Bikini OTD Sports Radio Tonight

Here’s your bikini of the day from GetABikini.com

On Fan 590 Tonight-

– Bob McCown’s co-host from 4:00 to 6:00 is John Shannon
-Brian Cooper
-Dave Perkins

On 640 with Bill Hayes and Bill Watters thanks to Mike S.:
– Bob MacKenzie of TSN on hockey
– Bob The Bear Cowan with his NFL picks
– Darcy Tucker
– Darren Dreger of TSN on hockey

Note: One of the weaker night in Toronto Sports radio history. The 5-6 hour on Prime Time up again Bob the Bear Cowan was one of the worst in recent memory

Ron
Ron
October 2, 2010 1:33 pm

You are right…that PTS roundtable was one of the worst I’ve heard in recent years.
On a side note, I spoke with a guy who has done work for the station, and he said it’s definitely radio consultant Rick Scott who’s running the show and making the decisions. He said they wanted to extend PTS to 4 hours, but of course McCown wanted 25% more money, so they balked. He also agreed that the show needs Brunt back in a big way. I mentioned the hatred most of us feel for J Shannon, and he said that the station is aware of the complaints. My question is, if they are aware, why aren’t they doing anything about it? I cannot listen to that show when Shannon is co-hosting.

October 2, 2010 2:31 pm

I was so tired of hearing Shannon, that I sent a respectful email to the station basically saying ‘I’m sure Shannon is a talented guy, but it would be great to hear someone else cohost PTS’. Farraway wrote back that Shannon would return to being a rotating cohost once in a while after yesterdays show.

Funnily enough, Farraway also said that Eric Smith would return to Raptors duty after Friday (yesterday) as well. I took that as meaning that he wouldn’t be doing 9 – 12 anymore, but I might have misunderstood.

Interesting that they wanted PTS to be 4 hours. Can’t blame McCown for wanting to be compensated. Why don’t they split the difference and have McCown do 3 1/2 hours? 3:30 – 7. I really don’t enjoy this random 6 o’clock hour with pregame and replays. Extend McCown or put an actual show in there, IMO.

Sam
Sam
October 2, 2010 3:16 pm

That was a bargain because McCown should have been entitled to 33% more!

But seriously, on the nights they struggle to get decent guests or have good topics, the fourth hour would be a killer. I’d say three hours a day is enough. Thank God the Jays have been worth talking about this summer.

October 2, 2010 3:26 pm

Sam – true. If it was 4 hours, you’d need a good cohost, for sure. Someone who could bring his own stuff to the table.

October 2, 2010 4:37 pm

If Smith might be returning to Rators duty why did they re-name the 9:00 to 12:00 show “The Eric Smith Show”?……………..then again, these are the same people who re-named that show “The Mike Hogan Show” and then dumped him a few weeks later.

I can’t keep track of all the names of the shows on 590 anymore………….the noon hockey show is now called “Hockeycentral at Noon” again…………..when I heard that they were planning on calling it “Centre Ice” I was wondering if they had made sure the TV network of the same name was OK with that…………..I guess they didn’t do that, because they ended up changing the name after only a couple of weeks

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
October 2, 2010 11:10 pm

Ron, like you, I can’t listen to Shannon either, regardless of who the guests are. Brunt’s absence just can’t be replaced, end of story. The FAN must find a way to negotiate and get him back somehow, and yes, McCown on from 3:30 – 7:00 p.m. or even from his 4:00 – 7:00 p.m. slot would be far better. That 6-7 hour is a complete waste of time.

We all seem to be in agreement that PTS has really lost its lustre with losing Brunt, Arthur not prepared to step in more due to his writing/family committments, and having Shannon pretty much there all the time. Thankfully he is going to be on less, but any Shannon is too much as far as I am concerned.

Ron
Ron
October 3, 2010 10:12 am

Clearly McCown wields an enormous amount of power at that station, as is evidenced by the Friends of Bob who regularly appear on the roundtables and PTS: Shannon, Gord Kirke (who contributes little of interest), Wayne Parrish, Brian Cooper, Dave Perkins, Jim Kelley, etc. I thought they were really reaching a few weeks back when they had Derek Aucoin on the roundtable (guy who had a cup of coffee with the Expos a decade ago), and then they brought him back to do it again! You can’t find anyone better qualified than that?
But surely the station PD and consultant must known the anger out there about Shannon, and I’m sure they’re trying to get Brunt back. If they’re not, that means that clearly McCown does whatever he wants, or that the guys running the show there aren’t that bright.
On another note, I’ll be thankful when Jays season ends, as I think PTS devotes WAY too much time to the Jays. I know they’re both owned by Rogers, but, every roundtable is filled with Jays talk, and Anthopoulos is on the show once a week. Enough already!

Sam from Scarbrough
October 3, 2010 10:43 am

Quite simply,The FAN 590 is absolute mess.
Many hours of live programing is just NOT listenable.
And, a added bonus starting Monday they have 4 more hours to fill (No Blue Jays)
Anyone think Mr. Kollins is at fault??

October 3, 2010 1:51 pm

Ron – Fair enough that you don’t like baseball, but what would you rather PTS talk about during the summer? As far as local teams go, it’s only the Jays, Argos and FC playing for several months. Not really sure what else you’d devote those segments to.

I actually think PTS does a great job of even handedly covering the 4 major sports. It’s one of the reasons it stays interesting, IMO. The alternative is something one note, like the Bill Watters show.

October 3, 2010 1:54 pm

Just looked at The Fan schedule out of curiosity, and from 9 -12 this week it’s ‘The Eric Smith Show’ hosted by Jeff Blair all week.

That makes sense…?

Cam
Cam
October 3, 2010 2:14 pm

Friday night’s round table was particularly weak. Usually I can ignore it but Shannon’s penchant of inserting hockey references into every conversation really got to me. However, based on the other segments I tuned into during the day … it was still the strongest offering of the day … so Sam from Scarborough I would agree it is a mess ….

Perhaps it is just me and my schedule, but it is like trying to get the temperature from the weather network, whenever I tune in it is a commercial with no weather information. Likewise these days when I tune into the Fan it is either the host on some solo diatribe or a call-in segment with no real informed information.

McCowan had a poll earlier in the week regarding the call in segment. He said he was doing this poll as he did not necessarily want more but the PD was trying to convince him to do more. Did not hear how this ended up, did he share the results?

When McCowan was thanking the roundtable guests, he did thank Perkins for behaving himself this time. I wonder if Burke has yet to return Bob’s call from the last time Perkins was on…

October 3, 2010 2:40 pm

Yes McCown did a poll this week, asking listeners whether they want his show to go back to having phone calls every day instead of twice a week………..Kollins and the consultant having apparently been trying to convince McCown to go back to having calls every day………..McCown is reluctant to do that, so that is why he decided to do the poll…………he claims that almost 80% of the people that voted said that there should only be calls twice a week

Sam from Scarbrough
October 3, 2010 4:14 pm

CFRB..just got wind Mike Toth has a 1 hour sportstalk show every Sunday afternoon…did not hear,but will make a point of tuning in next week..
Anything 590 comes up with I do not go out of my way to listen!!!

Smack
Smack
October 3, 2010 11:25 pm

Mike Toth?!?!

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Smack
Smack
October 3, 2010 11:41 pm

@Ron – too much baseball? What we you like to hear more? Surely not more Leafs talk.

Myself, I find the Bobcat relatively balanced with respect to variety of sports coverage compared to most Fan hosts. Still too much hockey for my taste, though.

Andrew
Andrew
October 4, 2010 10:30 am

Hearing him do the poll about taking calls, it occured to me that most of us would vote no just because Kollins thought it was a goos idea to take calls. Between Shannon every week and the earlier start time, I find myself missing the show altogether often now. And yet the sun continues to rise every day.

Krystal was up to his usual habit of cutting off people in the middle of their answers this morning. I wonder how long it will be before people start declining the opportunity to go on wiith him.

Gordo’s hockey show starts soon. The call screeners will be busy trying to prevent people from saying how much they miss him in the morning and by extension, how awful the morning show is now.

gunner4413
gunner4413
October 5, 2010 10:46 am

I am just back to listening to The Fan after a summer of being insulted by the on air replacements.Now it is like reality radio!enough with the phone calls already!I really don’t want to hear Raptorized John’s oppinion on every topic!i want to hear from the experts.One more call from Vito in woodbridge saying that the Leafs will win the cup this year will make me throw up in my mouth!I Tweeted Brady about the subject of phone calls and he said it is the choice of the host?But after Mccown did the poll i have to question this.Mike and Mike in the morning on ESPN has really grown on me. Now i don’t even check in on Krystal but it sounds like things have not changed.Maybe they should team up Maclean and Shannon and let them talk over each other for a few hours aday!

Slim Whitman
October 5, 2010 5:39 pm

Spin the 590 wheel, you to could have your own show starting next Monday.
The Fan has become an insult to listeners!