O. However, I have found him off-putting as he has been definitely entering the right-wing, American shock-jock, Rush Limbaugh territory where you can tell that he is saying something just to stir the pot and/or listen to himself talk.

Anyways, I started to catch a segment of the show today that started to vaguely sound like a potentially interesting/informative discussion on the provincial doctor’s association stance against MMA in Ontario. It seemed initially like it would be in depth & intelligent debate with a doctor from NY state on at the same time as Showdown Joe Ferraro.

The doctor was making the (I think very valid) argument that doctors’ by and large feel MMA should be banned as it is one of the few sports where the sole objective of the sport is to cause bodily harm to your opponent. He even stated that he feels that doctor’s have dropped the ball in not applying the same pressure in trying to get boxing banned for the same reason. His initial back and forth with Krystal also included the point that boxing and MMA put a greater strain on the taxpayer due to the healthcare costs in Ontario going up in order to treat each combatant from each fight.

Krystal then proceeds to berate the doctor by calling him a fascist overlord or some similarly ridiculous name that made it obvious that he hadn’t been considering the doctor’s points at all, and that he was just waiting to drop the catch phrase du jour on this guy in order to get a reaction.

What started out as a potentially interesting topic with two guests who would seemingly defend their respective positions intelligently turned into a five year old calling someone names. At this point, I shut off the radio, and I will be very suprised if I give this guy another listen ever as I have no interest whatsoever in listening to an American-style loudmouth who appeals only to the lowest common denominator…do you get what I’m saying “Brother”? (another ‘fingernails-on-the-blackboard’ technique is ticking me off about Krystal).

As has been suggested by others (including, I believe, TSM), I have found Brady to be awesome, though feel he would be perfect as the morning show host if he chose to take that timeslot. If he stays on from noon-3 pm though, he would make the noon – 2pm ‘hockeycentral’ overkill actually bearable, and possibly enjoyable. I can tell already that the difference between him and Millard will be night and day.

Thank you for letting me rant just a little… 🙂

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
August 27, 2010 8:10 am

Thanks for the recount Pudge72. I have written Krystal off for all of the reasons you stated. Another additional reason for me is his voice as well as how he projects it. I found it immediately very grating and his style which is so inflammatory just brings it out that much more. It is now evident to me that Krystal’s audience will need to come from completely new listeners, and not from the ones that are certainly in my demographic i.e. middle-aged. If the Fan is looking to attract the 18-34 demographich and completely disregard me then that is just the way it is. Will the younger crowd want to listen to him though? Time will tell, but there is no doubt that my contemporaries have abandoned ship with his act, which is both insulting and tries to mask a complete deficiency of sports knowledge at the same time.

pudge72
pudge72
August 27, 2010 8:20 am

Raptors Devotee…I am exiting the 18-34 demo in a couple of weeks, and as you can tell, I will not be a part of the “new” audience, though as the oldest child, maybe I wasn’t part of that demographic in the first place. 🙂 I agree with you that if an audience does follow this guy, it will likely not be made up of too many people who liked Mike Hogan or other similar hosts who, while not flashy, were at least all about the sports.

pudge72
pudge72
August 27, 2010 8:26 am

The sad thing is that from an listening enjoyment standpoint, I don’t mind the the change of pace that someone like Krystal brings on occasion (i.e. the political angle of a sports issue)…it’s just that it has been done in such a childish and derivative manner that I don’t want to waste my time listening to it…I think this helps to explain in part McCown’s consistent appeal in that he doesn’t do the standard athlete interview, but will look at a sports issue from an intelligent, alternative, angle. That’s my three cents for the day.

August 27, 2010 8:34 am

unless of course there are some Buffalo Bills linemen in town to promote the “Rogers Bills in Toronto” series. then McCown can’t wait to have the guys in studio for an in-depth conversation.

i never thought McCown could be bought, but his shilling for Rogers is pretty transparent. he also interviewed Khadri for no apparent reason recently.

pudge72
pudge72
August 27, 2010 8:41 am

Fortunately, M(IB), I missed these particular segments. From what you heard, did these bits seem genuine, or would the BiT interviews have been conducted as a condition of McCown’s contract (i.e. a concession to being the only on air guy between 6 am & 6 pm that didn’t get the pink slip). I’m not trying to be an apologist for McCown, but these do seem to be unusual for him.

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
August 27, 2010 8:51 am

Mike, with McCown I have a feeling that he is constantly at odds with Kollins on what he can and can’t do, which is no different that when he was reporting to Millman, but the two of them had such a deep mutual respect for each other that they were always able to make it work. Plus, Millman to a fault did everything he could to allow his on air staff to operate in their own comfort zone.

The next step, in addition to some good old-fashioned Rogers shilling will be for Kollins to tell Bob that he can’t continue to have his geriatric buddies on with him. I imagine that the seeds have already been planted on this one, and once the morning shift is established, we will see the young guard fill the void.

McCown can only be pushed so far, and I can see him already advising Kirk to look into some other options for him. Satellite radio uncensored for McCown where he can say exactly what is on his mind could work but by doing so in Canada he would likely lose the audience and the guests.

What I see happening if it ever gets off the ground is McCown leaving Rogers and working for TSN radio, hosting the drive show. Talk about an ideal situation for him and for us. Working on the #1 network by far would also allow him to take it to the next level. TSN would unlike Sportsnet, force Bob to use actual talent and not his buddies. My worry is that Bob without his buddies would make it seem too much like work versus just shooting the breeze.

When it comes down to it, yes, Bob follows the money, but for him to be Bob, the reality is he wants his buddies i.e. entourage around him, and without them he can’t be Bob. This is the dilemma for us loyal McCown listeners. We can’t get Bob without his buddies, and for that reason I pick my spots when listening to Bob, i.e. with Brunt(who is a buddy and awesome) plus Arthur, Blair, & Grange.

The 3-6 time slot also does not work for me. The 4-7 slot made so much for sense. Even 4-6:30 would work better, still allowing 30 minutes of pre-game show, which is more than sufficient.

August 27, 2010 12:27 pm

I don’t think McCown is a shill for Rogers. He’s been a huge critic of the Bills in Toronto and Sportsnet One.

Funny Andrew Krystal note: I was working in Halifax this summer and happened to catch Krtstal’s last show out there. Total love in. The mayor and premier both called in to say how much he’d be missed etc. His show out there seemed very political, and there was a lot about city building and Halifax specifically.

August 27, 2010 12:57 pm

Raptors Devotee – yeah I agree. McCown should go until at least 6:30. I’m a huge Jays fan, and I love the radio team, but the one hour pregame is too much.

Throw McCown more cash and see if he’ll do 3 – 6:30? Or maybe Brady would do 12 – 3:30 and have McCown do 3:30 to 6:30..

R3000
R3000
August 27, 2010 1:44 pm

Great discussion everybody!

Hey Rogers: Are you lurking?
Cuz ya know oughta be…

As for alternates, me I enjoy ESPN except for Colin Cowshit, at which point I usually listen to one of the city stations. New York sports radio is always FUN as well, and that’s kind of the point of the toystore, isn’t it? (For example, on Friday nights Bob Valvanno does a weekly round up of giveaways at ballparks, with critical commentary!)

neoen
neoen
August 28, 2010 1:04 am

I am hoping more and more by the day that TSN Radio does launch in the next year, with McCown as the driving nail. What a statement that would be for a radio launch!

With Faulds showing he brutal his entertainment value is, and myself not being a ‘huge’ blair fan (i find his voice sometimes boring), would the FAN ever look at Milard as a fill-in for Bob when he’s gone on holidays. He may not be the best, but wow, he would be WAY better than Faulds. I’d even take Mike Toth, and his 1 or 2 stories that go off on a wild tangent that nobody cares about.