Awaken Krystal Nation??!! ESPN Radio!

Hey sports fans, here is the latest rumblings out of the Fan 590 as told to me by a few independent sources, Andrew Krystal will be taking over the morning slot currently occupied by Jeff Lumby. As for the permanence of this move, I have heard nothing myself about it being temporary despite a comment on an earlier posting on this site, and Don Kollins offered a very polite, no comment when I asked him about these changes. While I wouldn’t call the move “permanent”, my gut and brains tell me that it isn’t a move made with the intention of changing it. That is, unless the ratings dictate otherwise this is Krystal’s new gig. I don’t know that for fact, I am just guessing.

As for who takes over the slot currently occupied my Mr. Krystal, I am told that it could be a combination of Jeff Blair and Eric Smith. Again nothing confirmed but that is what I am hearing today.

Also, the Fan 590 will be bringin ESPN radio back starting this Sunday night . ESPN radio will air from Midnite to 5am 7 nights per week. ESPN Radio will be preempted by the Blue Jays when they are out playing in Western time zones.

Now, back to my bathrobe and basement.

@yyzsportsmedia

Mitch
Mitch
September 7, 2010 5:10 pm

Awesome. I would love that change. That way I only have to wait til 9 to turn on the fan instead of noon as I’ve had to do since the changes happened. (Sorry I find Krystal unlistenable) I’m still not impressed with the Hogan move but if it gets Blair and Smith a regular gig on the fan then I can get behind it.

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
September 7, 2010 5:12 pm

That is good news, as I rarely listen in the morning hours, except for small bits while preparing the kids lunches, so getting Krystal moved from 9:00 a.m. – noon is fantastic, as I can certainly listen to Smith/Blair although both of them are certainly not in the star category.

ESPN radio coming back overnight is a solid move as well. So far, seemingly 2/2, and addition by subtraction as well.

lt67
lt67
September 7, 2010 5:22 pm

I can’t avoid the FAN for my morning drive to work…While I am not a fan of Krystal, I have a feeling it will be better than listening to Lumly and Sammit….I can only hope. For those that listen to the radio at 9am, lucky you if Blair sticks in that slot.

TSM, you must now close all postings with “Now, back to my bathrobe and basement.”

R3000
R3000
September 7, 2010 5:29 pm

With Krystal being so completely unlistenable at 9:00, once people’ve had coffee, they actually think listeners will tune into to his shtick right when they wake up? Think again!
I don’t get Smith/Blair (Smith/Armstrong was awful as well) if they’re together, but if they’re one at a time, fine.
I already listen to ESPN Overnight on 550, so no net gain.
I was actually thinking today… with Shannon co-hosting PTS, I can actually not listen to this station until Wilner at 6:00pm (and even the first 1/2 hour of that drags), whereas even with its faults, it was on here pretty much all day every day.

Dileno
Dileno
September 7, 2010 5:38 pm

Krystal is a big change for the Morning Show in comparison to the last 2 versions of it, but I’m not sure it will be a better show. He just isn’t ‘sports’ enough for me. It just seems like I’m listening to 640 or CFRB when he is on.
As for the overnight programming, who cares what’s on at that time, don’t people sleep? It would be better if it was on evenings and weekends instead of repeats.

Rob
Rob
September 7, 2010 5:43 pm

This hilarious. Kollins must be feeling overwhelmed by all that’s happened. Now he’s stealing from Peter to pay Paul – a situation that he created by his free swinging of the axe a little too soon.

I’ve been listening more to Oakley lately, and even CBC from time to time in the car on the way in to work. I don’t listen to Krystal so I guess that will stay the same.

I am appalled though at the choices for the 9-12 spot. Jeff Blair is a decent fill-in on the radio and that’s about it. I’d take Lajoie over him.

Smith is just unlistenable to me. He is not particularly well-informed on things beyond basketball and his attitude (or the one he has on air) makes him sound like a meathead.

Sorry Fan, I won’t be listening to either Blair or Smith on any sort of regular basis.

Of course this just leads full circle. Are Jeff Blair and Eric Smith any better than Mike Hogan? I don’t think so and they’re probably worse. Might as well put Hogan back in that spot. But we know why Kollins won’t. If he did he’d be admitting he made a mistake. It’s becoming pretty obvious to everyone that he has made a few big ones, hence this situation wouldn’t be presenting itself. Eric Smith and Jeff Blair are his cover for Hogan’s removal from that spot and his attempt to save some respect. The guy has to know that he’s really in it deep now. I suspect it’s only a matter of time…

The ESPN overnight thing is surprising though. Makes you wonder if Lajoie is being downsized since he got a lot of time in that overnight spot. Whether this was really needed is maybe debatable. A live body in there until 2 a.m. everyday would have left a three hour gap on weekdays that could have been filled by re-running McCown in his entirety and probably be passable for those listening, all the while saving some cash. But, if they want ESPN that’s good too, just a bit surprised at this move.

R3000
R3000
September 7, 2010 5:50 pm

My $0.02 on Hogan:
That guy got dicked around more than once: remember the Bullpen, with some different meat puppet every day? Remember the Old Tother? Hogan should have been given a medal!
The 9:00 hour where he offered a topic was actually entertaining (to me), on a number of occasions.
The other two hours could sort of drag, but you could tell two things: he loved sports, and he researched his topics.

Mike
Mike
September 7, 2010 6:24 pm

Great! So now instead of not listening to The Fan during 9-12 I won’t be listening to The Fan during 6-9, a time slot that actually allows me the opportunity to listen on most days.

Good going Kollins, you sure are on your way to an epic disaster.

September 7, 2010 7:00 pm

What a total mess!

I would be optimistic about Strombo or Richards morning show followed by Krystal/Brady/McCown. That seems like a diverse and interesting lineup to me with some unique takes on sports.

But this move reeks of damage control. Kollins must have really screwed up to not have a real morning man for three months and counting. Even with shuffling Krystal, the lineup feels pretty unfinished.

That being said, I would like to see Blair have a regular show (preferably with a cohost), so I’m glad we’ll be hearing more of him. And adding ESPN is a good move. Evenings, late nights and weekends have been dead on the Fan for a while.

But if they were going to reshuffle with what they have, off the top of my head I think I would have preferred something like:

6-10: Brady (+someone else)
10-1: Krystal
1-3: Blair and Arthur (Just to throw out an idea)
3-6: McCown
6 – 7, plus after the game: Hogan/Stellick

And yeah – R3000. John Shannon seems like a good guy. But please! No more! It really takes away from the show.

September 7, 2010 7:14 pm

Having said that, maybe Krystal could work in some ways as a morning man. This could allow him to focus more on news/current events and not force sports all the time.

When I listen to him I often think that I would actually prefer it if he stopped struggling so much with sports and just did a couple non sports segments in a show.

That’s a lot more acceptable in morning drive.

Beleaguered Sports Fan
September 7, 2010 9:19 pm

It feels like Bryan Colangelo is running the Fan 590. Blow things up, make extreme, optimistic moves, then blow it up again for blowing up’s sake. The result is I have to keep learning new names and new styles. Krystal is like T.J. Ford. Right guy in the wrong place. So now he’s being traded for Jermaine O’Neal (a sloppy Peter to Paul analogy) just so they get something for nothing, realizing that the situation won’t work. So who are the Shawn Marion/Hedo Turkoglu parallels going to be? Joey Vendetta and Humble Howard??

I can’t stand this. I don’t know this radio station anymore. I don’t want to see the status quo necessarily, but there was absolutely nothing wrong with Mike Hogan, and the clear-cutting of talent was extreme and unthoughtful.

pk32
pk32
September 7, 2010 9:25 pm

Wow: Kollins had already lost me for the most part, but this seals it. Jays only. See you Fan590; it was nice to know you while you were still a good sports station. Anyone with recomendations for a good morning show and late night stuff, please suggest in the thread.

R3000
R3000
September 7, 2010 9:30 pm

Beleagured Sports Fan:
“I don’t know this radio station anymore.”
Dead on.

gunner4413
gunner4413
September 7, 2010 9:51 pm

Well the master plan has not turned out to well.Krystal 1st thing in the morning?
“Hogan” back before football friday would be great!
This station needs to get Bruce Arthur on in a regular time slot. He reminds me of a young Dan Shulman.
Maybe with some luck ” The Dude Mccormick” will not win a seat in the city council and they can get him on the air! As long as “I digress Farraway” stays in his office and not on the air i will be happy with any combination!

dsscpu
dsscpu
September 8, 2010 12:00 am

Lovin’ the news on ESPN Radio coming back… when they pulled it they claimed on-air it was for budget reasons so that they wouldn’t have to cut staff… now that they cut staff, bring back ‘the Cadillac’ as the Deacon called it… solves the overnight issue at the Fan…

Meanwhile, Krystal doesn’t appeal to me and I don’t tune in until 8:30 the earliest most days but normally around 10 or later so this is great news… and since I enjoyed Eric Smith in the afternoons him going to the 9-noon slot to talk some hoops will be a nice change…

FMT
FMT
September 8, 2010 12:11 am

I know a lot of hosts view the morning show as a great “get”. It’s a good for the ego to be known as the morning guy. But at times I find it as a curse because there are so much other stuff that goes with it. I am a big fan of John Moore on CFRB, and listened to him when he was their afternoon guy. He got promoted to morning guy and I was happy for him, I think he’s talented and glad to hear him getting a “higher level” spot. The problem is his great commentary talk show is now chopped up because of all the traffic, weather, ski, golf, stock market reports that go with the morning show and the flow of the show that I liked so much in his afternoon show is not there in the mornings.

So I’m conflicted, I like Brady a lot, and want the best for his career. But for a selfish reason if there’s a time spot that will cut into his style of free flowing talking so to be on a time spot where there is a “insert sponsor report here” constantly then heck let Krystal have it. I can live without a more talented host on a time spot where I can hear them for longer stretches without all interruptions that go with most morning shows.

So E Smith big goodbye about him leaving to spend time with his family & focusing on his Raptors duty & how the work was too much was just full out bullcrap, right? No surprise there, he’s perfected the bullcrap spin with the Raps & now national Bball team. If he returns it just shows how disingenuous he really is. Hate to say this, but there something about that guy that rubs me the wrong way, much more than the normal criticism of somebody as a host. Hopefully Blair can carry the show (won’t just nod his head in agreement like Armstrong did) I am surprised a daily columnists has the time to be able to do a daily program.He’s done a very good job on PTS. But does this mean he’s no longer PTS main sub-fo-Bob. Daniel agree, Blarthur would be great team

As for ESPN radio returning overnight. I wrote about this just a few days ago in the original Nyet story. I think it’s a good move. ESPN radio is strong during the NFL season. I like Bob Valvano on the weekends a lot. Jason Smith, not so much (which with me and radio hosts named Smith lol)

September 8, 2010 1:51 am

What a crazy few months in Toronto sports radio.

At 590, Kollins comes in and cleans house. But he doesn’t have a new morning show lined up, so he brings in Lumby as the interim guy. Kollins also moves McCown up an hour for no apparent reason. Now he is in full damage control as he inserts Krystal into the morning show. Hiring Brady has been his only good move, in my opinion.

Meanwhile over at 640 they cancel a decent show (Leafs Lunch) and they lose Brady. They do an extensive search for a replacement and they end up hiring Hayes, who seems like a nice guy but is just not very entertaining. And now they have given Son of Hayes his own show from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm.

This whole situation reminds me of the movie Major League, where ownership/management of a baseball team were trying to lose games on purpose. If I didn’t know better I would swear that 590 and 640 are intentionally trying to lower their ratings.

The good news for me is that I am the world’s worst morning person so if 590 puts Krystal on the morning show I will hardly be listening and I won’t feel like I have missed all that much in terms of entertaining sports radio

Blair
Blair
September 8, 2010 8:26 am

I guess I won’t be listening to the morning show now. What a mess.

I didn’t mind smith (although I don’t like basketball), but what about Seixcerio being a “side-kick” for Blair. He seems pretty knowledgable and easy to listen to.

According to the latest Fan Survey (opening letter from Kollins) Stellick is doing the “Blue and White” hockey show both pre and post game on game nights. That should be good. Also Greg Brady will be hosting “Centre Ice” with Kyperos and MacLean at noon. I also got the impression they may be going with a full-time weekend show (as some of the questions were geared in that direction).

Some people may of not liked Hogan, but it sure would be nice to get him back and restore some sense of familarity.

Listening has been very hard lately – coming from someone who never turned the Fan off during the day.

I’m still hanging in….for now.

Aurora Barry
Aurora Barry
September 8, 2010 8:32 am

Krystal in the morning..not my cup of java. Thats OK, I can listen to Derringer for the drive.

I would welcome Jeff Blair mid day, he actually knows sports.

Give us back a bone..Mike Hogan is largely mised.

September 8, 2010 8:54 am

Beleaguered Sports Fan:
It feels like Bryan Colangelo is running the Fan 590.

line of the thread. nice work.

in the US sports radio station choose between ESPN, FOX Sports, and Sporting News Radio for their overnight programming. ESPN is personality driven, FOX is really shtick-y, and SNR is pretty straightforward. It would be nice to see the FAN experiment with all three.

Blair + Arthur for 2 hours a day would be great. I’m not sure why Smith is still in the running for a time slot. He’s been around a while and has had his shot. He’s credible as a Raptors guy so they should just keep him on the game broadcasts.

Dileno
Dileno
September 8, 2010 9:22 am

The latest FAN590 survey states that Gord Stellick will debut his Leaf pre game show called “Blue and White Tonight” on October 7 and from 6:00 to 7:00 each game night. Also, live call-ins after the game on “selected nights.”
In addition, “Centre Ice” with Greg Brady, Nick Kypreos and Doug MacLean starts Monday September 13 at Noon.

September 8, 2010 9:36 am

so no raptors pre-game on those nights when both teams are playing? it seems weird that a rights holder would do a pre-game for a broadcast on a rival station rather than for their own broadcast. it’s also going to be confusing to go from a leafs pre-game to a live raptors game. then what about the post-game? are they going to cut off the raptors call-in show to do leafs call-ins?

doing a heck of a job there Kollins.

oldsalty
oldsalty
September 8, 2010 9:40 am

If this is true, I will not return to the FAN mornings. I don’t want anger and controversy in the morning, much less fake anger and controversy. Much less Don Kollins’s third or fourth choice for the time slot. Sad.

Sean
Sean
September 8, 2010 11:05 am

Beleagured Sports Fan:
“I don’t know this radio station anymore.”

Excellent quote.

TSM, I know he wont talk, but I think Mr. Kollins needs to talk a peek at the comments here, he is turning this adio station into something none of us know, or like.

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
September 8, 2010 11:07 am

Just a quick note about Arthur stepping in to play a more significant role i.e. host or co-host a show. I asked him this via Twitter late August if he was under consideration to be the other co-host with Brunt on PTS and he replied back that he just does not have enough time to do that along with his writing too, which is his top priority.

Given that plus his one year old twins, it ain’t happening, so we will just have to enjoy Arthur whenever we can get him on PTS, but hosting another time slot or more Arthur on PTS, out of the question. I have nor doubt that the FAN 590 and Kollins dream scenario would be for Brunt/Arthur to be alternate weekly sidekicks, and relegate Shannon and the other jokesters to listener status only.

I am pleased to read all of the other comments about the changes, as it is pretty much unanimous what a debacle it has been for Kollins outside of the Brady hire. I too love the Colangelo analogy, so true.

I would not be so hard on E.Smith, as for me, he talks hoops, which I want more of on the FAN, and as well, yes, he plays the corporate game to keep his employment, but it is rare to find someone step outside of that box and live to tell about it, especially post Wilnergate. What shocks me is how the Leafs are going to have a pre-game show before the Raptors broadcast? WTF? Is this possible? If what Mike says is true, this is totally unacceptable for me, a Raptors fan, but more importantly for the station, they are just hurting themselves by doing that. The FAN has now become a pick your spots station for me, and I will see how the dust settles further, but the days of it being on in the background for me all day are likely gone forever.

dgrollins
September 8, 2010 11:18 am

I was always a fan of Hogan’s I’m-just-a-fan-like-you style. It was comfort food radio. Also, through our shared love of CIS football, I also go to know him a little and helped him with some background on stories a couple times. Although I’d hardly say we were friends, I am biased. So, while I did see the need for The Fan to become a little younger and a little less stagnant, I also think that Kollins badly misread the demand for a total change.

The survey this morning got me thinking that Hogan would be perfect for a weekend morning slot. No one is listening for “edgy” radio at 9 a.m. on a Saturday. It would also allow Mike to focus on his biggest love — football — on Sunday mornings (and, as a bonus, get rid of the gambling show). I don’t know if his Argos (or personal) commitments would allow that to work, but I’d sure love to see it happen.

As an aside (and that said) I thought it was a mistake to get rid of the EPL coverage on Saturday mornings. Although I’m sure they weren’t ratings killers it was reaching out to a demographic that feels underserved and that might not normally listen to the station — that’s not a bad thing.

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
September 8, 2010 11:31 am

Sean, I just completed the Sports Authority Panel, and there is an open comments section at the end. I asked Kollins to check this site out, even posting the Web Page, and for him to do a TSM Pressbox. I have no doubt he has already read what is here, but just won’t own up to it.

Sean
Sean
September 8, 2010 12:08 pm

Coming out and speaking passionately about the future of the radio station, and selling us and other listeners on his vision would truly help us, at least I believe.

The “No Comment” does not exactly make me feel confident about the future of the radio station.

September 8, 2010 12:39 pm

With The Fan in disarray, it’s a funny time for 640 to move away from sports and into news/talk. They may have missed a good opportunity. I don’t see Hayes and Watters lasting too long.

dsscpu
dsscpu
September 8, 2010 1:27 pm

To Sean’s comment above, that was one of the thing’s that I admired when Nelson Millman was running CJCL. Often you would hear him either on the midday show or on PTS discussing changes at the station and even taking listener phone calls. The new administration hasn’t taken to that open approach.

Rob
Rob
September 8, 2010 1:49 pm

I don’t mind Stellick but there is no way I will listen to him over Andy Frost on 640. After five months of Wilner post-game shows (although I ‘ve tuned in a lot less to his show lately) I’m ready for someone who isn’t so full of himself.

I doubt that Hogan would be a good fit for weekend mornings nor should the man want to go back down to the junior ranks after all the years he worked there. The solution for him is to put him back in a weekday spot and I bet that one of these days he will have one of his yet again.

The weekend formula is a mess though but the lack of any sort of consistent events happening (baseball and soccer games are not at the same time week to week) make those crap shows like “Got Game” and “The Fantasy Show” so useful as they just run them whenever they have a gap. The minions who put them together may not realize how useless they are in the big picture since any loyal listeners wouldn’t have any idea when to find them.

It’s like Kollins has a formula for weekends:

Hours to fill on Saturday: 10 am to, say midnight = 14 hours

Baseball game and pregame: say 5 hours

TFC game and pregame: say 3 hours

Therefore time to fill = 14-5-3 = 6 hours

Hmm…, says Don, let’s see:

O.K.

Let’s start Replay at 10 pm instead of midnight and run “Got Game” and “The Fantasy Show” twice. And Lajoie and others don’t need to get hours today!

Seriously though, I do like the Outdoor Journal program on Saturdays. It’s in the perfect time (8-10) when not a lot of people are likely up and deep into sports. I believe that it is treated as an infomercial so it likely pays for itself and has a guaranteed amount of advertising built-in, so-to-speak, plus the guys on there are entertaining.

The Gambling show might be the same as far as being a sort of infomercial. I have no interest in it whatsoever and have rarely listened.

Sean
Sean
September 8, 2010 1:56 pm

I dont mind inside the lines. Its interesting for those of us who like to know the odds and smart plays.

@Dsspcu – I agree 100 percent. I think Kollins best move would be to take an hour on PTS and field calls from callers as well as questions from Bob. Do not hold back questions from either.

FMT
FMT
September 8, 2010 4:02 pm

RapDev, even the basketball fan in me doesn’t get much out of E Smith. Sure he might have connections in the NBA and if you want to hear the PBP guy from the Pistons or some front office guy of the Grizzles he might be good. But talking local (or national team) stuff I never got anything of substance from him. Like you said he might be too inside the box to get anything too critical from him when for a team with it’s lack of playoff success is very much deserved as much or maybe even more so than the other local teams (because expectations have always been higher for them, expectations hyped by guys like Smith)

With him every free agent is “putting the team over the top” and him saying Bosh is this loyal, humble, franchise player which I thought it was obvious that’s an exaggeration of Bosh character. Give me Stephen A Smith anyday, he’s a total jerk but gets stuff right about our team much more than the local guys do. Or if we want to talk about the national team and how they quickly just took Leo opinion and put everything under the rug concerning the Dalembert situation. Or not wanting to look deeper as to why our own players are finding every excuse not to play for their national team

There a few things that are so out there that I just can’t take him seriously. Like saying we can attract any player to play for the Raps because our games are “national here”. That’s just dumb, our own players could care less about TSN or SN being national here, why would a guy from Texas? And second example is him whining about Bonner not getting his citizen papers and if it was a hockey player it would happen. I must ask the fine folks of TSM, when on earth did this nation ever need to bring in a ringer from another nation to play for our national hockey team. Look I am critical of the hockey culture that overshadow other sports in this nation as much as anybody. But claiming that citizenship would speed up for a hockey player is just a bad and illogical example

I do think if you are you going to have broadcast of games, you should have some sort of pre/post game program. If not it sounds like you are just having that broadcast as filler. I don’t mind the alternative weekend programing, but the constant rebroadcasting it throughout the weekend is a bit much. I’m really surprised how popular Hogan is here, I always thought he was the least worst (is that a word) of the shows that got changed, he certainly listenable and decent at what he does but because of how long he’s been on I thought it became stale, but I understand why some like him, he did what he did pretty well. Agree with Blair, would be nice to do a promotion from within, but the pickings are slim, also agree Seixcerio would be best choice.

September 8, 2010 4:44 pm

and Bob is interviewing another Buffalo Bill this week. at least it’s the QB this time and not a lineman …

what a hypocrite and a sell-out.

Rob
Rob
September 8, 2010 6:35 pm

Bob has to be more careful about the image he paints.

I thought he was awfully hypocritical with his anti-Olympic approach that suddenly disappeared as they arrived. His original stance about the corruption and the hosing of many host cities was a breath of fresh air in the media but it seemed to me that Bob was “gotten to” in the build-up to the Olympics and by the time he got there they were the most wonderful event ever staged.

I think it’s important to remember that Bob is still a Rogers employee and at some level likely quite susceptible to memos coming down from above.

The more negative side of this is that it’s hard to separate which one of his digs or positions is truly that of an outspoken host that we love or one that is sanctioned from above in a “stir-up-the-listeners” plot.

The Business
The Business
September 9, 2010 8:46 pm

The thing that surprises me the most is the loss of Hockey Central at Noon. I completely don’t get whacking Daren Millard. He and Kypreos had a unique chemistry and were a truly compelling listen. Not only that, Millard played really well opposite Doug MacLean. Seriously, was it cash? I recall Daren joking on air about contract renewals…. maybe they couldn’t come up with a number?

And as for Andrew Krystal… what a total maroon. What kind of single cell amoeba would hire this guy and destroy the Fan’s core morning audience?

Don’t know about you guys, but I smell desperation in the air. Kollins and Krystal can’t be long for these parts after this debacle. Me, I’d kill to have [email protected] back with Millard, Kypreos and MacLean but that seems a pipe dream now. Damn!

September 9, 2010 11:30 pm

Dowbiggin writes that hiring Krystal to do mornings gives The Fan huge savings, instead of going after someone like Strombo.

If that’s the case, then why are they talking about putting Eric Smith in the mid morning slot? You’d think they’d reinvest that money into talent.

I like Eric Smith as a basketball reporter, but honestly I won’t be going out of my way to listen to his show.

As a listener, I’ve been willing to give Kollins a lot of patience with these new changes, but these latest moves just seem lazy.

pudge72
pudge72
September 10, 2010 10:55 am

Where to start…oh, where to start?

1) While my thought was to move Brady to the morning show with a rotating co-host, I think FMT makes an excellent point about that slot getting chopped up by traffic, business, etc. updates. In that respect, I am glad that Krystal, and not Brady, got moved because I can’t stand Krystal. It’s much easier for me to listen to Derringer or a CD until 9am that to have to give the Fan a pass until noon as had been the case with Krystal and his “brothers” being on from 9 – noon.

2) I am willing to give Smith/Blair a listen, though I don’t usually get much from Smith, and I’m not sure that Blair can carry three hours of programming going solo (if this a single, alternating as schedules dicate, host arrangement). Any way you cut it, it’s an improvement on Krystal “Nation” (another annoying bit of self-absorbed promotion from Krystal).

3) (cut and paste R3000’s 2 cents about Hogan here). Total agreement on these points. It’s unfortuante that his time on the Fan has been reduced to Argos broadcasts on-line as the Jays always seem to conflict with the Argos.

On this point…why doesn’t the Fan (read Rogers) put the Argo broadcasts on the air on sister station 680 News?

They already share sports broadcast personnel (i.e. for updates) and the times that Argos games are usually on (7 pm or later on weekdays, or on weekends) fall outside of the key rush hour times where 680’s bread and butter (i.e. traffic/news/business reports) exists. Oh that’s right…Rogers can’t run a sports property if it isn’t being run bass ackwards (see Sportsnet 1 and their complete mishandling of Jays games in September…Another rant for another day…hopefully when TSM starts a TV section, as was hinted at a couple of weeks ago in a posting.).

4) As mentioned by a couple of people, a huge “WTF?” shout out regarding a Leafs pre-game show on a station that doesn’t carry the Leafs??…before and after a Raptors game that it does carry??? I’m all for Stellick getting airtime, and a Leafs show makes sense in that regard, but this has the makings of some ‘awkward’ moments. How about Stellick as a floater co-host, or better yet…replace Richie Rich MacLean on Centre Ice with Stellick?! Please!!

So endeth the rant…

Sonny
Sonny
September 10, 2010 12:56 pm

Krystal in the morning?????? Hahahahahahahahahaha. Good luck Fan590. I’ll just get my buddy to read scores to me out of the paper on the way to work. No more Fan. Krystal is a dickhead.

Rob
Rob
September 10, 2010 2:11 pm

Putting the Argos on 680 would be radio suicide. All the years of building the “680 News” brand would be out the door as you can’t call yourself “all news, all the time” with an Argo game in the middle of it. They have a presence on the air with news and traffic on the ones and all the other things that they’ve done for over a decade. People have come to expect this and messing with it would be very detrimental to the brand they’ve built up. Even if they had Kollins as their P.D. they wouldn’t do that.

September 11, 2010 12:55 pm

According to Zelkovich, Krystal in mornings will be temporary unless he’s a hit.

pudge72
pudge72
September 13, 2010 6:13 pm

Rob…so are you saying Kollins WAS the PD at 570 AM in Kitchener, which is definitely supposed to be run in the 680 format (they share logos and several segments)? 🙂

Because despite being a 680 clone, 570 airs several sports properties otherwise (Kitchener Rangers, Jays…I think, McCown in the 6 to 7 pm slot).

It would be an interesting bit of market research to see if 680 listeners would accept an Argos broadcast if there were traffic updates during say each commercial break, or each intermission.