Gord and Damien Take Two

Quick hit here folks, but for those who remember the good old days of the Gord and Damien show on the Fan 590 I have good news. Sources are telling me that Damien Cox will be joining Gord Stellick for the pre-game portion on the Fan 590 prior to Maple Leaf games.

Personally I think this is great. I loved the shows when they were together. They are a little felix and oscar or ying and yang but they have good on air chemistry and I think the leaf fan will benefit.

More later

@yyzsportsmedia

Rob
Rob
September 14, 2010 5:50 pm

But this whole thing just seems so awkward. There will be Gord and Damien on the pregame. The puck is dropped and then what? Off to the Fan Replay? The Soccer Show? Inside the Argos?

Then when the game ends whatever programming is on there will be cut short to bring Gord back for a post-game show?

Maybe they anticipate acquiring rights for the games in the future and that would make a pre and post game show a lot more understandable. Until then it’s going to be a struggle to get people listening. Andy Frost has a following and Gord is just average.

Pat MaGroin
September 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Maybe a Kollins quote tomorrow “I have always seen Gord & Damien would be on for a pre and post game show on a product the Fan does not have the rights to“Daaahhhh
The fan HAS Argos,Jays,Rock,Toronto FC play by rights and other than Jays treat it like shirt…Ya me and all my friends and enemy’s will go out of our way to find a half hour pre-game show then dead air for 2-3 hours then come back for a post game show…
Where does the line start…O there is no line!!!!!!!

Bob Sakamano
September 14, 2010 6:37 pm

Ya I guess the ad dollars must just be rolling in for for a Post game show at 9:15 pm..or 9:30 PM or 9:42 PM or 10:02
well ya Korry`s

September 14, 2010 6:37 pm

That’s cool, I used to like Gord and Damien too. But, I still think PTS should return to 4 to 7. I haven’t really been sold on the whole 6 o’clock pre game thing. I love the Jays radio team, but I don’t think the pre game format is all that interesting.

The plan for the 6 oclock hour seemsl too irregular, and having the PTS replay thing on nights with no PBP is terrible.

Even if PTS ended at 630 and they only dedicated 30 mins to this weird limbo slot, that would be better.

September 14, 2010 6:40 pm

Or have a nightly 6 to 7 show that sets up the games that night, even if no Toronto team is playing. It just all seems too random for that important an hour.

Beleaguered Sports Fan
September 14, 2010 7:04 pm

The Fan is pretty messy right now, and I agree with Rob and Pat’s comments. But as messy as it is, I’m still listening for some reason. And I’m looking forward to hearing Damien and Gord again. I always tuned in on mornings when it was Damien’s day to be the “hockey insider”, and I don’t even like hockey. I know it’s cool to crap all over Damien these days, but while I don’t necessarily have an opinion whether or not he’s a credible writer, my basic human reaction is that he’s pretty good on radio, and has great chemistry with Gord. And since I don’t really like hockey that much, I won’t be weirded out by the fact that soccer or basketball or football will follow.

FMT
FMT
September 14, 2010 8:25 pm

Even though Damien has fallen in my media power ranking recently (ooooh topic idea on a slow news day…. you can have it TSM lol) Damien he still has great chemistry with Gord. They haven’t teamed regularly for over a decade so not sure how it will hold up. The temporary morning show pairing worked pretty well but can that be because the Stellick & Landry pairing was so bad, were they enjoyable just in comparison.

But I do think I will be loyal to Andy Frost, his reaction to Leaf fans are always hilarious. He does a great post game. As for pre-game, I never really listen to 640 pregame.

I know that WGR does the Bills pre-game and post game show but that is just once a week. Not really sure how that will work unless you just make that hour after PTS your evening hockey show no matter what. That might work, but would certainly upset Raptor fans who won’t get a pre-game unless they start their games a half an hour later but looking at there schedule seems like their games start at the top of the hour.

I will do something I don’t like doing, admit when I am wrong. I liked the idea of an hour pre-game show for the Jays (or any sports) but an hour seems too much. I still think a half hour pre-game show will be good. And is it just me or are they really cutting short the Jays post game show. I remember at times it would regularly go an hour, maybe at times over an hour. But now it seems to be cut to less than an hour. Is it that they are not getting the calls they had before or is the pre-game show taking time away from the post game.

Gunner4413
Gunner4413
September 14, 2010 9:31 pm

Well i am not a big fan of Andy Frost so this will be a good listen.But i am surprised that TSN is allowing Damien Cox to be on the Fan?As reported here Steven Brunt might not be back on PT because of his association with TSN.

Guest
Guest
September 14, 2010 10:46 pm

Wow, a lot of discussion and hype on a 29th place team by a staion that dos not broadcast the teams games….

Greg
Greg
September 14, 2010 11:59 pm

Is the Brunt thing because he is affiliated with TSN (is he?) or is it because he writes for the globe and mail (which will be part owned by Bell and which was under common onwership with CTV/TSN prior to the announced deal that Bell is buying CTV).

Rob
Rob
September 15, 2010 12:46 am

I wonder what the Fan will do when they recap the Leafs game on a night that the only broadcast was Leaf’s TV or AM 640. They’ll likely do as they did in the past, use the audio from the other teams broadcast while over on AM 640 they will be using home team feed. Not a big deal I suppose, but Toronto fans will likely prefer to hear the pro-Leaf play-by-play clips to whatever the Fan comes up with.

The baseball pregame thing would be listenable if they went back to the way Scott Ferguson used to do things and run down all the games in depth. He would also often go over the standings, league leaders in various categories and genuinely be interesting. At some point it has become all about the Blue Jays and the Blue Jays only, to the detriment of everything else. There are only so many useful tidbits that Jason Frasor or John MacDonald can say, despite the attempts by Jerry and Wilner to make these athletes sound like Patton and Eisenhower.

What baffles me is that then they turn around and air, as filler, the famously sporadic “Fantasy Show” which sometimes includes more detailed talk about Major League Baseball than Wilner has on his show. Some of this talk would fill time in the baseball pregame easily and provided it wasn’t heavily focused on fantasy leagues, could be interesting to the diehard baseball fans.

What we have too often now is stuff like Wilner interviewing some player who just got sized for a cup and might have a hope in playing in rookie league next year. The cliches from these players just roll in Jerry and Mike’s interviews and I’m sure if you asked either of them what they thought of this one hour pregame idea they’d tell you it was bulls–t.

Jerry is past his best-before date and just increasingly sounds way over the top with his cries of “Way to go young man, your first complete game” and the constant recap of what’s happened in the game, seemingly every half inning.

And then you get to Wilner and his tired old shtick at the end. It just isn’t fresh anymore. Some of the drivel that Wilner and the coaches talk about after the game in “Coach a day” feature or whatever they call it isn’t revealing and just seems to be filler. Rick Langford just doesn’t sound comfortable on the radio so why put him through it on a seemingly weekly basis.

Hopefully Damien and Stellick can do better but I’m afraid, through no fault of their own, they will have an uphill battle.

September 15, 2010 1:00 am

I enjoy Damien on the radio so if we are going to get more of him then that would be a good thing………….he and Stellick always had pretty good chemistry so this show might work………….the best part about them being paired together is that when Stellick says something not very logical (which happens quite often) Damien always calls him on it

lt67
lt67
September 15, 2010 8:54 pm

While I’ve been very, very disappointed with Damien’s pieces in the Star…fluff, fluff, fluff….I agree that he does a good job with Gord on the radio….should be good.

BTW, did anyone have the misfortune of listing to Farraway and Hendrick this morning? I came close to emailing Kollins to beg him to bring back Lumley and Sammit 🙂

Lads
Lads
September 17, 2010 11:53 am

I can’t listen to Farraway….sure he’s a nice guy but I cannot stand his dumb attempts at jokes…….Lumby was good.

Did Landry surface anywhere?

Polsixe
Polsixe
October 21, 2010 11:33 pm

So Gord must have eaten a huge sh** sandwich, fired from the #2 show then crawling back to do 82 game day night shifts. 640 or the TV cable shows not hiring? Having to come on with Krystal in the mornings for the daily hype and get his face rubbed in it must be tough. Damien has turned into a Steve Simmon’s sneering anti-everything. They used to be two cool guys.