Humour In The Toronto Sports Media

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes. Must be a full moon out there. First the Toronto Sun published an odd, yet lame photo on Nazem Kadri on the cover of their much improved (no Loewen) sports section, then Brian Burke lowered the hammer in response. Then in a different matter Richie Rich Maclean hammered Darren Millard on the Sportsnet hockey preview, and Millard recovered well with Kypreos:

Ok, so first the cover- courtesy the fine folks at PPP and Jeffler

The odd thing about the photo is that the story that it teases is about how well Kadri is dealing with his demotion.

Anyways…..

Brian Burke hit one out of the proverbial park when telling Sportsnet:

“The (Toronto) Sun has great value if you own a puppy or a parakeet.”

Now that is gold Jerry, GOLD….

Meanwhile this evening on the set of Sportsnet’s hockey preview Richie Rich MacLean- who went to town on hockeycentral at noon (love the new/old/new name) on the Sun and then about Andrew Krystal’s interview with Kadri’s dad this morning.

The highlight came when Darren Millard was talking about Roberto Luongo and the Vancouver Canucks, when Millard intimated that Luongo gave up the captaincy, Richie Rich replied with:

“Saying Luongo gave up the captaincy is like saying you quit your radio job”

Ouch!

Then later in the show, Theo Fleury was talking to Nick Kypreos when Kypreos said to Millard ” you should be on the “battle of the hosts”? Millard, much to his credit quickly responded with, ” I lost that one already”.

Finally, Steve Simmons posted a great Ron Wilson story on his blog, you can find it here
All in all a good day in the big smoke.

On Wednesday’s edition of the TSM Pressbox I will be talking to Sean Mccormick, formerly of Sportsnet, now a candidate for Toronto City Counselor. Email or post any questions, I will try to get to them.

@yyzsportsmedia

Sandy
Sandy
October 6, 2010 9:16 am

Why does Sean McCormick keep saying he nobly quit Connecetd to run for City Council? Back in May, he told Bob McCown he intended to stay on the air, which he did for almost a month, and THEN he quit. Sounds like Nelson Millman made him quit.

Did Sean know in May that he would have to quit? If he didn’t, isn’t that pretty reckless?

Listen to the podcast yourself, from the 6 minute mark, and decide for yourself if quitting was really part of Sean’s plan.

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
October 6, 2010 9:38 am

I had no idea that McCormick said he had nobly stepped down to run, but after listening to the Podcast there is no doubt at all that his first choice was to keep his position at Sportsnet while campaigning for his election to the City Council.

If he indeed is on record stating that he stepped down on his own volition, that is not at all what he told PTS and should be asked about it.

Other than that, I do not find him a compelling sportscaster at all and really have no interest in what he has to say on sports topics or politics for that matter.

Cam
Cam
October 6, 2010 10:12 am

And then of course there was Kelley’s strange PTS assault on what seemed to be all things Canadian from supporting the last Canadian based team in the playoffs to covering Canadians who win medals be they bronze at international events … Kelley did say he felt the need to respond to a comment from McCowan regarding Americans and hockey given his show is heard in New York … but to me this seemed a tad over the top

I have never been a Kelley fan and perhaps I am being overly sensitive but given this is Toronto based media outlet and he is a tired recycled Buffalo sports writer… o wait the FOB rule… anyone know what Hasek is up to these days

Sandy
Sandy
October 6, 2010 10:27 am

What Sean specifically said, and if Rogers ever posts the debate video you can see for yourself, is this:

“Let me start by saying that I did not take a leave from my 15 year career as a broadcaster. I quit my job, because I feel passionately not only about the issues in Ward 19 but also the issues in this election as a whole.”

Al from Burlington
Al from Burlington
October 6, 2010 11:14 am

Why would anyone care what Sean McCormick has to say about sports or politics?

Sean
Sean
October 6, 2010 12:30 pm

Here Here Al lol

Ziggy
Ziggy
October 6, 2010 12:40 pm

Who is Mccormick supporting in the mayoral race?

Rob
Rob
October 6, 2010 2:20 pm

Did I just hear Brady say that Farraway would be filling in for McCown today??? Hopefully I heard that wrong (in which case this post is nonsense) but I’m sure I heard right. Bob did say he getting sick yesterday…

If so, my God, is the bottom of the barrel or what?! Six hours of the main part of the broadcast day (6-6) with two hosts that are marginal fill-ins at best (Blair and Farraway) and that’s giving Krystal the benefit of the doubt.

At the rate Doug bumbles along it will take him three hours to say what Bob could have said in half an hour.

And what’s with MacLean at lunch barking at callers to “get to the point”. There is nothing in Doug’s act that makes me think he’s actually the ballbreaker he wants everyone to think he is. When he tries to paint the image he goes so over the top that he looks more pathetic than the tough guy commentator that he wants to be viewed as.

Steve-O
October 6, 2010 2:40 pm

Even Steve Simmons said he was not impressed by the headline in the Toronto Sun regarding Kadri.

As for the Fan, whether you call it an edge or just plain grumpy, with the likes of Krystal, Blair and MacLean to go along with McCown, it sure is not as caller friendly as it was with the days of Hogan, Gordo and Landry who were people friendly

Cam
Cam
October 6, 2010 4:03 pm

I only heard the first part of the hockey central, noon ice whatever the hell they call it show and it struck me that your picture of Rodney Dangerfield is more than appropriate.

It seems to me to be a matter of respect or more appropriately the loss of it. I don’t know if it ever existed in sports media but in the actions of people like Cox and the Bautista harpoon, the Sun picture, Maclean and his almost giddy recounting of the Luongo comments, Krystal at any given moment and countless others it seems more and more prevalent.

It is certainly not only the domain of sports media but I will leave the wider implications to others. There is debate, conflicting views and pointed commentary here but seldom if ever does it cross that line.

I am curious what others think is that at the base of what we are seeing now at the fan and other outlets … or is just the old saw of don’t care what you say about me just don’t stop the talking …

Smack
Smack
October 6, 2010 5:34 pm

Personally I find the call-in segments to be painful. The callers range from the uninformed to the moronic (and the distribution is heavily skewed to the clueless side). It would take a special person not to get frustrated. I couldn’t do it. In fact I get frustrated just listening so I usually turn those segments off.

Who are these people that actually want to listen to the call ins?

Dok
Dok
October 6, 2010 6:12 pm

Agreed

I hate the phonein parts of any radio show and usually skip them if I am listening on a podcast. Best way that I can describe them is cringe worthy