The Star Out Of The Sports Media Biz?

Thanks to Mike S. for pointing this out from Chris Zelkovich’s Sports Media Blog. Zelkovich hadn’t updated it in quite awhile but Mike found a comment on his last post:

“Apologies for this, but I guess I had been hoping The Star would change its mind. The sports media column and blog have been terminated by The Star as the sports section changes its focus. To all those who read it regularly, or just dropped in from time to time, I thank you.
Chris Zelkovich”

So I guess the Star doesn’t think the business of sports media is all that important or popular.

Too bad.

@yyzsportsmedia

Here’s the article with the comment

Sam from Scarbrough
October 8, 2010 3:03 pm

Chris was Excellent, great info and opinions. So sad one of the top 5 cities in North America gets less info.Thank you Toronto Star !!

Al from Burlington
Al from Burlington
October 8, 2010 3:47 pm

I feel bad for Chris, but this is exactly why I like reading blogs like TSM and others. You get (usually) faster breaking and unbiased news, some true, some not, but the fact is it is out there instantly. Newspapers are really becoming redundant more and more each day.

Raptors Devotee
October 8, 2010 5:09 pm

Real shocker as I enjoyed reading Chris’s columns and follow him on Twitter. I was wondering why he kept writing Argo articles without any sports media coverage. I just wrote a note on his blog page (subject to approval) where I linked your site, since there are likely lots of people that don’t know you exist, but should. We will see if it gets published or not.

I agree with Al, as Chris has interesting reads, but they are not published often enough, and he did not get the quick hits out there like TSM does. At the same time, they both are of value to me and I am sorry to hear that The Star does not see the value in Chris’s column.

October 8, 2010 6:12 pm

great, now Dowbiggin is the only MSM’er reporting (and i use the term loosely) on sports media.

i expect traffic here will increase as a result. i can’t remember how i found this site but i think it was off a mention in the Globe. keep up the great work TSM

October 8, 2010 6:15 pm

The Sun used to have a sports media column for many years but got rid of it…………the Star has now done the same thing…………the Globe used to have William Houston but now we are subjected to Dowbiggin…………meanwhile Houston started up an entertaining blog last year but has already bailed on it.

I find all of this a bit hard to believe………….there is probably more interest in sports media than ever before but we are now getting less and less coverage of it…………doesn’t make much sense to me……………I have been fascinated by sports media ever since the days of Rudy Martzke (USA Today) and Ken McKee (Toronto Star)………….it’s a good thing there are websites like this to help fill the void

Steve
Steve
October 8, 2010 7:11 pm

I was wondering whether this is the only/main site to look at sports media in Toronto, so I guess this confirms it.

Keep up the good work.

Steve-O
October 8, 2010 11:13 pm

I agree with Mike S. I think that there has been a thirst for sports media coverage in this country.

The Fan 590 and the changes that they have made have been a obvious and much discussed sports topic.

However, there has also been much discussion around Hockey Night in Canada, HD and 3D TV, Olympics coverage and many, many sports personalities.

In Edmonton, the discussion around the succeser to Rod Phillips was a heavily discussed topic on line and in the mainstream media.

People care about those who bring them game coverage, sports news etc.

Surely there is enough of an audience to warrant a consistent sports media column in Canada.

trackback
October 10, 2010 1:24 pm

[…] Sports Media laments that Chris Zelkovich is no longer on the sports media beat for the Toronto […]

Mullah_Kintyre
Mullah_Kintyre
October 12, 2010 2:31 pm

Any chance you can get a weekly BBM TV ratings list of the most watched sports events — maybe just for the Greater Toronto Area, instead of national like Zelkovich had? Nothing against the prairies or the CFL, but hopefully everyone can understand that a million people in Saskatchewan, Manitoba, etc. watching a Bombers/Riders game may not be as important here as it is there.

Dileno
Dileno
October 13, 2010 11:33 am

I think this is due to MSM not wanting to piss off other MSM outlets (ie: TV networks) as Chris would regularly point out the most egregious abuses of language, redundancy, inane chatter, truisms, etc. found on sports broadcasts. It’s a shame, because they should not be allowed to get away with shoddy work.

David
David
June 24, 2011 3:15 pm

Mullah; a million people watching is a million people watching. It doesn’t matter where they live. The fact that 1.5 million people watch CFL games doesn’t detract from the fact that only 750k watched an NHL or NFL game. I think if anything, it shows that Canada isn’t Toronto and there are far more people in Canada interested in a lot more than the couple of things people in Toronto watch.