Things Just Keep Getting Odder

Wow.

No, wow.

I come home from Las Vegas to record viewership and page views on this site and am more confident that there is indeed an appetite for another voice in the Toronto Sports Media scene. The on goings at the fan have proven that despite the loser vile title Toronto Sports fans are passionate about those who cover our teams as much if not more than the teams themselves.

Anyways, you may have read an article I wrote a few days ago entitled ‘saying nyet to the fan 590. The article is here : https://torontosportsmedia.com/sports-and-toronto/nyet-fan-590/8873 The story was about how the station has struggled to name/hire a new morning show. Now, I try to have fun with this site if you haven’t noticed. Some stuff is hardly original so I am not one to call foul very often. I understand that those that matter don’t write their own headlines so when something I’ve used appears in a headline somewhere I know not to worry. When a scribe used the same joke I did about the need for Richard Block and Gary Bettman to weigh in on Bob Mckenzie’s new 10 year deal I bushed it aside as coincidence. When Bruce Dowbiggin referred to Bill Hayes as Purple, something I’ve done for years here, I brushed that aside too. However, and maybe I’m being to sensitive here, but when I read this in Dowbiggins’ latest column even I start to wonder:

“Then there’s the FAN 590, also known as Bob McCown and the Other Guys. It appears that the crucial fall ratings book is starting without a permanent host for the morning drive show. While the optics are terrible as one potential candidate after another says nyet, at least you’re not losing ratings. The previous incarnation always languished about five games out of the wild-card position.”

Now, you tell me???????? Are there not a million different ways of saying that same thing? Is this not just a tad bit too much of a coincidence??????

Honestly, am I nuts?

@yyzsportsmedia

September 6, 2010 1:55 am

Speaking of “nyet”, hopefully 590 will be saying that to Lumby & Sammut sooner rather than later

September 6, 2010 8:11 am

you should add “proudly sponsoring the Globe and Mail” to your site’s masthead. that would be original and funny.

also, i would email some writers at other papers and ask if they feel the need to give credit to the blogs they read. I really like the Dave Fuller’s material at the Sun.

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
September 6, 2010 9:28 am

Immitation is the greatest form of flattery. Your site along with TSM Pressbox (Please, no no-name guests and touts this year) has really found a growing loyal audience. I would not think you need to send a cease and desist letter (which you as a lawyer can do) to the offending parties, but at the same time, they should be doing a better job of acknowledging where it came from.

With Houston seemingly gone for good from the sports scene, and others covering it that don’t come close to you for content and scoops, I am very excited as the guests for TSM Pressbox will only get better and better. By getting Brian Burke on plus several other notables, I expect that the bigwigs will now be contacting you to be on. You are the Sports Media version of Charlie Rose, and also the sports media conscience for all of us, and we appreciate it very much,

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
September 6, 2010 9:32 am

Btw, did you lay any future bets in Vegas? What was the Raptors Over/Under Season win totals in the various casinos and did you bet it? I had recommended passing on it, or going over, as their upside based on the mid-twenties # was far higher than going under that total.

September 6, 2010 2:38 pm

i’ve been listening to the podcasts of PTS from this past week (Blair needs to learn how to complete one sentence before he begins the next one … it would also be nice if he learned to compose a full sentence in his head and then deliver it, as opposed to forcing us to suffer through the mid sentence pauses) and they’ve started including the little promos rather than editing them out. here’s one of their clever in-house compositions:

“covering the only thing that matters: sports … and … chicks … but mostly sports.”

seriously, that’s the angle you want to take? pretty lame for Canada’s biggest sports radio station. TSN Radio where are you?

September 6, 2010 3:05 pm

I think your irritation is definitely justified.

I think Zelkovich is OK. Not much in the way of insight or scoops, but he seems to know what he’s talking about.

In my opinion, Dowbiggin is awful as a sports media columnist. Has no clue about what’s going on in the Toronto market especially. Probably why he has to rip you off!

As Toronto sports media writers go (MSM or blog) you seem to be the most plugged in by MILES. At least as far as I can tell.

Doug
Doug
September 6, 2010 4:15 pm

Looks like William Houston is done on this beat I popped in the other day to seee what ever happened to Truth and Rumours and there is a goodbye message the first thing posted in well over two months. Too bad he exposed himself as an old bitter man recently.

FMT
FMT
September 6, 2010 8:24 pm

I think paper writers are just so attracted to any blogger who can write things with mulit-language lol.

lt67
lt67
September 6, 2010 9:50 pm

Can someone explain to me how Dowbiggin has a job as a writer/journalist? I’ve never figured this guy out…awful with CBC and no better with the Globe…..

Gerry Dueck
Gerry Dueck
September 7, 2010 9:57 am

Have only recently come across your website. Thanks so much for doing it. I have wanted to do the same for years, just haven’t got the discipline to do the work behind the scenes.

Unfortunately despite the size of the GTA we have a very limited source of quality sports reporting in the area, especially now on the airwaves.

While in the past i have been frustrated with the talent on the Fan590, it has now come to the point where i only tune in after 3pm and only when Blair is NOT on the radio.

Keep up the work, as i read on your page, Z at the Star is okay, but Dowbiggin has been useless forever. I love Brunt at the Globe, but why Bruce has a gig there is a story in itself.

Cheers
Gerry in Burlington

Insider
Insider
September 7, 2010 4:16 pm

Imitation has nothing to do with flattery and everything to do with theft.

Word is the FAN will be announcing a morning man this week and it will be Andrew Krystal until a more permanent solution is found. That is assuming Krystal doesn’t prove to be a smashing success and stays.

This is the latest hot rumour at 590 headquarters.

Rob C V3.0
Rob C V3.0
September 10, 2010 8:16 am

I have only read this blog a few times – rediscovered it reading Dowbiggin today. It will be in my favourites now. Good job. And as you must know, Dowbiggin lost a job and a gig on PTS for ripping off other writers when he was writing in Calgary…how does that translate into a position with Canada’s National newspaper? Hw must have filthy photos somewhere. I post under the same name in his column. I voiw to be complimentary if I ever find anything good in Dowbiggin’s column. To date, I have only tossed turds there.