Sports Radio Quick Hits

So word is about that the fine folks at 640 have indeed settled on a permanent co host for Bill Watters and the I Hate My Former Bosses Who Fired Me radio show. As we told you several weeks ago the man getting the gig is no other than Bill Purple Hayes.

Hayes was a regular fill in over the last little while and has manned the mic for a large chunk of time in the post Brady era. Hayes, it is said was congratulated on air this morning on Q107 for the new gig.

Couple of quick thoughts. Personally I think this cements the banter that 640 is going to try and get out from the Watters contract. Industry sources rumble that Wilburs deal pays him over 400k annually and he has 2 years left. That will be a nice buyout for Brad’s pops and the husband of the dutchess don’t ya think? (Assuming the numbers are close to what is rumored).

If 640 had gone out and brought in a name, or a young up and comer then I would think differently. This sounds to me it was done to at worst maintain the status quo. At best Wilbur decides to move on.

Personally, I’m shocked that 640 couldn’t or wouldn’t replace Brady with someone similar in age with the same approach. The fact that they didn’t or wouldn’t is really surprising. The sun doesn’t set on Brady, but there are other guys out there who will excite an audience. Steve Koules, Gord Stellick (who’s coming back to the fan for leafs pre and post) to name just a few. Hell they could have hired norm rumack.

As of around 4pm Don Kollins told me that he had yet to formally offer the morning job to anyone. Could that have changed after that? I guess. My sense is Kollins has his guy but wants to ensure that everything is lined up to get it done.

Is it me or is Jeff Blair a solar system upgrade over Rob Faulds?

I don’t want to beat a dead horse but, Jeff Lumby morning show host???

Many have asked me about the nonsense coming out of the NHL today that at least 3 NHL teams want to ban bloggers from arenas. This is just plain silly. The NHL is the only league that is gate driven. There are no other major revenues to teams coming other than fans. Bloggers are fans and for reasons I can’t explain us techies like hockey. Personally I think the onus should be on the team to do due diligence on the bloggers on a case by case basis. If a blogger is legitimate, let them in. If they’re a punk kid looking for free tickets don’t. The. NHL doesn’t have the luxury of pissing off a strong group of fans and going after bloggers does just that.

I’m off to vegas next week, over under on the Raptors is 27 win. Which way am I betting?

Things I won’t miss about the summer of 2010: NHL free agency, Ilya gate, the hockey summit, kaberle talk, athletes on peds, hockey players at the olympics.

Was at Blue Rodeo tonight, man they’re predictably good.

How great has Entourage been lately? Ari and Mark Cuban talking Turtles tequila, how great is that??

More throughout the day tomorrow

Written on a BB pardon typos and grammar issues

Sean
Sean
August 27, 2010 1:01 am

If your in contact with Kollins, ask him what he was thinking with Lumby lol.

August 27, 2010 1:35 am

Bruce Dowbiggin is saying a new host may be announced this week, and that he’s ‘sports oriented’:

Any ideas who it is, TSM? You’ve been pretty bang on so far.

I agree with you about 640. Hayes is a pretty big downgrade from Brady. Hard to believe they really think those two will make a move on McCown at this point.

By the way – Dowbiggin brought up the possibility of a TSN sports radio network. That would be kind of interesting..

August 27, 2010 2:43 am

If TSM can give hislist of things he won’t miss about the summer of 2010 then I guess I can too:

1) Lumby on 590
2) Faulds on 590
3) 27 straight days of Lajoie on 590

gunner4413
gunner4413
August 27, 2010 8:13 am

The worst thing about Lumby being on in the morning and that other idiot on after him is ,I do not put the Fan on at all .I have been listening to ESPN radio on XM!You think the Fan does Hockey all the time well ESPN is all about NFL all the time!But atleast they are talking sports and not insight on new areanas in T.O from an ahole who only thinks his opinion matters!I just want pro sports talk from guys who have a honest opinion.Mccown might be brash but at least he knows what he is talking about!They better hit a home run with the new morning show because rite now this one time loyal listener has moved on!!!

Aurora Barry
Aurora Barry
August 27, 2010 9:12 am

I prefer Blair to even McCowan, he always gets to the hot point.

Rob Faulds is the John McDonald of Sportsnet.

Ron
Ron
August 27, 2010 9:33 am

I heard Jeff Blair mention that McCown’s off all next week as well. This is one loyal Fan listener who’ll be tuned out next week.
On a side note: can we petition the station to say goodbye to John Shannon?

lt67
lt67
August 27, 2010 9:44 am

Mike S….please sign my name beside your list…I’m with you.

On Krystal….I’ve been off work this week so I’ve had a chance to listen. He’s better than he was the first couple of days but he’s still not for me. It’s sad to say but I’ll bet the numbers support him…oh well.

On Watters….$400K? Really? I know most TSM readers don’t like him…I’m okay with him…but $400K…unreal. I can see guys like Deringer or McCown making big bucks ($500K+)…but Watters? Wow….that surprised me big time.

Blair has to be the fill in for McCown…Faulds is brutal.

CD
CD
August 27, 2010 9:54 am

Jeff Blair and Bruce Arthur (and of course Brunt) are really great on the Fan with MCCown. I wish one of them could be convinced to sign on in the morning slot.

In a summer where I have barely listened to the Fan(unusual for me as it used to be on all the time in the car and I have resorted to breaking out my old CDs…INXS, Soundgarden, What’s the Story Morning Glory? and Jesus Jones anyone?)… due to the aweful programming I am really happy to hear that Gord will be back. He was always sort of the face of the Fan for me (along with McCown). I used to love when he was teamed with Damien, Barb, or Eric back in the day. The morning slot never really worked for him…but he seems to be very well liked in the profession and will be a great person to run the Leafs pregame stuff.

I have to say that I have really tried to like Krystal, but I just can’t get into him. I never realized how much I liked Mike Hogan. He really did have a pretty broad sports knowledge that is sorely missed in a tough time slot.

I am sad though that I can’t listen to Brady though due to being at work. Love him and think he is so funny. His interview with Anders Hedberg last week was priceless talking about how all the NHL players of the era where jealous of Hedberg and Ulf Nilsson because they were better looking than ABBA (he made it sound funnier) was good stuff. And talking to Shanny about Lost was also pretty funny too. Here is hoping one day he gets a good timeslot!

Al from Burlington
Al from Burlington
August 27, 2010 10:38 am

I was stuck in traffic yesterday afternoon and tuned into the Fan around 5:30. I have never heard Shannon before, but now I understand the hate.
When he went off trying to rip corporations for not supporting minor hockey and spending to make it affordable instead of spending all advertising money on large media events like the Olympics, it was laughable and embarrassing to listen to.

Al from Burlington
Al from Burlington
August 27, 2010 10:41 am

Does anyone know if Hogan/Shultz will be doing Football Fridays anywhere on air during the NFL season?

pudge72
pudge72
August 27, 2010 11:46 am

Hey Aurora Barry…don’t insult Johnnie Mac like that!

Al…Mr. Magoo is becoming legendary in the degrees of craptitude that he is acheiving. It’s too bad that Jim Kelley is ailing because it would be soooo much better to have him instead of Shannon.

Pat MaGroin
August 27, 2010 12:26 pm

Mr. Magoo (shannon) has plain and simple just become an embarrassment to the Fan/590 and himself.

August 27, 2010 12:32 pm

my recollection of Hayes on 590 was that he would begin to laugh at his own jokes while telling them. so not only was the punchline predictable and lame, it also took forever to arrive while Hayes caught his breath.

it’s just stunning to me how much recycling and retention goes on in toronto radio. it’s as if PDs don’t know how to listen as a fan, and instead rely on industry credentials to make hiring decisions. there’s a reason why these people were let go or expendable. it’s not because they are good at their chosen profession.

i’ve been banging the drum for a 2nd all-sports radio station for years. the FAN has dominated due to lack of competition rather than superior programming. the success of the Brady show vs. PTS showed that good sports alternatives will get ratings. i would really like to hear from some industry people as to the real reasons why the TEAM failed, and if it could be resurrected in some format. in any case, the FAN seems vulnerable right now given its recent overhaul. it’s a great chance for TSN or the Score to branch out and claim some of the shipwrecked sports fans.

August 27, 2010 12:56 pm

Glad Blair is back. I really enjoy him. He gives strong, smart sports opinions. Faulds is just fluff.

Steve5
Steve5
August 27, 2010 2:14 pm

Hayes is an awesome voice-over guy, but I cannot take the constant stammering with every question- he sounds intimidated by everyone he interviews. Who is he related to???? How does he keep finding work????

Tommy D.
Tommy D.
August 27, 2010 3:08 pm

I really enjoy Jeff Blair…intelligent and thoughtful. Not the smoothest radio presence, but he is real.

On the other hand, Rob Faulds? Hearing him trying to defend the Sportsnet 1 debacle was brutal.

John Shannon as a once-in-a-while co-host is OK. He just isn’t interesting enough to be on everyday.

After a few so-so seasons, Entourage has gotten it’s mojo back this season.

Riddler
August 27, 2010 4:52 pm

WATTERS 400K ???? OMG 640 payen him that???
So, how much is Johnny Carson (McCown) making
In the New Community College radio North Bay (no slight to North Bay) 590???

DJR
August 27, 2010 5:03 pm

just have far to much time on my hands
wondering what will happen at Fan 590 in 7 weeks when the Blue Jays are gone???
5 extra hours to fill per day!!!!
sure kollins has a BIG plan ,just like the morning show ooops
lookin forward to more Roger (get my hair pieces at Home Depo) La Wha listeners and advertisers will be lining up at the door…… maybe rob faulds??

FMT
FMT
August 27, 2010 10:47 pm

I wonder if 640 is doing a reverse Logans Run here, with Brady gone from the sports side and Downs gone from the general talk side they literally have nobody appealing to anybody under 50 on the entire station. Hayes is okay, but not somebody you build your sports programming around.

Faulds is like Lajoie (or Hayes) to me, I don’t think he’s awful like some do, he can fill in if every other option is out, but not sure he has that spark to be a regular top guy. I really like Blair, as a talk show hosts he is rough around the edges but he knows his stuff, has a good range of knowledge and I does a great job in talking calls and debating them. He and Arthur has great chemistry if they ever get paried up in a regular bases.

I know you mentioned it before but Lumby on Monday with ESmith and he kept calling him the Raptors colour guy/analyst made me laugh. He kept saying it, you’d think Smith would whisper to him or pass him a paper that he’s the play by play guy and there is a difference.

As for NHL not having bloggers come in, they do know that they will never compete stateside on mainstream media that there best hope in connecting to an audience is through blogs.

August 27, 2010 11:54 pm

Someone should probably tell FMT that Eric Smith is indeed the colour guy/analyst on the Raptors broadcasts on 590……………and Paul Jones is the play-by-play guy…………..maybe FMT got confused because they call each other “Jonesy” and “E” on the air

neoen
neoen
August 28, 2010 1:13 am

Would be interesting if the FAN ran a ‘test’ during Bobcats vacation. Every day, different host. Poll on the website for people to vote who their favorite is to be the ‘fill-in’ for Bob.

Faulds automatically should be removed, but I would be interested to see what all the listeners would think of and who they would pick if the week consisted of: Blair, Millard, Toth, Campbell, Brunt ( the last two would be interesting, dont think they’ve ever been a ‘host’ )

August 28, 2010 2:17 am

FMT – yeah, I’ve thought for a while that Blair and Arthur would be a great pairing. Rough around the edges as broadcasters, but very knowledgeable with interesting opinions.